Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
This is the bureaucratic nightmare I've stepped into... I am only going to hope that the US delivers this information quickly within the 30 day period.
28 days and counting. The FOIA request hasn't changed beyond "submitted" in the last day and a half, and I asked for an expedited case.
Is it just the travel history? Did you try this https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search ?
My guess is if it is just entry exit inot /out of US then this link should give the result which maybe accepted by IRCC.

Reactions: CitizenOrNot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is the bureaucratic nightmare I've stepped into... I am only going to hope that the US delivers this information quickly within the 30 day period.

I can't believe the Canadian officer requires this when my Canadian dates match perfectly, that should have been the accuracy verification they needed. So unnecessary!

Thank you for providing your experience and support.

28 days and counting. The FOIA request hasn't changed beyond "submitted" in the last day and a half, and I asked for an expedited case.
I don’t

This is just a little stumbling block and not a bureaucratic nightmare. Just wait it out and hopefully you will be back on track.

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I just got concerned, because after $630, most of the year waiting, and passing the test I just can't believe something could go wrong at this stage. A delay of 3-6 months is rather extreme, if it comes to that.
@CitizenOrNot - I can completely understand your frustration because something similar happened last year to a friend of mine here in Halifax (also a US citizen, also given a CIT 0520 after test requesting US CBP FOIA entry/exit dates). He had to wait about 8 months before CBP responded to his request, but he eventually got it, forwarded it to IRCC and became a citizen.

I am also a US citizen and my situation isn't the same as yours but I can tell you that unless you spent nearly the entire 3 year residency period in Canada without leaving, there's a chance IRCC will put more effort into scrutinizing your background. I applied for citizenship in December 2018, took my test in June 2019 and will become a citizen next week, but there was a 6-month wait in between taking my test and getting DM/ceremony invite because IRCC ordered a more in-depth CSIS check/security clearance on me, likely because of the amount of travel I've done and the fact that I've visited some unusual countries. When I become a citizen next week it will be almost 12 months to the day after I applied, 6 years after I became a PR and 8 years after I first applied to emigrate. If your timeline is anything like mine, another 6-9 months isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019

I can't believe the Canadian officer requires this when my Canadian dates match perfectly, that should have been the accuracy verification they needed. So unnecessary!

Thank you for providing your experience and support.

Best of luck!

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks for that, it gives me a general idea of what to expect.

If the US drags its feet, I may get the entry/exit form in April 2020, once I submit to Citizenship it might take another several weeks. I'm guestimating my citizenship oath will be roughly around the beginning of summer 2020.

Doesn't make me happy to wait all this time, but I have come to accept this is what is likely to happen.
Best of luck for a speedy process. Yes, happens sometimes unfortunately. But don't be stressed about and have a good time :)

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Just an update, my 30 day requirement is now being passed, US still stonewalling and I called them to ask. All the US will say is it will be done when its done, and the letter I received said 3-6 months, so that's 2-5 months since its been about one month already.

So, for others who get this request, the officer will not expedite apparently. You have to wait the US process out. I advise ALL who apply for citizenship and have visits to the US to request this FOIA report 3 months in advance of an anticipated test/interview date just to reduce the stress. Most people may not be asked, but if you are this is a free report that ensures you won't have to wait unnecessarily!
Oops. That's unfortunate. Hope you get it much sooner than that. Now that your 30 day deadline has exceeded, did you notify CIC about this situation? What do they say? Thanks

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
I already have, part of the reason I phoned was to confirm receipt of the FOIA update I sent to them in the mail, and they at least confirmed that. But my point is the call centre doesn't really help, about all they do is look at a file and give basic information about updates. And of course, they follow the rules exactly and can't think outside the box (probably aren't allowed to). So they won't send a message to the officer handling your case unless its beyond a standard wait window, which anyone who deals with IRCC knows standard waits are excessively long. My only recourse now is if the US still hasn't furnished me with an FOIA entry record request by late March, I can call the call centre to ask them to request an update from the officer and see what can be done. With more waiting afterwards. I am at the mercy of the US FOIA process, which is not quick and a headache onto itself.

Yes, this process is frustrating. I've already passed my test (20/20) and I should be getting a ceremony, instead this nonsense will continue for months yet. Again, it is not the end of the world, it is just irritating and frustrating.

One thing the call centre agents let slip to me was that "they know FOIA takes more than 30 days" and therefore, the officer who pulled this on my case knew the 30 day requirement wouldn't be met, yet she kept saying "its all good, you're application is good" to placate me. She acted as if this was a very quick verification that would be completed without delay, not informing me of what it entailed.

...Again, its annoying. This was entirely within the officer's discretion and wasn't necessary. Not knowing the background on 0520 or FOIA US requests, I thought this process would take maybe a week or so. I wasn't expecting a setback of months. I had to learn this all after the fact.
Yes, really unfortunate. Hopefully this will be over soon. Relax and have a good time :)

RKCK

Nov 2, 2015
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
07-11-2015
Doc's Request.
19-02-2015 Travel History
AOR Received.
01-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-12-2015
Just an update: it took the US fully 3 months to deliver my entry/exit records via FOIA. While I am happy it wasn't more absurd like 6+ months, it wasn't a short wait. They delivered the files electronically almost 3 months to the day after my test and request with Canadian citizenship authorities.

So if anyone else is going through the FOIA process before Citizenship approves your application, this is the current experience I had.

While I was less understanding about that delay, I am far more understanding about the Covid-19 delay. My application was switched to Decision Made last week, and now I'm awaiting Oath. Hopefully we all get through this and the virus wanes.

Much luck and best wishes to all!
Did you get a physical copy or did you have to download it? I applied for mine on March 5th. I guess I can expect it only in June.

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Just an update: it took the US fully 3 months to deliver my entry/exit records via FOIA. While I am happy it wasn't more absurd like 6+ months, it wasn't a short wait. They delivered the files electronically almost 3 months to the day after my test and request with Canadian citizenship authorities.

So if anyone else is going through the FOIA process before Citizenship approves your application, this is the current experience I had.

While I was less understanding about that delay, I am far more understanding about the Covid-19 delay. My application was switched to Decision Made last week, and now I'm awaiting Oath. Hopefully we all get through this and the virus wanes.

Much luck and best wishes to all!
At least one good news. Glad to know that. Yes, some more wait due to Covid-19 now. Best of luck!

Alberta30

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
I received 0520 in November 2019 after I did the citizenship test. My application date is March 19, 2019, I submitted the required documents by Mid December and my timeline was not prolonged in early March 2020 decision was made in my Ecas. In regards to travel records, they specifically asked me for I-94. Do not be disheartened, I two was told by multiple persons that months would be added, and that was not the case the 1-year processing was met by IRCC.