+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SuperVisa stay and other questions

soucal

May 26, 2010
Hi immigration experts, would appreciate your help with these questions:

1. I am the only son, my mom is 70+ and alone in her home country. Does it make any difference for parent sponsorship? Is something like humanitarian and compassionate reasons taken into account?

2. Since my mom is 70+, it is getting increasingly hard for her to fly back and forth in and out of Canada. Is there any way to stay on SuperVisa longer than 2 years until she gets her immigration approved?

3. On SuperVisa, do parents get to stay in Canada for 2 years each visit, or 2 years first visit only, then 6 months each subsequent visit?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi immigration experts, would appreciate your help with these questions:

1. I am the only son, my mom is 70+ and alone in her home country. Does it make any difference for parent sponsorship? Is something like humanitarian and compassionate reasons taken into account?

2. Since my mom is 70+, it is getting increasingly hard for her to fly back and forth in and out of Canada. Is there any way to stay on SuperVisa longer than 2 years until she gets her immigration approved?

3. On SuperVisa, do parents get to stay in Canada for 2 years each visit, or 2 years first visit only, then 6 months each subsequent visit?

Thank you.
1. No - it's not taken into consideration.
2. You would need to apply to extend her stay while she is in Canada.
3. How long your mother is allowed into Canada is up to the CBSA officer. If she stays for 2 years, then ideally she should leave for a year before attempting another 2 year stay. But it's hard to give a definitive answer and really up to the CBSA officer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. No - it's not taken into consideration.
2. You would need to apply to extend her stay while she is in Canada.
3. How long your mother is allowed into Canada is up to the CBSA officer. If she stays for 2 years, then ideally she should leave for a year before attempting another 2 year stay. But it's hard to give a definitive answer and really up to the CBSA officer.
You said that you are the only on but Canada takes into account whether daughters (and other family members) live nearby and can care for their mother in humanitarian cases.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if you filed for bankruptcy or have a huge debt to CRA. If you can not afford to pay your taxes while having your mother in Canada you should perhaps reassess the affordability of sponsoring her.