+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa Rules

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
Hi Guys

Just wanted to get an idea of supervisa rules. My parents currently have supervisa but they are yet to travel.

So can they travel and stay for 2 years and then leave for a month, and then come back for another 2 years and keep repeating that pattern? I am not sure if that would set off red flags as they would be practically living here.

If not, what should be the elapsed time between each 2 year period?

Just trying to understand the rules here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys

Just wanted to get an idea of supervisa rules. My parents currently have supervisa but they are yet to travel.

So can they travel and stay for 2 years and then leave for a month, and then come back for another 2 years and keep repeating that pattern? I am not sure if that would set off red flags as they would be practically living here.

If not, what should be the elapsed time between each 2 year period?

Just trying to understand the rules here.
If they want to stay beyond the 2 years, it's generally recommended that they try to apply for an extension from within Canada. This might work once or twice.

If they leave Canada after staying for 2 straight years, they should really remain outside of Canada for a while (at least six months but preferably longer than that) before attempting to return for another two years. Turning around after a month and trying to come back is risky for the reason you've hit upon in your post.

The super visa allows them to visit for long periods of time but doesn't allow them to "move" here. So you want to avoid it looking that way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Supervisa insurance is also only emergency medical insurance. If they have a medical event once they are stable they will be expected to return home to receive treatment or if they stay in Canada they’ll need to pay for treatment out of pocket. Those with provincial coverage will always be prioritized. Any routine care Is not covered. Your parents will likely be required to repeat their medicals for any extensions. At any point if they don’t pass their medicals the supervisa can be cancelled. Although a supervisa allows parents to visit for long periods they are still expected to retain ties in their home country to return to for various reasons. It is very confusing to many people because many can’t understand how Canada would expect people to return home or maintain a home while coming to Canada for up to 2 years.