+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa Medical Insurance for parents

Cndnmpl

Oct 5, 2017
Hi Friends!

I am a PR and applying for my parent's Supervisa. The IRCC mentions this on their website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html):

have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:

• valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
  • at least $100,000 coverage
  • have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
I realize the medical insurance needs to be from a private company (unrelated to OHIP). I have few questions about this medical insurance:
1) Does the medical insurance have to be on my parent's names specifically and individually or can I buy an insurance under my name and add my parents as dependents on my plan?
2) What medical insurance companies are recommended (that covers pre-existing conditions)?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Friends!

I am a PR and applying for my parent's Supervisa. The IRCC mentions this on their website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html):

have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:

• valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
  • at least $100,000 coverage
  • have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
I realize the medical insurance needs to be from a private company (unrelated to OHIP). I have few questions about this medical insurance:
1) Does the medical insurance have to be on my parent's names specifically and individually or can I buy an insurance under my name and add my parents as dependents on my plan?
2) What medical insurance companies are recommended (that covers pre-existing conditions)?

Thank you!
The supervisa insurance needs to be in your parent's name and is only emergency coverage. Routine careand medication is out of pocket. You can bring 3 months of medication with you when you arrive in Canada. You will need to read the fine print of every policy to determine if the will have coverage if their emergency medical stay is related to a preexisting condition. There is specific supervisa insurance so I'm not sure why you think you'd be able to buy a policy and list them as your dependents (they won't qualify as your dependents). There are websites that list the various supervisa plans.

Cndnmpl

Oct 5, 2017
The supervisa insurance needs to be in your parent's name and is only emergency coverage. Routine careand medication is out of pocket. You can bring 3 months of medication with you when you arrive in Canada. You will need to read the fine print of every policy to determine if the will have coverage if their emergency medical stay is related to a preexisting condition. There is specific supervisa insurance so I'm not sure why you think you'd be able to buy a policy and list them as your dependents (they won't qualify as your dependents). There are websites that list the various supervisa plans.
Thank you for your response, Canuck78! I appreciate that you answered about the dependent aspect. I was under the same impression as you, but I thought I should still clarify further.

And in regards to my question for recommendation about the supervisa medical insurance policies, I have read them...
However, most of them mention that a pre-existing condition of congestive heart failure makes the applicant outright ineligible to apply, let alone being allocated a policy. One of my parents had a bypass surgery about 9 years ago but has been in stable condition since then.
Would that make the person ineligible? And if yes, how else to get a insurance policy if it ain't covered?

Thanks again!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response, Canuck78! I appreciate that you answered about the dependent aspect. I was under the same impression as you, but I thought I should still clarify further.

And in regards to my question for recommendation about the supervisa medical insurance policies, I have read them...
However, most of them mention that a pre-existing condition of congestive heart failure makes the applicant outright ineligible to apply, let alone being allocated a policy. One of my parents had a bypass surgery about 9 years ago but has been in stable condition since then.
Would that make the person ineligible? And if yes, how else to get a insurance policy if it ain't covered?

Thanks again!
Do they have congestive heart failure? Are they receiving treatment at the moment (medication)? Having bypass surgery in the past doesn't mean you currentlyvhave congestive heart failure.