+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa for widowed mother

Dec 2, 2021
Hi there,

My wife and I have been in Canada (Ontario) as PR since nearly 3 years now. Wife wants to invite her mother (my mother-in-law), who is a widow. Below is my mother-in-law's as well as our details:
Mother-in-law:
  • Employment: was a principal for a small kindergarten in India. Lost her job more than a year back due to Covid-19.
  • Assets: no property or any other assets on her name. Her salary was terribly low as well. Due to a complication, the house isn't on her (or anyone in the family) name, but she has to pay no rent though. She's also quite frugal, so her expenses are quite minimal, and we send her money when occasionally.
  • Family: Father-in-law passed away in 2017, a year before we got married and around 2 years before we left for Canada. So basically since 2017, every year has been quite a drastic change for her. My wife is her only child. The only other blood relative in the same city is her sister, who's married and living with her own family, which makes it quite hard for my mother-in-law to live with them long-term. She does have 2 sisters-in-law in the same city that she's quite close to and stays with them at times when she feels lonely, but again they have their own families as well.
  • Health: Other than minor blood-pressure issue, which is mostly age related I guess (she's over 60), she's good physically. But she has been in depression since covid though because of so much happening in the last 3-4 years, not seeing her daughter for nearly 2 years now, etc. She had covid earlier this year but recovered (and is fully vaxxed now)
  • Travel history: Not a lot, unfortunately. The only time she left India was to visit us in the Middle-East after we got married (and before we moved to Canada)
Us:
  • Both of us have been in Canada for nearly 3 years now on PR and will be applying for citizenship in a few months once we officially complete 3 years.
  • I am a student/full-time job (both remote, so easy to balance). Wife has a part-time job at a hospital close by.
  • Finances: no loans except OSAP loans (can be easily paid off if required). Our first year, I got my starting job (was low-paying) quite late in the year, so our combined income for that year was quite low. Combined annual income for the last 2 years is over the minimum requirement for super-visa.
  • Family: Just us 2 here. No dependants.

Ideally we would want to sponsor our MIL but considering it's not been 3 years of filing taxes yet, and also 1st year had low income, it will take a while to be eligible.
Wife hasn't seen her mother for 2 years now (got to visit India just once) mainly due to the whole covid situation and her work in a hospital.

We want our mother-in-law to join us for a longer time, considering she's pretty much alone back in India, and we know she will do well around us. But considering her situation, it's hard to prove her ties back to India.
What is the possibility to apply for a super-visa in her case? Or would it be better to get a regular visitor visa in her case? Alternatively, Is there any grounds for humanitarian & compassionate approach?

Would really appreciate any possible help in this, as we want her to at least visit us.