+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa for mom

hdcanada_10

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hello all,

I am preparing supervisa application for my mother. I have a few doubts about documents and process and I am hoping to get some answers here.

1. Ties to country - I am buying an apartment in her name (I will be co-applicant for loan purposes). We are also going to show CAD$ 13K in my account + CAD$ 10K in her account (both accounts are in India). I don't have much funds in Canada (~ CAD $5K). Is the apartment & money enough to show ties?

2. My mom is separated from my father (not divorced so no documentation showing they are separated). We are not including him to the application. Can we go ahead with just my mom's application without having to add his information?

3. I landed in 2022 with my wife and I started working in October. I earn more than $90K but my T4 shows my salary as $23K (Oct-Dec 2022). Same in the NOA I got in march 2023. I can show my paystubs (Oct to March), Bank statements, appointment letter that I earn more than what's in my T4. Do I meet the minimum necessary income criteria?

Is it advisable for me to apply for supervisa? Is there anything else I am missing which could create an issue with the application?

Thank you so very much for reading through this long post and provide your guidance. I really appreciate it! x

Forum elders @Naturgrl @canuck78 @scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I am preparing supervisa application for my mother. I have a few doubts about documents and process and I am hoping to get some answers here.

1. Ties to country - I am buying an apartment in her name (I will be co-applicant for loan purposes). We are also going to show CAD$ 13K in my account + CAD$ 10K in her account (both accounts are in India). I don't have much funds in Canada (~ CAD $5K). Is the apartment & money enough to show ties?

2. My mom is separated from my father (not divorced so no documentation showing they are separated). We are not including him to the application. Can we go ahead with just my mom's application without having to add his information?

3. I landed in 2022 with my wife and I started working in October. I earn more than $90K but my T4 shows my salary as $23K (Oct-Dec 2022). Same in the NOA I got in march 2023. I can show my paystubs (Oct to March), Bank statements, appointment letter that I earn more than what's in my T4. Do I meet the minimum necessary income criteria?

Is it advisable for me to apply for supervisa? Is there anything else I am missing which could create an issue with the application?

Thank you so very much for reading through this long post and provide your guidance. I really appreciate it! x

Applying for a supervisa is not based on salary it is based on money earned in Canada. NOA is the preferred proof. Most only qualify to apply for a supervisa after at least a year of living in Canada. Do you have 5k or 13k in savings especially liquid savings? 5k is not a lot. Once you pay for supervisa insurance you will have even less savings. If you lost your job or had any sort of family emergency you wouldn’t have the funds to provide for your own family (spouse and dependent children) which will be a concern Given that you moved to Canada around 6 month ago, you are a son so for cultural reasons tend to be required to care for your parents and your mother doesn’t seem to have strong ties to India there will be concerns that she is trying to move to Canada. Would suggest applying for a supervisa once you have an NOA that shows that you meet LICO and that you have more savings especially if you only have 5k in savings at the moment.

Reactions: hdcanada_10

hdcanada_10

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Thank you @canuck78 for taking the time!

Do you have 5k or 13k in savings especially liquid savings? 5k is not a lot. Once you pay for supervisa insurance you will have even less savings.
13K (my account in India), 10K (mom's account in India), 5K (my Canadian account) all in Fixed Deposits which can be taken out in 24 hour's time.
I thought having an apartment in her name would suffice the 'ties to country' bit :confused:
Yeah you are correct.. I should have more in saving. Is there like a golden number I should target? And do I need to show this 'golden number' in my Canadian account?

Can you please suggest or know about #2? I can't seem to find information about this scenario.

Thank you once again!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all,

1. Her buying an apartment and then applying right away for a TRV or supervisa is not a tie. It is more of a red flag to prove she has ties, and you can sell an apartment. The tie would be showing over the long term that is a rental property. She hasn’t even lived in the apartment and you bought it for her. IRCC will wonder where she got the money from. That is not a lot of funds for either of you after you purchase tickets and a year of health insurance.
2. She can apply without him.
3. You have just landed so applying for a supervisa so soon is suspect.IRCC will think she is trying to move to Canada. What are her ties (not including an apartment which is not a tie)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The fact that your NOA doesn’t meet NOA and you only started working in NOA may be the biggest problem. The spirit of a supervisa is not to allow parents to come visit for a long period of time soon after children move to Canada because that will be interpreted as parent moving to Canada with their child. As already pointed out buying an apartment right before applying for a supervisa looks like you are manufacturing ties. Why would they buy an apartment at this stage? Your savings will likely be fine for IRCC although realistically quite tight if having to support another person in Canada. The issue will likely be that savings are all in FD and not liquid and majority of savings are not in Canada in CAD. In the end it always comes down to IRCC. Does your mother have any other children? If so, where do they live? Are there any other reasons that require your mother to return to her home country.

hdcanada_10

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
1. Her buying an apartment and then applying right away for a TRV or supervisa is not a tie. It is more of a red flag to prove she has ties, and you can sell an apartment. The tie would be showing over the long term that is a rental property. She hasn’t even lived in the apartment and you bought it for her. IRCC will wonder where she got the money from. That is not a lot of funds for either of you after you purchase tickets and a year of health insurance.
2. She can apply without him.
3. You have just landed so applying for a supervisa so soon is suspect.IRCC will think she is trying to move to Canada. What are her ties (not including an apartment which is not a tie)?
Thanks @Naturgrl ! This helps me a lot.
So, now I am thinking to apply next year after I get a new T4 and NOA. I will have some more savings to show too by that time. Mom would've lived in new apartment for a few months so hopefully it will be okay with VO.

What else can I show as 'tie to country'? I looked around and got - property (we only have this new apartment), jewelry (we have some valuation more than $12K), pension (she had never worked), car (we sold ours). Please suggest what else can we show here?

The fact that your NOA doesn’t meet NOA and you only started working in NOA may be the biggest problem. The spirit of a supervisa is not to allow parents to come visit for a long period of time soon after children move to Canada because that will be interpreted as parent moving to Canada with their child. As already pointed out buying an apartment right before applying for a supervisa looks like you are manufacturing ties. Why would they buy an apartment at this stage? Your savings will likely be fine for IRCC although realistically quite tight. The issue will likely be that they are all in FD and not liquid. In the end it always comes down to IRCC. Does your mother have any other children? If so, where do they live? Are there any other reasons that require your mother to return to her home country.
This is what I am afraid of. I don't want to misrepresent. I would be okay if she goes back and visit us for a few months in summer.
I have an elder sibling (with spouse and a kid) in US. I don't think we have a strong reason for her to return, except for her medicines which she gets periodically from govt pharmacy.

Should I apply for a Visitor Visa first? What would be our chances of getting a VV?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You cannot make up ties to home country. You have ties or you don't. Ties are spouse and children under 22, a job with approved leave, property investments, pension that only can be collected in in home country, investments. Jewelry and car are not really ties as they can be sold. Jewelry can be brought with you.