+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa - sponsor should be me or my brother

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
I and my brother both are PR. We want to apply for our parents super-visa. Both of us are eligible to sponsor our parents for super-visa (we both earn well above LICO). We are confused about who should become the inviter.

My brother works in Apple as software engineer and earn much more than me. He was living in U.S. and recently moved to Canada. None of us have Canadian tax returns (showing enough income), but have letter from employer. I had very little income last year (and also haven't filed 2017 tax yet). My brother had high income, but he was living and filing taxes in U.S. However, I believe letter from current employer mentioning the salary should be enough.

Pros of My brother being inviter:
- High salary (over $100k)
- Apple brand name (not sure if that makes any difference)

Pros of me being inviter:
- Stronger reason for invitation (I am a single mother, taking care of my kid (who is also PR), I can state that I need help of my parents since my health is not very well and my kid also need emotional support of his grand-parents).

Who do you think would be better to have as a inviter for super-visa:
- Me
- My brother
- or both of us should write invitation letters inviting parents (in that case who should be the primary person inviting parents)

Pmalhi

Star Member
May 8, 2018
I recently applied for my mother under super visa.
I would wait till you have you NOA, immigration would need that.
Also in regards to inviting them to help you with kids would be considered making them work which is not what they are looking for when approving supervisa or trv application, i would recommend not mentioning that in the application.
in regards to applying togther more senior member would be able to help with that question.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would agree that you should wait until you have NOA. As previously mentioned your parents can not say that they will be a caretaker or that would be working. When you file your taxes you could sponsor them. If you make over the LICO you are likely going to have to pay penalties so you need to file asap. You can't apply together.

Reactions: Bryanna

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks @Pmalhi and @canuck78 for your valuable suggestions.

While filing super-visa online application, the question for the income is (https://goo.gl/hseomr):

Which document(s) are you using to prove that your child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut Off minimum?
- Most recent copy of Notice of Assessment
- Most recent copy of T4 or T1
- Letter from employer stating title, job, description and salary
- Employment insurance benefit stub
- If self employed, letter from accountant confirming annual income
- Proof of other source of income

Wouldn't letter from employer be enough? especially when the application explicitly ask for which document I am providing for proof of income.

This post from @scylla seems to indicate that letter from employer should be fine: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/super-visa-for-parent.517061/#post-6348682

Has there been any case of super-visa getting denied because of using "letter from employer" instead of NOA?

Pmalhi

Star Member
May 8, 2018
you could apply with just your employment letter but it doesnt make your application strong enough. You want to attach as many supporting documents before.
We’ve applied for our mother before with just minimum required papers and it resulted in 3 refusals, eventhough we were meeting the LICO and all other requirements.
And your application gets complicated once you have that refusal. I would highly recommend to apply with as many supporting documents you can.
If you can.. file your taxes, your NOA will come in about 3 weeks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks @Pmalhi and @canuck78 for your valuable suggestions.

While filing super-visa online application, the question for the income is (https://goo.gl/hseomr):

Which document(s) are you using to prove that your child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut Off minimum?
- Most recent copy of Notice of Assessment
- Most recent copy of T4 or T1
- Letter from employer stating title, job, description and salary
- Employment insurance benefit stub
- If self employed, letter from accountant confirming annual income
- Proof of other source of income

Wouldn't letter from employer be enough? especially when the application explicitly ask for which document I am providing for proof of income.

This post from @scylla seems to indicate that letter from employer should be fine: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/super-visa-for-parent.517061/#post-6348682

Has there been any case of super-visa getting denied because of using "letter from employer" instead of NOA?
I would recommend your brother applies for your parents' super visas when he can prove he meets LICO. His US income will not be considered for the super visa. You may not be able to sponsor your parents for financial reasons.

Your brother must submit as many varied proofs as possible. I would recommend including the NOA (ideally NOAs for the last three years.... if that's not possible then the most recent NOA) + employment letter + bank statement + financial investments + others (rental income, pension funds, for example)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks
Yes, a number of refusals for this reason even though technically the hosts were earning way above the LICO threshold but don't have NOAs to prove it and/or they were recent immigrants.

The refusal reason in this case is 'Your host has not submitted documents to prove his financial ability' (I haven't quoted the exact words)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think in general you have to come to terms with the fact that your parents will not be able to join you for a while.

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
Yes, a number of refusals for this reason even though technically the hosts were earning way above the LICO threshold but don't have NOAs to prove it and/or they were recent immigrants.
Thanks @Bryanna, that's very useful to know.

In the reverse, do you happen to know of any case of super-visa approval without NOA (with 'letter from employer')?

Do you think there are chances of approval if my brother apply (without NOA)?
He moved to Canada in May 2018 from U.S (although he got Canadian PR in 2016). He had been living and filing taxes in U.S. for multiple years (earning decent salary both in U.S. and now in Canada). He has letter from employer and recent Canadian paystubs, and ~$20k in Canadian bank account.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
In the reverse, do you happen to know of any case of super-visa approval without NOA (with 'letter from employer')?
No.

And, again, not for new immigrants.

Do you think there are chances of approval if my brother apply (without NOA)?
He moved to Canada in May 2018 from U.S (although he got Canadian PR in 2016). He had been living and filing taxes in U.S. for multiple years (earning decent salary both in U.S. and now in Canada). He has letter from employer and recent Canadian paystubs, and ~$20k in Canadian bank account (if it helps he can increase the balance by transferring from his US bank account to Canadian account).
The previous posts had clearly answered these questions

Short answer again: No