+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Question

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019
Hi Good People. I am thinking of applying for either a Visitor Visa or a Super Visa for my mother, and I need your help, tips, advice and guidance.

Brief Background: I am a Canada PR. My T4 for 2018 had $55K and I have funds in my chequing account of $30K. My mother is back home and unemployed and does not have property back home and has about $5,000 in her bank. She is married and has children back home. I would like her to visit me here. I am single.

I request your advise on the following:

1. Is it easier or advisable to apply and get approval for a visitor visa or super visa?

2. Is it better to apply online or paper application back home? If I choose online, can I apply for my mother from my computer here or the online application has to be done from back home? Is there a way they can tell the difference and does it matter?

3. If we go for paper application, I have seen that she can have biometrics taken at the visa application centre (VAC) upfront but am not clear about medicals and police clearance certificate? Are these required and can they be done upfront to avoid delays with the application processing?

Thank you very much.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Good People. I am thinking of applying for either a Visitor Visa or a Super Visa for my mother, and I need your help, tips, advice and guidance.

Brief Background: I am a Canada PR. My T4 for 2018 had $55K and I have funds in my chequing account of $30K. My mother is back home and unemployed and does not have property back home and has about $5,000 in her bank. She is married and has children back home. I would like her to visit me here. I am single.

I request your advise on the following:

1. Is it easier or advisable to apply and get approval for a visitor visa or super visa?
It would depend on how long she intends to stay + the purpose of her visit.

For a TRV, her finances are low.... but she has strong family ties to return home to. Would be able to advise if we have more information.

2. Is it better to apply online or paper application back home? If I choose online, can I apply for my mother from my computer here or the online application has to be done from back home? Is there a way they can tell the difference and does it matter?
Paper or online submission is a matter of personal preference.

If she applies online, you can manage her application on your own from your computer.

3. If we go for paper application, I have seen that she can have biometrics taken at the visa application centre (VAC) upfront but am not clear about medicals and police clearance certificate? Are these required and can they be done upfront to avoid delays with the application processing?
For a super visa, she can do upfront medicals + include it in her application.

PCCs are not required unless requested by the visa office

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019
Thanks so much for your quick and insightful responses. Below are my additional info:

It would depend on how long she intends to stay + the purpose of her visit.

For a TRV, her finances are low.... but she has strong family ties to return home to. Would be able to advise if we have more information.

Paper or online submission is a matter of personal preference.

If she applies online, you can manage her application on your own from your computer.

For a super visa, she can do upfront medicals + include it in her application.

PCCs are not required unless requested by the visa office

My mother has about $5,000 in her checking account. She is 62 years old and I would like her to visit and stay with me for as long as she wishes - but I don't anticipate a stay longer than one year. In any case, if she is approved, we shall abide by the conditions of her visa regarding the length of stay.

The advice on which one is easier to be approved for (TRV or super visa) will affect which one we will apply for. The duration of her stay here will also be determined by the type of visa that she will get.

For online application, can I apply for her from within Canada? This is not clear for me - appreciate if you can clarify.

And if we go the super visa option, can she visit any of the approved medical centres for her medicals ahead of submitting the application? And how can we link these medical reports to the online application?

Thanks again

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019
@Bryanna One more thing - I have landed as a PR in Canada six years ago and have not travelled anywhere in the last two years, so my PC card is expired. Will this have any impact on her super visa application? Will my super visa application for my mother lead to any residence obligation inquiry on my part and likely to delay the process? I was planning to apply for citizenship later in the year. Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mother has about $5,000 in her checking account. She is 62 years old and I would like her to visit and stay with me for as long as she wishes - but I don't anticipate a stay longer than one year. In any case, if she is approved, we shall abide by the conditions of her visa regarding the length of stay.
For a stay of one year + considering her financial situation, maybe a super visa would be a good idea.

The advice on which one is easier to be approved for (TRV or super visa) will affect which one we will apply for. The duration of her stay here will also be determined by the type of visa that she will get.
There's no easy/difficult visa. It depends on how well you prepare her application for either type of visa category.

For online application, can I apply for her from within Canada? This is not clear for me - appreciate if you can clarify.
Yes, you can. You must create a new GCKey account for her.

And if we go the super visa option, can she visit any of the approved medical centres for her medicals ahead of submitting the application?
She can take her medicals only at a IRCC panel physician/clinic. She can take these medicals upfront or else she can wait for a medical request after submitting her application.

And how can we link these medical reports to the online application?
This will help:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents.html

@Bryanna One more thing - I have landed as a PR in Canada six years ago and have not travelled anywhere in the last two years, so my PC card is expired. Will this have any impact on her super visa application? Will my super visa application for my mother lead to any residence obligation inquiry on my part and likely to delay the process? I was planning to apply for citizenship later in the year. Thanks
Not an issue. You have PR status.... and that's important.

As you landed six years ago, you meet residence obligations to apply for citizenship

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019
@Bryanna Thank you so much for the detailed response, and my apologies for the delay in writing back! I was unwell.

If I submit an expired PR card with a super visa application, will this lead to a delay in processing and/or a residency assessment/inquiry on my part. Even though I meet the residency obligation, I had not renewed my PR card since I was not planning to travel. Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna Thank you so much for the detailed response, and my apologies for the delay in writing back! I was unwell.

If I submit an expired PR card with a super visa application, will this lead to a delay in processing and/or a residency assessment/inquiry on my part. Even though I meet the residency obligation, I had not renewed my PR card since I was not planning to travel. Thanks
Hope you're better now.

No issues in applying with the expired PR card + other supporting evidence as the super visa host

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019
Hope you're better now.

No issues in applying with the expired PR card + other supporting evidence as the super visa host
Thanks Bryanna. I'm feeling much better now.

Does the invitation letter from the host need to be notarized? From the host, is it sufficient to include the letter of invite with PR copy or landing/PR confirmation, T4, letter from employer or contract copy, notice of assessment for 2018, bank statements (say 6 months)? Do I need additional documentation?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Does the invitation letter from the host need to be notarized?
Yes, if she is applying for a super visa.

From the host, is it sufficient to include the letter of invite with PR copy or landing/PR confirmation, T4, letter from employer or contract copy, notice of assessment for 2018, bank statements (say 6 months)? Do I need additional documentation?
If she's applying for a super visa then you can also include your financial investments, pension plans, any income earned from rent, etc + copy of your passport + proof of relationship to your mom (birth certificate)

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019

If she's applying for a super visa then you can also include your financial investments, pension plans, any income earned from rent, etc + copy of your passport + proof of relationship to your mom (birth certificate)
Thanks. Copies or originals for the birth certificate and passport?

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019
@Bryanna Can I scan and email to my mother a notarized invitation letter to include in her application? Can I also email for her to print out my notice of assessment, employment letter and bank statements? Or must all these documents be notarized and sent by courier to her?

On the CIC website, it does not say that the invitation letter needs to be notarized. Could you kindly double-check and confirm this?

Again, many thanks for all your help

NomadCA

Apr 19, 2019

@Bryanna Can I scan and email to my mother a notarized invitation letter to include in her application? Can I also email for her to print out my notice of assessment, employment letter and bank statements? Or must all these documents be notarized and sent by courier to her?

On the CIC website, it does not say that the invitation letter needs to be notarized. Could you kindly double-check and confirm this?

Again, many thanks for all your help