+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - one-way ticket issues

mamapapaSL

Jan 11, 2011
Hi all,
I know that there are posts regarding this issue where the answer is it's fine to fly on a one-way ticket with a super visa, but I'll share our story, and ask for some advice/guidance/proof.

My wife and I had a daughter, and we sponsored my mother-in-law in Sierra Leone to come to Canada on the Super Visa program. Application process went surprisingly well (though cost is another issue!), and was approved. We all went for a family visit to Sierra Leone, including our daughter, and the plan was to return to Canada with my mother-in-law on the same flight back to Toronto. All things according to plan so far.

Morning of our flight from Freetown to Toronto (transit Heathrow), we arrive at the aiport and there is a preliminary passport checker before the check-in booth (seems to be run by a 3rd party company in service of all international airlines). This agent checks our documents and tells us that my mother-in-law cannot fly because she doesn't have a return ticket. I point out that it's a new visa called the Super Visa and it's valid for visits of up to 2 years at a time. He tells me that his company can be fined by the Canadian Government and shows me a Canada Immigration booklet that he must use a reference document which seems to support his stance. After much back and forth (he was a nice guy, trying to find solutions for us, in spite of the misinformation), we come to a compromise that I can buy a return leg, and she will be able to fly.

We arrive in Toronto, and no problems getting through. Granted a 2 year stay (though I can barely make out the dates written by CBSA).

Now, my mother-in-law has to leave within 2 years, though we will have her come back to Canada shorthly thereafter. I want to avoid a similar issue, as my mother-in-law will not be able to advocate for herself all that well, nor whip out a credit card if needed. So, what proof can we provide these agents/airline/3rd party companies that a return ticket is not needed? Please advise.

mamapapaSL

Jan 11, 2011
I fought the return charges (and probably more-so due to some other customer service issues) and was given a refund of the return leg charge. However when I asked British Airways how I can avoid a similar issue, they said it's up to Canadian Immigration. So it's all about passing the buck it seems. Beyond that, the 3rd party passport verifying company at the Freetown airport seems to contracted by the international airlines.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mamapapaSL said:
I fought the return charges (and probably more-so due to some other customer service issues) and was given a refund of the return leg charge. However when I asked British Airways how I can avoid a similar issue, they said it's up to Canadian Immigration. So it's all about passing the buck it seems. Beyond that, the 3rd party passport verifying company at the Freetown airport seems to contracted by the international airlines.
Contact the office in Accra, use the case specific email: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/accra.asp Explain what happened and politely tell them that they should update their instructions to the screening company in Sierra Leone about Supervisas

mamapapaSL

Jan 11, 2011
I tried that as well a few weeks after we landed in Toronto (email sent late December), and no response from Accra.

mamapapaSL

Jan 11, 2011
PMM, I did just send one to Accra's General Enquiries box as well...Here's hoping for some kind of reply. Thanks.

Also, I did see this on another message board...not sure an agent at the aiport would accept a cut/paste blurb like that:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

While airlines are able to issue one-way tickets to long term temporary residents, such as Super Visa holders, students or workers and their dependants holding the appropriate visas, and there is no regulation preventing admission to Canada of a visa holder travelling on a one way ticket to Canada, it is the decision of the airline whether to allow a passenger to travel to a particular destination on a one-way ticket or to require that the passenger obtain a return ticket.

The High Commission of Canada does not have the authority to direct airlines to issue particular types of tickets in particular circumstances.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.
Immigration Section / Section de l’immigration 6
Canadian High Commission / Haut-Commissariat du Canada
7/8 Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi
India / Inde
[/i][/i]

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since when AIRLINES have been concerned with one way or return tickets taking CIC responsibilities on themselves?

Airlines do not sell you return tickets with a return date 2 years from now.... :eek:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Regina said:
Since when AIRLINES have been concerned with one way or return tickets taking CIC responsibilities on themselves?
They have been concerned since forever. It has nothing to do with CIC's responsibilities and everything to do with their bottom line. If someone comes on a one way ticket to Canada and is then refused entry and sent back home on the first flight - guess who eats the cost of that flight if they don't have a return ticket? The airline.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Regina said:

Airlines do not sell you return tickets with a return date 2 years from now.... :eek:
if someone is coming over on an extended visa, it's best to buy a refundable ticket so they can get into the country they are visiting. not having a return ticket is a top reason for entry refusal.