+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - Maximum Stay for each Visit

Debby Choi

Oct 21, 2020
Hi, I read many useful information here regarding Super Visa. My daughter in Canada (she is a PR) wants me to live with her longer, with the less luck of lottery for Parents Sponsorship Program, I checked from IRCC website that Super Visa is an alternative, it's a 10 years multiple visa with a maximum stay of 2 years. Therefore, we plan to apply for this so that I can stay 2 years every visit, go back Hong Kong (my home country) for 1 or 2 months, then enter Canada again for another two years, just want to stay with each other as much time as possible.

But just read some threads from this forum that the maximum 2 years stay is only for the first entry, and subsequent stays will only be 6 months the maximum. I would like to clarify if the 2 years stay is granted for first entry ONLY? As for the subsequent entries, is it a "policy" that only a max. of 6 months will be granted, or all depends on the border officer with a chance to have longer than 6 months or even another 2 years? I can't checked such detailed information on IRCC website.

If the second entry onwards of Super Visa can only be 6 months, then i rather not to apply, because I am from a visa-exempted country (Hong Kong), that my stay basically is 6 months every visit (unless has a specific date chopped by the officer upon entry), is it feasible for me to visit daughter for 5 months, return to HK for 2 months, then visit daughter again for 5 months....? Will the border officer consider me not a genuine visitor?

Hope my concerns and questions are cleared, and look forward to receive clarification on this issue.

Thank you in advance!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I read many useful information here regarding Super Visa. My daughter in Canada (she is a PR) wants me to live with her longer, with the less luck of lottery for Parents Sponsorship Program, I checked from IRCC website that Super Visa is an alternative, it's a 10 years multiple visa with a maximum stay of 2 years. Therefore, we plan to apply for this so that I can stay 2 years every visit, go back Hong Kong (my home country) for 1 or 2 months, then enter Canada again for another two years, just want to stay with each other as much time as possible.

But just read some threads from this forum that the maximum 2 years stay is only for the first entry, and subsequent stays will only be 6 months the maximum. I would like to clarify if the 2 years stay is granted for first entry ONLY? As for the subsequent entries, is it a "policy" that only a max. of 6 months will be granted, or all depends on the border officer with a chance to have longer than 6 months or even another 2 years? I can't checked such detailed information on IRCC website.

If the second entry onwards of Super Visa can only be 6 months, then i rather not to apply, because I am from a visa-exempted country (Hong Kong), that my stay basically is 6 months every visit (unless has a specific date chopped by the officer upon entry), is it feasible for me to visit daughter for 5 months, return to HK for 2 months, then visit daughter again for 5 months....? Will the border officer consider me not a genuine visitor?

Hope my concerns and questions are cleared, and look forward to receive clarification on this issue.

Thank you in advance!!
The 6 months are old rules. You can stay 2 years and then attempt to extend you status. It's impossible to say if you'll get an extension and for how long. A supervisa allows you yo visit for longer periods of time but not move to Canada. If you stay for 2 years and then return to HK for 1-2 months and repeat this you are essentially living in Canada and visiting HK. At a certain point you could be told that you should be remaining in HK for longer periods of time.

Debby Choi

Oct 21, 2020
The 6 months are old rules. You can stay 2 years and then attempt to extend you status. It's impossible to say if you'll get an extension and for how long. A supervisa allows you yo visit for longer periods of time but not move to Canada. If you stay for 2 years and then return to HK for 1-2 months and repeat this you are essentially living in Canada and visiting HK. At a certain point you could be told that you should be remaining in HK for longer periods of time.
Thank you for your advice.