+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Holder and Taxes

mashakwan

Dec 27, 2011
Hello, for a super visa holder,

1. Do they have to file tax for foreign income?
2. Instead of applying for SIN, do they apply for ITN (Individual Tax Number) for filing taxes if they have Canadian Income?

Much Appreciated.

kadir.ayubi

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014
As far as I know, I don't think someone who is on a Super Visa is authorized to work in Canada. To work in Canada one will need a Work Permit.

One can apply for a work permit from within Canada.

I will let the experts in the forum comment and advise too.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

2. Instead of applying for SIN, do they apply for ITN (Individual Tax Number) for filing taxes if they have Canadian Income?

Much Appreciated.
Are you talking about your parents applying for SIN and filing taxes? Or is this about you as PR/Citizen?

1. They are visitors so applying taxes where they live.
2. How can they have Canadian income as visitors?

mashakwan

Dec 27, 2011
As far as I know, I don't think someone who is on a Super Visa is authorized to work in Canada. To work in Canada one will need a Work Permit.

One can apply for a work permit from within Canada.

I will let the experts in the forum comment and advise too.
Yes super visa holder is not allowed to work in Canada. However, they may open a Canadian bank account and earn interest, of which might have to report taxes.

As a super visitor holder, does it mean their foreign income won't trigger any Canadian taxes as they are visitor (Even they they stay longer than 183 days, and might be considered a resident for tax purposes)?

mashakwan

Dec 27, 2011
Are you talking about your parents applying for SIN and filing taxes? Or is this about you as PR/Citizen?

1. They are visitors so applying taxes where they live.
2. How can they have Canadian income as visitors?
I'm asking of behalf a super vis holder, not about myself.

1. For super visa holder, they may stay longer than 183 days (and might considered a resident for tax purposes), does it mean their foreign income trigger any Canadian taxes?
2. As super visa holder, even they are not allowed to work, they may open a Canadian bank account and earn interest, of which might have to report taxes.

mashakwan

Dec 27, 2011

Much Appreciated.
Appreciate any existing super visa holders can reply these two questions.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

1. For super visa holder, they may stay longer than 183 days (and might considered a resident for tax purposes), does it mean their foreign income trigger any Canadian taxes?
2. As super visa holder, even they are not allowed to work, they may open a Canadian bank account and earn interest, of which might have to report taxes.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html#

This may help

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

“As super visa holder, even they are not allowed to work, they may open a Canadian bank account and earn interest, of which might have to report taxes.”

That’s a mute point . If it’s an interest bearing account. The bank won’t even open up interest bearing accounts without a SIN.
It’s not the bank policy , it’s the Government’s policy.