+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa for a stay of less than 6 months

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
Hi Seniors,

Apologies for the repeated question. I did come across similar questions but read multiple contradicting answers/solutions. So I'm trying my luck again.

I am planning to invite my father to Canada to spend time with me and my family for a month or two (max). However, I don't want to apply for a normal visit visa due to the following reason:
My father is retired and has zero savings (yes, its quite strange but given his personality, it is what it is :rolleyes:). He does own a property worth 250,000 CAD though. It is challenging to show strong ties to his home country. Hence, the reluctance to apply for a normal visit visa (TRV).

As such, I am planning to apply for a Super Visa. I have adequate savings and a stable income more than sufficient to support him during his visit. My questions are:

1. What are the implications if I state that he will visit us for more than 6 months in my Super Visa application and actually leave the country in 2 months?
2. What are the implications if I state that he's visiting for only 2 months in my Super Visa application - will they automatically just give him a TRV or will they reject his whole application and ask to apply for a TRV?

I would be very much obliged if someone can advice on how best I can approach this situation.

Some background info (not sure if it helps or makes any difference)
  • I am a Canadian Citizen and my father's main purpose of visit is to spend time with my new born son
  • My parents are separated and my mother already has a TRV approved which I applied in January

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Seniors,

Apologies for the repeated question. I did come across similar questions but read multiple contradicting answers/solutions. So I'm trying my luck again.

I am planning to invite my father to Canada to spend time with me and my family for a month or two (max). However, I don't want to apply for a normal visit visa due to the following reason:
My father is retired and has zero savings (yes, its quite strange but given his personality, it is what it is :rolleyes:). He does own a property worth 250,000 CAD though. It is challenging to show strong ties to his home country. Hence, the reluctance to apply for a normal visit visa (TRV).

As such, I am planning to apply for a Super Visa. I have adequate savings and a stable income more than sufficient to support him during his visit. My questions are:

1. What are the implications if I state that he will visit us for more than 6 months in my Super Visa application and actually leave the country in 2 months?
2. What are the implications if I state that he's visiting for only 2 months in my Super Visa application - will they automatically just give him a TRV or will they reject his whole application and ask to apply for a TRV?

I would be very much obliged if someone can advice on how best I can approach this situation.

Some background info (not sure if it helps or makes any difference)
  • I am a Canadian Citizen and my father's main purpose of visit is to spend time with my new born son
  • My parents are separated and my mother already has a TRV approved which I applied in January
1. No issue.
2. Impossible to know if IRCC will decide that TRV is better suited to the application or continue with the supervisa application. You can ask for a 6 month stay and remain for 2 month. You can also specify in a note attached to his application that you want it processed as a supervisa because of his lack of funds.

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
1. No issue.
2. Impossible to know if IRCC will decide that TRV is better suited to the application or continue with the supervisa application. You can ask for a 6 month stay and remain for 2 month. You can also specify in a note attached to his application that you want it processed as a supervisa because of his lack of funds.
thanks a lot for your response. Seems like, based on the above, Option 1 is the less-complicated option. Thanks again :)