+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Extension

sophia44

Aug 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My dad has a Super Visa which expires on April 2016.
Can I apply for a new 5 years Super Visa for him now? (passport expiration date is 5 years).
He is in Canada right now.
If I need to re-apply for another Super Visa, does he need to redo the Medical Examination?
How is the chance of getting it again? is it easier as it's his second super visa?
How long does it take?
seniors please help.
Thanks for responses :)

prashr

Mar 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Sophia,

I had applied for my mother-in-law's Super Visa renewal last year and I'll try to answer your questions as much as possible. I'm sure others will chime in as well -

Can I apply for a new 5 years Super Visa for him now? (passport expiration date is 5 years).
I would suggest you apply 30-45 days before his current visa is due to expire. I had applied for another 2 years for my mother-in-law, but the renewal was only for 1 year. Her visa was due to expire in January 2015, I applied in October 2014 and she was granted an extension from October 2014 to October 2015. So in fact, I lost 2 months because I applied early. :)

If I need to re-apply for another Super Visa, does he need to redo the Medical Examination?
No he does not need to redo the Medical Examination. However - you *should* get his Visitor's Insurance renewed for the length of time that he has been granted extension.

How is the chance of getting it again? is it easier as it's his second super visa?
It shouldn't be too difficult. I just had to fill in the application forms and all the required documents. After that it was just a matter of checking the status of the application online and then receiving the Visa Renewal in the mail.

How long does it take?
If I remember correctly - it took approx. 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

nanaykopo

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi prashr how about my situation..
my mom's supervisa will expire next year sept. 2016.. (she got a 4yr supervisa 2012-2016)
she entered canada again last year July 2014, and needs to exit again on July 2016..
since her visa will expire in September next year...
is it possible to apply for an extension before she leaves and exit canada.. even it will be her 2 yr stay next year(july2016)...

i hope im not too confusing.. i just really want to renew her supervisa while she's here so i dont have to do a new application again... my worry is just i know she must leave after 2 yrs. but because theres only like 2months left on her visa she wont be able to renew/extend it.

thank you....

prashr said:
Hi Sophia,

I had applied for my mother-in-law's Super Visa renewal last year and I'll try to answer your questions as much as possible. I'm sure others will chime in as well -

I would suggest you apply 30-45 days before his current visa is due to expire. I had applied for another 2 years for my mother-in-law, but the renewal was only for 1 year. Her visa was due to expire in January 2015, I applied in October 2014 and she was granted an extension from October 2014 to October 2015. So in fact, I lost 2 months because I applied early. :)

No he does not need to redo the Medical Examination. However - you *should* get his Visitor's Insurance renewed for the length of time that he has been granted extension.

It shouldn't be too difficult. I just had to fill in the application forms and all the required documents. After that it was just a matter of checking the status of the application online and then receiving the Visa Renewal in the mail.

How long does it take?
If I remember correctly - it took approx. 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

prashr

Mar 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nanaykopo said:
my mom's supervisa will expire next year sept. 2016.. (she got a 4yr supervisa 2012-2016)
she entered canada again last year July 2014, and needs to exit again on July 2016..
is it possible to apply for an extension before she leaves and exit canada.. even it will be her 2 yr stay next year(july2016)...

i hope im not too confusing.. i just really want to renew her supervisa while she's here so i dont have to do a new application again... my worry is just i know she must leave after 2 yrs. but because theres only like 2months left on her visa she wont be able to renew/extend it.

thank you....
Hi nanaykopo,

When is your mom's passport expiring? I'm guessing it would be sometime in 2016 since the supervisa is expiring in September, 2016. You could try to apply for an extension but if her passport is expiring soon, then CIC could very well ask you to get it renewed first - which you could do from within Canada, and then apply for an extension.

If the validity of your Mom's passport is for a year or greater from July 2016, you could go ahead, apply for an extension and hope for the best :) But since the supervisa is expiring as well, I think you would need to re-apply for the supervisa. Again - all this is conjecture and the best option would be to call CIC and get an answer from them.

nanaykopo

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
we will renew her passport this year before we apply for an extension...

thanks for your reply...

AUTO102

May 19, 2015
sophia44 said:
Hi,
My dad has a Super Visa which expires on April 2016.
He is in Canada right now.
How long does it take?
seniors please help.
Thanks for responses :)
Two things; (1) You can not apply for a new Super Visa from within Canada. You must apply from your Country of Origin or wherever your parents live. (2) You can apply for extension by submitting application online and can get up to 1 year extension, but if your parents leave Canada to travel to any other country (USA is exception); they MUST apply for new Supervisa.

You don't need medical examination for extension but you must keep traveler's insurance for the time frame they are in Canada.

The other rule is that the parents can stay in Canada for up to 2 years. I am not sure if you need to flag border (enter US by road and come back to Canada) if you apply for extension.. someone else might answer that part.

I hope this helps.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My understanding is you cannot apply for a new super visa within Canada, however you can extend an existing super visa. The visa is valid up to the passport expiry date or whatever the is approved on the initial application. The maximum is always the passport expiry date. I assume the new application would have to be submitted from country of origin. I would definitely contact CIC to see if there is an exemption for people to renew their super visa within Canada prior to the expiry of their existing super visa..

sophia44

Aug 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for all information. I have tried to contact CIC but no success. I want to make sure that my dad is eligible to apply for a new supervisa in his new 5 years valid passport (while his previous supervisa has one year validity).
Some information are not provided in CIC website and no one can surely say that this is correct or wrong :(
I will keep try to contact them and meanwhile any comment or recommendation is welcome :)
-Sophia

ainpfamily

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi, i am also in the same boat with my parents as their super visa will expire soon (because of validity of passport).

I am interested in knowing if we can do flag polling by the end of their stay so as not to apply for extension.

I have the same understanding that you can only apply extension inland and visa will have to be applied from outside. In this case, if they go out of Canada after visa expiry (even during extension time), they will have to apply for visa again to come back.

calgary_eagle

Feb 18, 2015
Hey Nanaykopo I saw a post by you few years ago and you were in my same situation. There was no exit stamp on parents supervisa when entering Canada. What happened in your case? my parents have 5 years supervisa starting last month and they didn't get stamp on passport for exit date. Is it automatically 6 months? or 2 years as the website suggests.

nanaykopo

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophia44 said:
Thanks for all information. I have tried to contact CIC but no success. I want to make sure that my dad is eligible to apply for a new supervisa in his new 5 years valid passport (while his previous supervisa has one year validity).
Some information are not provided in CIC website and no one can surely say that this is correct or wrong :(
I will keep try to contact them and meanwhile any comment or recommendation is welcome :)
-Sophia
Hi sophia!! could you keep us posted pls.
id like to know if your dad got another 5yrs with his new passport and if he applied within canada..
Thanks

saqi4you

Star Member
Mar 27, 2012
ainpfamily said:
hi, i am also in the same boat with my parents as their super visa will expire soon (because of validity of passport).

I am interested in knowing if we can do flag polling by the end of their stay so as not to apply for extension.

I have the same understanding that you can only apply extension inland and visa will have to be applied from outside. In this case, if they go out of Canada after visa expiry (even during extension time), they will have to apply for visa again to come back.
Hi i am also in the same like your parent ! did you apply for visa or extension ?

jpdx

Jul 22, 2012
Looks like the easiest way is to renew the passport first, then apply for super visa extension while inside Canada.

shifat

Oct 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
OPNP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 18, 2013
Doc's Request.
Nothing yet
Nomination.....
PNP June 12, 2013
AOR Received.
Sep 13, 2013
IELTS Request
Already got 7
File Transfer...
In process since Dec 23, 2013
Med's Request
Sep 18, 2013
Med's Done....
Sep 25, 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Since Sep 03, 2010
Hello All,

I need some advise from you as my issue is related to my mum's supervisa.
She got supervisa on June 2015 till March 2018 as her passport expires on March 2018. She got in Canada on June 2015 and got 2 years stamp. She moved out of Canada to origin country for 3 weeks and when she entered back, she only got stamp upto Mrach 2018 as her passport is expiring.

I am going to renew her passport soon. What I am looking to know as if there is any way, I can request for extension to stay in Canada or renewal of supervisa with her new passport while she stays in Canada? Please advise me. My mum is getting old and she does not have anyone back home except me. Please please kindly advise.

nanaykopo said:

thank you....