+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Extension Help

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether it is appropriate forum to post related to Super Visa related question, if it's not please kindly let me know so that I can move this thread to other forum.

I have a general question for Super Visa extension.
My mom is staying in Canada with Super Visa which was initially granted for two years, and it comes to the time to renew (expires Jan 3, 2019).

I asked the immigration officer about the extension that got an answer that it is exactly same as applying for extending visitor visa. As I've done this through immigration consultant for initial application, I'm out of clue on where to start. Can anybody shed a light on this where I can find relevant page that I can start preparing the docs?

Also, can anyone provide me a sample cover letter for the Super Visa extension?

Lastly, my mom is currently undergoing PR application through PGP this year, and we are at a stage where IME passed. Will this affect to the application? Is it good idea to mention it for the Super Visa application as well?

Thanks for your help in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If the supervisa is expired you can't extend and have to apply for a new one. If you are only at the end of the 2 year period but have a 10 year supervisa yes you can try and extend.

mzm26

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Hi,
So last year my mom was in similar situation you mentioned in your post. unfortunately you cannot apply for supervise within Canada. the person has to leave Canada and apply from outside. But you can apply for a visitor visa extension which is normally for one year. I applied for my mom twice and got extended both times for one year each. the first time she has to go through medical exam, second time they never asked for medical since it was done year before. forward me your email address and I can send you the sample cover letter that I used for my moms visa extension.

I am not sure about mentioning PR application in process in your invitation letter. may be someone with more experience can guide you on that.

Reactions: NancyGamilla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
So last year my mom was in similar situation you mentioned in your post. unfortunately you cannot apply for supervise within Canada. the person has to leave Canada and apply from outside. But you can apply for a visitor visa extension which is normally for one year. I applied for my mom twice and got extended both times for one year each. the first time she has to go through medical exam, second time they never asked for medical since it was done year before. forward me your email address and I can send you the sample cover letter that I used for my moms visa extension.

I am not sure about mentioning PR application in process in your invitation letter. may be someone with more experience can guide you on that.
You can't apply for an extension without an initial visa.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether it is appropriate forum to post related to Super Visa related question, if it's not please kindly let me know so that I can move this thread to other forum.

My mom is staying in Canada with Super Visa which was initially granted for two years, and it comes to the time to renew (expires Jan 3, 2019).

I asked the immigration officer about the extension that got an answer that it is exactly same as applying for extending visitor visa. As I've done this through immigration consultant for initial application, I'm out of clue on where to start. Can anybody shed a light on this where I can find relevant page that I can start preparing the docs?

Lastly, my mom is currently undergoing PR application through PGP this year, and we are at a stage where IME passed. Will this affect to the application? Is it good idea to mention it for the Super Visa application as well?

As mentioned you can only apply for extension of stay if your mom super visa is Valid. Your post is not clear that on Jan 03, 2019 her visa is expiring or her period of 2 years continuous stay is ending up? Check the validity of visa on passport.
to apply online extension below is the link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

for second part of your question your application will auto link via her passport number. Even the bio metrics will auto transfer try login through online account. Normally they issue same UCI # which auto inherited from Super Visa.

Good Luck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Clarify. Are you wanting to apply for your mother to stay in Canada longer or is she needing to leave Canada and you want her to be able to return?

If it is the former, she needs to apply to extend her visitor status. This has nothing to do with a visa. A person can be in Canada legally with an expired visa.

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Clarify. Are you wanting to apply for your mother to stay in Canada longer or is she needing to leave Canada and you want her to be able to return?

If it is the former, she needs to apply to extend her visitor status. This has nothing to do with a visa. A person can be in Canada legally with an expired visa.
Yes, to clarify, she is currently staying in Canada with Super Visa, and it expires on Jan 2018. I would like to renew her Super Visa (i.e. visitor status) in a same way that I (my immigration consultant) did for Super Visa.

As normal visitor status only gives you at the maximum of 6 month, with Super Visa, I can get more than a year or two. That's what I'm trying to do.

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Hi,

if you can share the cover letter to hunjgo@gmail.com, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for sharing!

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
As mentioned you can only apply for extension of stay if your mom super visa is Valid. Your post is not clear that on Jan 03, 2019 her visa is expiring or her period of 2 years continuous stay is ending up? Check the validity of visa on passport.
to apply online extension below is the link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

for second part of your question your application will auto link via her passport number. Even the bio metrics will auto transfer try login through online account. Normally they issue same UCI # which auto inherited from Super Visa.

Good Luck
Hi,

Just to clarify, we initially received the Letter of Introduction for a PG-1 Super Visa, and received for up to 2 years from the initial entry.
So, upon her initial entry, she got 2 year-length paper visa. So technically, initial application for the super visa has ended.

Does this mean that I should apply for Super Visa as a new application, but not like an extension?
Can this be done within Canada as well?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, to clarify, she is currently staying in Canada with Super Visa, and it expires on Jan 2018. I would like to renew her Super Visa (i.e. visitor status) in a same way that I (my immigration consultant) did for Super Visa.

As normal visitor status only gives you at the maximum of 6 month, with Super Visa, I can get more than a year or two. That's what I'm trying to do.
She will have to return her home country to
Hi,

Just to clarify, we initially received the Letter of Introduction for a PG-1 Super Visa, and received for up to 2 years from the initial entry.
So, upon her initial entry, she got 2 year-length paper visa. So technically, initial application for the super visa has ended.

Does this mean that I should apply for Super Visa as a new application, but not like an extension?
Can this be done within Canada as well?
How long was she given for a supervisa 5 years? 10 years?

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
She will have to return her home country to

How long was she given for a supervisa 5 years? 10 years?
She was given for 2 years for the first time, and we got the paper visa for two years upon her initial entry.
Do you mean that she has to return to home country to reapply for Super Visa?

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Just to help everyone's understanding, this is the letter that we initially received from CIC for her Super Visa.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbtv5vp3xwlw3l0/supervisa.png?dl=0

The confusing part is that in the email that this letter was attached, it says she is eligible to remain in Canada for up to 2 years, but nothing mentioned in the approval letter. Does that mean that her super visa was only valid for two years? or does it mean that she can get it up to two year stamp upon her initial entry and can apply for extension?

Below is the email content:

--------------

Dear Applicant:

Your application for a PG-1 Super Visa has been approved. You are a Korean national and do not require a counterfoil.

Please present this letter of introduction to the immigration official at the Port of Entry. You are eligible to remain in Canada for up to 2 years from date of initial entry.

Please enter Canada prior to the expiry of your medical results which is : 2017/07/21.

Please note that you are still required to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for travel to Canada.
Sincerely,
Temporary Resident Unit
Immigration Section - Bureau de visa

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You want to extend her visitor status, NOT apply for a supervisa. These are very different things. She can request however long she wants but the length of the extension granted is entirely up to IRCC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

jhoongo

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
You want to extend her visitor status, NOT apply for a supervisa. These are very different things. She can request however long she wants but the length of the extension granted is entirely up to IRCC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html
Yeah, I just realized the difference, and understand why people were confused about what I said.
I just talked with CIC people over the phone, and clarified few doubts.

So, the one thing that I missed to mention was that my mom is from one of visa exemption country.
She never had a visa type of things in her passport; what I meant in my previous posts about visa was Visitor Record.

I just confirmed with the agent that in her case, ETA's validity is how long she can stay in Canada before applying for new Super Visa.
Which I would like to confirm with some people here if that's the case; I will also double check with CIC later tomorrow once again if that statement is correct.

So, according to the agent, what I really should do is that I apply for extension of visitor status in Canada, providing all financial supporting documents, letters, and other documents. Just like extending student permit.

Please let me know if I still don't understand this correctly, or if I'm making any mistake in here.

Thanks a lot