+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

super visa, extending the stay question

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
My father came to visit us on a super visa a few days ago. we already bought insurance for him and printed out the insurance receipt for him because we knew that the custom is gonna ask for it. However, at Pearson Airport when the custom officer asked, he didn't know what is going on (he is almost 80 years old and doesn't understand any english) and failed to present the receipt. The result is that the officer only gave him 6 months to stay. We really like it to be 2 years though.
He was told at the custom (through a translator) that he can buy insurance in 15 days and call local immigration office (we live in Montreal) to extend the stay allowance. I looked up the Montreal immigration office on the internet and found nothing except their address. I don't know what to do now, to write them a letter and wait for their answer? which in my experience would take forever.
Does anyone has similar experience and share some tips with me?
I also have a doubt that it should be local custom office instead of the local immigration office that should take care of such a thing? Am I right?

thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to extend his visit in Canada you will need to submit an extension application by following the instructions on the page below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
thanks for reply. but I think what the custom officer meant is not this process, but to change the custom stamp right away if we can present the insurance receipt, so we don't need to go through the normal stay-extension application process. Maybe I am wrong and I have to go through this process anyway.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
laomiao said:
thanks for reply. but I think what the custom officer meant is not this process, but to change the custom stamp right away if we can present the insurance receipt, so we don't need to go through the normal stay-extension application process. Maybe I am wrong and I have to go through this process anyway.
I have never heard of this process. The only process for extending a stay that officially exists is the one I provided a link to above.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laomiao said:
he didn't know what is going on (he is almost 80 years old and doesn't understand any english) and failed to present the receipt.
A relative of mine doesn't understand English as well, but was able to get in a line in the YVR airport where officials speaks their language. Perhaps there's one in YYZ? Otherwise, he can take flight to YVR airport the next time he comes to Canada?