+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

super visa ,can parents stay more than 6 months or not??

ajcanada

Star Member
Oct 13, 2013
Visa Office......
ottawa
Doc's Request.
rcmp 05-05-2014
AOR Received.
07-01-2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
31 may 2014
Med's Done....
2 june and got RPRF same day
Interview........
June 18 status changed to medical recieved
Passport Req..
June 19, status changed to decision made JUNE 20
LANDED..........
July 6
H i guys, my parents are here on supervisa. they are here for 2nd time. first time they stayed for 6 months 3 days.(there was no date on passport when they have to leave)) but this time they want to stay more than 6 months. when they came here at airport immigration officer didn't put any expiry date ( date of leave canada)
so my question is do they have to extend their stay ?

i was looking on cic site which says
How does the parent and grandparent super visa differ from a visitor visa?
Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee.

With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status.

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

There are also specific requirements that you must meet to be able to get a super visa. See the IRCC website for who can apply for a grandparent super visa or Who is eligible for a parent and grandparent super visa?

Peaceful

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hi,

I have the same question, not sure if parents are allowed to stay longer than 6 months after the initial entry. Did you find the answer for this?

I'm also being told that border officer would put an expiry date upon arrival, which didn't happen on your case. Not sure if we can assume that they would allowed to stay upto 2 years?

Also, did they issue a super visa for 10 years or until the expiry of your passport?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I have the same question, not sure if parents are allowed to stay longer than 6 months after the initial entry. Did you find the answer for this?

I'm also being told that border officer would put an expiry date upon arrival, which didn't happen on your case. Not sure if we can assume that they would allowed to stay upto 2 years?

Also, did they issue a super visa for 10 years or until the expiry of your passport?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2018-temporary-port.html

No handwritten date = 6 months.

ajcanada

Star Member
Oct 13, 2013
Visa Office......
ottawa
Doc's Request.
rcmp 05-05-2014
AOR Received.
07-01-2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
31 may 2014
Med's Done....
2 june and got RPRF same day
Interview........
June 18 status changed to medical recieved
Passport Req..
June 19, status changed to decision made JUNE 20
LANDED..........
July 6
yes intial entry is 2 years after that its 6 months if not stated. i applied for extension, havent received any update yet

and super visa is for 10 years or expiry of passport ( lets say if ur parents passport has 7 years left it will be for 7 years)

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
I wonder if any forum-member has any recent experience after June 18, 2018?
as
I do see an update, recent to above link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2018-super-visa-guidance.html

On this update, it mentions "each entry to Canada should be for a duration of up to 2 years" .

Interested to know if any recent experience of supervisa holder coming to canada on second visit(having initial 2 year entry length exhausted)

juanjr72

Oct 27, 2018
Hi

My parents are super visa - but the got stamp for 6 months + handwritten . which expired already last week.

What do we do? Apply for an extension? (Even with a super visa)

Also: They got selected to submit full application for permanent resident through "Parents Sponsorship"

This conditions apply for Implied Status?

Quite confuse the Super Visa Situation - even with a approved super visa , their passports says: "Multiple Visa"

Appreciate your opinions

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi

My parents are super visa - but the got stamp for 6 months + handwritten . which expired already last week.

What do we do? Apply for an extension? (Even with a super visa)

Also: They got selected to submit full application for permanent resident through "Parents Sponsorship"

This conditions apply for Implied Status?

Quite confuse the Super Visa Situation - even with a approved super visa , their passports says: "Multiple Visa"

Appreciate your opinions

Thanks
If their visa entry limit has expired, they need to either leave Canada or apply for restoration of status. They can't apply to extend as they are now overstayed. There is no implied status applicable at this point in time. A PR application gives no status.

jollie

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 30 2013
File Transfer...
June 25, 2013
Hi anyone here will fly to winnipeg from philippines so my mother can someone be with her during her travel ? she is planning to go here around april or May .. her supervisa already aproved and she has a visa on hand. TIA