+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Summary of my refugee hearing experience (Positive Decision)

Raphaell

Jul 6, 2019
Canada
Hello everyone, I felt I should walk you guys through some of my experiences during my refugee claim proccess. The process of making a refugee claim can be difficult for most people. I remembered feeling uncertain, anxious, overwhelmed, and afraid while waiting for my refugee hearing. Sometimes, I would go through the comments and experiences shared by people on this site, and I would obtain ideas and comfort from their 'success stories', as I found those stories useful in helping me to cope during those difficult times. So, I felt I should share my experiences with anyone who maybe in a similar condition or curious about the refugee hearing proccess.
I came into Canada in August 2018. The first decision I made was to get the best lawyer I could find in the city to help me tell my story efficiently and win my case. I had been through so much, and I did not want to take a chances with my legal representation. I strongly believe that the decision to get the best legal representation was a major key to success in my refugee claim. Immediately I arrived, I met several lawyers, and I finally decided to go with the lawyer that possessed the qualities I was interested in. One reason I chose her was that she did not seem to be interested in taking money out of me, she had excellent record of refugee hearing winnings, and and she was ready to go all out to ensure my hearing was successful.
After I made my refugee claim, my lawyer obtained a work and study permit for me. Later, I received a mail from IRB that my hearing date was postponed and TBA. The period in-between making a refugee claim and attending the hearing was difficult for me, as it was as though I was kept in a limbo. My lawyer and her team did her best to support me professionally and emotionally.
In April, I received a mail that my hearing was sheduled for May and began preparation towards that date. In May, I received a mail that my hearing was postponed to June. Few days before my hearing date in June, my lawyer received a call informing us that my hearing was postponed to July. Few days to go for my hearing in July, my lawyer called the IRB to confirm my hearing date and venue and was informed that my hearing would be postponed to October. My lawyer refused to take any more delays, and she fought to have my hearing scheduled for the same month (on a later date in July) rather than have it postponed by three months, as my case was sensitive.
My lawyer and her team "over-prepared me" for my hearing. During periods I felt unsure, my lawyer helped me cope. She would tell me "I am not handling your case to loose or to get an appeal. Rather, I am handling your case to win". I had several meetings and mock hearings with my lawyers and her team, as they went through every detail of my narrative over and over. I had questions thrown at me from all angles because my lawyer wanted me to be able to tell my story regardless of how tough the hearing goes, as she called my preparation an "overkill". She informed me of areas where I needed to provide evidence and which evidence would better support my claim. My lawyer informed me that every refugee decision maker (or judge) is looking for the heart of a refugee claim story, which varies from case to case. She pointed out the heart of my story and showed me areas in my narrative where questions would likely arise from and went through them together.
I went into my hearing session in July trusting God and fully confident that I would be successful. On the day of my hearing, I, my lawyer, and her team met at the venue. There was a challenge in the video conference connection, so my hearing session started late. I had three sessions in total. My first session took about 15 minutes, the second session lasted took about 10 minutes, and the third session took about 15 minutes. The decision maker (or judge) asked me more "open-ended questions", which I answered correctly. At the final session, the decion maker came in and said that he believed my narative, and that I now have a protected person status. In August, I received my notice of decision and permission to apply for provincial health coverage and PR.
I faced a lot of struggles, challenges, and worries during my refugee claim proccess, but after I received a positive decision during my hearing session I realize that the struggle was worth it. I hope I have helped you with this information. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Thanks.

Reactions: 9990

Buffertiger

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone, I felt I should walk you guys through some of my experiences during my refugee claim proccess. The process of making a refugee claim can be difficult for most people. I remembered feeling uncertain, anxious, overwhelmed, and afraid while waiting for my refugee hearing. Sometimes, I would go through the comments and experiences shared by people on this site, and I would obtain ideas and comfort from their 'success stories', as I found those stories useful in helping me to cope during those difficult times. So, I felt I should share my experiences with anyone who maybe in a similar condition or curious about the refugee hearing proccess.
I came into Canada in August 2018. The first decision I made was to get the best lawyer I could find in the city to help me tell my story efficiently and win my case. I had been through so much, and I did not want to take a chances with my legal representation. I strongly believe that the decision to get the best legal representation was a major key to success in my refugee claim. Immediately I arrived, I met several lawyers, and I finally decided to go with the lawyer that possessed the qualities I was interested in. One reason I chose her was that she did not seem to be interested in taking money out of me, she had excellent record of refugee hearing winnings, and and she was ready to go all out to ensure my hearing was successful.
After I made my refugee claim, my lawyer obtained a work and study permit for me. Later, I received a mail from IRB that my hearing date was postponed and TBA. The period in-between making a refugee claim and attending the hearing was difficult for me, as it was as though I was kept in a limbo. My lawyer and her team did her best to support me professionally and emotionally.
In April, I received a mail that my hearing was sheduled for May and began preparation towards that date. In May, I received a mail that my hearing was postponed to June. Few days before my hearing date in June, my lawyer received a call informing us that my hearing was postponed to July. Few days to go for my hearing in July, my lawyer called the IRB to confirm my hearing date and venue and was informed that my hearing would be postponed to October. My lawyer refused to take any more delays, and she fought to have my hearing scheduled for the same month (on a later date in July) rather than have it postponed by three months, as my case was sensitive.
My lawyer and her team "over-prepared me" for my hearing. During periods I felt unsure, my lawyer helped me cope. She would tell me "I am not handling your case to loose or to get an appeal. Rather, I am handling your case to win". I had several meetings and mock hearings with my lawyers and her team, as they went through every detail of my narrative over and over. I had questions thrown at me from all angles because my lawyer wanted me to be able to tell my story regardless of how tough the hearing goes, as she called my preparation an "overkill". She informed me of areas where I needed to provide evidence and which evidence would better support my claim. My lawyer informed me that every refugee decision maker (or judge) is looking for the heart of a refugee claim story, which varies from case to case. She pointed out the heart of my story and showed me areas in my narrative where questions would likely arise from and went through them together.
I went into my hearing session in July trusting God and fully confident that I would be successful. On the day of my hearing, I, my lawyer, and her team met at the venue. There was a challenge in the video conference connection, so my hearing session started late. I had three sessions in total. My first session took about 15 minutes, the second session lasted took about 10 minutes, and the third session took about 15 minutes. The decision maker (or judge) asked me more "open-ended questions", which I answered correctly. At the final session, the decion maker came in and said that he believed my narative, and that I now have a protected person status. In August, I received my notice of decision and permission to apply for provincial health coverage and PR.
I faced a lot of struggles, challenges, and worries during my refugee claim proccess, but after I received a positive decision during my hearing session I realize that the struggle was worth it. I hope I have helped you with this information. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Thanks.
Can u share your lawyer information pls thanks

Hi123fmfncjr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2019
"My lawyer refused to take any more delays, and she fought to have my hearing scheduled for the same month (on a later date in July) rather than have it postponed by three months, as my case was sensitive."

How did your lawyer overpower the IRB? Whom did she contact? I have had the same exact issue, but i can't defend myself against the injustice of their scheduling system. My lawyer has sent in letters but nothing yet... Rescheduled many times :(

Jan 10, 2017
Her name is Elizabeth Wozniak, and her address is 5475 Spring Garden Rd Suite 701, Halifax, NS B3J 3T2
If may I ask how much does it whole process cost you?

You've said that your lawyer was expensive, I'm just asking to have an idea about it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
"My lawyer refused to take any more delays, and she fought to have my hearing scheduled for the same month (on a later date in July) rather than have it postponed by three months, as my case was sensitive."

How did your lawyer overpower the IRB? Whom did she contact? I have had the same exact issue, but i can't defend myself against the injustice of their scheduling system. My lawyer has sent in letters but nothing yet... Rescheduled many times :(
Doesn’t sound like you had multiple last minute cancellations. That is why the lawyer was able to fight. If you got a cancellation during the first 3 months that isn’t actually counted as a cancellation.

Raphaell

Jul 6, 2019
Canada
If may I ask how much does it whole process cost you?

You've said that your lawyer was expensive, I'm just asking to have an idea about it.
My legal fee was about CAD5,500, which includes filling and submission of your PR application (but does not cover the PR fees). Thank you

Reactions: 9990