11-28-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2017
Med's Done....
11-12-2017
Hi all,

We are a common-law couple - me Canadian born and my partner Colombian - both of us living in Ecuador. Our file was transferred to the Mexico Visa Office in January 2018. We applied in October 2017. At the time, police reports did not need to be included with the package. I have read that Colombian police reports cannot be issued until we receive a specific request from the Mexico office. Is this true? Should we wait until we hear back before trying to send police reports, or should I try to go ahead and send them now?

My thanks to you all for your help!

Application: October 2017
Received: November 2017
Requested Schedule A and Medical: December 2017
Transferred: January 2018
ECAS changed to reviewing: February 2018

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
The info is on this page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/colombia.html

How to Get a Police Certificate – Colombia

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will send you a file number and a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You will need that letter and file number when you apply for a Police Certificate.

You'll have to wait for the police check request from CIC before you can approach the police, unfortunately. That was the same for me in Thailand.

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Note you may also have to provide a police cert from Ecuador too, since that's where you currently live. That looks to be an online application that you can do without needing the request first.

Jan 14, 2018
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
Doc's Request.
20-03-2018
AOR Received.
11-28-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2017
Med's Done....
11-12-2017
Note you may also have to provide a police cert from Ecuador too, since that's where you currently live. That looks to be an online application that you can do without needing the request first.
Sebeck thank you so very much for your reply and for your help, we really appreciate it! Do you have idea perhaps whether with the certificate from Ecuador that that is a document we would need to have notarize or legalized in some way, rather than just printing off an online document? It seems to me to make sense that yes but just checking. I assume that would all need to be translated and then mailed in as well.

Again thank you and best of luck and speed with your process!

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
You're welcome :) I didn't get either of mine notarized but it wouldn't be a bad idea, particularly if you can take care of that while waiting for the official request from CIC. And yes - police certs have to be translated into English or French. It might be worth asking if you can get them done in English though - mine were. If you have linked your app to an online account, you won't mail in the police certs - you'll just scan and upload them to the online system when asked. Best of luck!

Reactions: CastorColombiana

Adylene

Aug 29, 2022
Sebeck thank you so very much for your reply and for your help, we really appreciate it! Do you have idea perhaps whether with the certificate from Ecuador that that is a document we would need to have notarize or legalized in some way, rather than just printing off an online document? It seems to me to make sense that yes but just checking. I assume that would all need to be translated and then mailed in as well.

Again thank you and best of luck and speed with your process!
Hello,

Did you end up notarizing or just translating your police certificate from Ecuador? What do you recommend? I would think that since the police certificate provided online is original and then it's scanned and uploaded online, there is no need for notarization. Is that true?
Thank you

Feb 27, 2023
I already received the request for police check from Colombia, I did it with one of the agencies suggested by IRCC I received an email confirming that embassy in bogota got the police check but if I check my session in IRCC it still is requesting the police check… I’m not sure what shall I upload since I understand I wouldn’t have to… thanks for your guidance