+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestion for bringing the spouse after marriage to canada

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
This is for requesting suggestion from people who were in similar situation in the past.

Lets say I am in canada on workpermit I am not married yet currently and I am intending to marry in next 3-6 months in india .

I know there are two options to bring back the spouse to canada - either visitor visa or SOWP.

Please suggest which option to choose so the spouse can be here soon?

also will there be any issues if I apply for visitor visa and then later convert to owp inland once the spouse comes in on visitor visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is for requesting suggestion from people who were in similar situation in the past.

Lets say I am in canada on workpermit I am not married yet currently and I am intending to marry in next 3-6 months in india .

I know there are two options to bring back the spouse to canada - either visitor visa or SOWP.

Please suggest which option to choose so the spouse can be here soon?

also will there be any issues if I apply for visitor visa and then later convert to owp inland once the spouse comes in on visitor visa?
Are you working in NOC 0, A or B? When does your WP expire? Is this an arranged marriage? If no have you spent a lot of time together in person in your home country? It can be difficult to get a permit/visa right after marriage if there is minimal in person relationship.

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
Are you working in NOC 0, A or B? When does your WP expire? Is this an arranged marriage? If no have you spent a lot of time together in person in your home country? It can be difficult to get a permit/visa right after marriage if there is minimal in person relationship.
Arranged marriage. So no I haven't spent much time with spouse.
Working in NoC 0,a or b - yes
Wp expires July 2024

Can we apply visitor visa after marriage or before ?

Please advice. Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Arranged marriage. So no I haven't spent much time with spouse.
Working in NoC 0,a or b - yes
Wp expires July 2024

Can we apply visitor visa after marriage or before ?

Please advice. Thanks in advance
Yes you can apply for a TRV. Chances are often better before marriage but no guarantees. It is also very dependent on the applicant’s profile. Whether they have longterm good employment, whether they have ties to their home country like property or dependent family members, whether they travelled internationally to countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc. and what amount of savings they have. Due to immigration fraud, Canada often wants to seek proof of a relationship over a period of time before granting an OWP (TRV is not the correct visa/permit) for the spouse of a WP holder. You should certainly try to apply for an OWP after marriage but it isn’t guaranteed on your first attempt especially in arranged marriages applying right after marriage. Many are under the impression that is guaranteed so are surprised when it is denied on their first attempt. If possible I would spend time as much time in person after you getting married living together. I realize that you may have limited holiday time.