App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
So I've been living in Uruguay with my DH for just over 5 years....

I'm coming back to Canada with our kids for initially a visit in Aug.. but I was thinking of just staying in Canada.. and maybe set some things up (drivers licence, resuming Canadian life etc...) that and it would save a ton of money...

Will this look bad on our application? Should I keep track of our continued relationship? while we are apart?

If he has to have an interview -- should/do I have to be there as well?

I am really torn as what I should do.. b/c on the one hand I don't want to leave and split up our family... for goodness knows how long....

but on the other I don't want to come back only to have him possibly accepted in say October... (5months) -- SUCH a waste of money..... (we are talking like 8grand)

plus my son can start kindergarten.. and i can get things sorta set up ....

any idea/thoughts...

also if he were rejected... for whatever reason.. it would be easier to get an appeal in Canada right? I mean if i were in uruguay.. what would my options be? little to none right?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Hi there.. if you do stay in Canada, it is critical that you keep track of all contact with your husband. If they do interview they will want to see all these things. I don't think it would be a red flag to them. Your reasons are all perfectly understandable and actually show your intent to build a life in Canada, which is important. If they do interview him, you don't have to be there.

If you were denied, you could start an appeal from Uruguay but you would eventually have to come to Canada to settle things, that's true. The appeal hearing and everything would take place in Canada, although they usually call the foreign spouse and have them testify over the phone.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
jillandmat said:
I'm coming back to Canada with our kids for initially a visit in Aug.. but I was thinking of just staying in Canada.. and maybe set some things up (drivers licence, resuming Canadian life etc...) that and it would save a ton of money...

Will this look bad on our application?
No, it won't look bad. You (or he, in the interview) can explain that you went back to get everything ready for your family's return to Canadian life - mention your child starting kindergarten, looking for an apartment and a job, etc. This will also help, since if you sponsor from outside Canada, you have to prove you will return to Canada to live. Actually having returned to Canada to live will help with this. Make sure the visa officer knows you did, though. Mirkopal came back to Canada to live, and was even working for the gov't, but their application was rejected because the visa officer didn't believe the sponsor would come back to Canada. Clearly, the VOs aren't always very careful.
Should I keep track of our continued relationship? while we are apart?
Definitely. You don't want them to think you've broken up.
If he has to have an interview -- should/do I have to be there as well?
You don't have to be there, and in my experience being there does not help. If they interview the sponsor as well, it is just double the chance to make a mistake.
also if he were rejected... for whatever reason.. it would be easier to get an appeal in Canada right? I mean if i were in uruguay.. what would my options be? little to none right?
If he is rejected, you just send in notice you want to appeal, and then you wait, often for a year or more. You can send in the notice to appeal and wait in Canada or Uruguay. The appeal will be in Canada, so you do have to come back for that.