+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sufficient proof of intent? Second guessing myself....

jnt211

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
New York
App. Filed.......
08-08-2018
I've already submitted our application but am wondering (after reading that someone included 50 pages of proof of intent to move) that we wildly under submitted documentation. For proof of intent to move we included letters from a few family members who live in the city we plan to move to and who are Canadian citizens stating our intention to move/their support, we included the name and contact information of the job recruiter my husband is using in Canada, we included a brief note that explained why we are moving and the neighborhoods we are interested in living and we included my job offer in Canada. Does this sound like it should be sufficient or should I be anticipating a request for further proof? Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I've already submitted our application but am wondering (after reading that someone included 50 pages of proof of intent to move) that we wildly under submitted documentation. For proof of intent to move we included letters from a few family members who live in the city we plan to move to and who are Canadian citizens stating our intention to move/their support, we included the name and contact information of the job recruiter my husband is using in Canada, we included a brief note that explained why we are moving and the neighborhoods we are interested in living and we included my job offer in Canada. Does this sound like it should be sufficient or should I be anticipating a request for further proof? Thanks!
If you were looking at what you submitted, knowing only what you saw before you about the applicant’s circumstances, would you be convinced?

rahmab

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Tanzania
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
App. Filed.......
14-11-2017
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
File Transfer...
14-02-2017
You did more than I did! I just wrote a letter stating that I had kept my nursing license up to date in Ontario and then had an outline of what steps we would make once our application process was further along like starting to look for jobs, starting to look for accommodation and how we would be going about with those activities. Had a plan of what my husband could do for work on arrival.

jnt211

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
New York
App. Filed.......
08-08-2018
If you were looking at what you submitted, knowing only what you saw before you about the applicant’s circumstances, would you be convinced?
As this isn’t my area of expertise, I am uncertain and that’s why I posted here. I don’t know what appears as red flags and don’t have a broad enough understanding of the topic and what depth it is expected to go into.

jnt211

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
New York
App. Filed.......
08-08-2018
You did more than I did! I just wrote a letter stating that I had kept my nursing license up to date in Ontario and then had an outline of what steps we would make once our application process was further along like starting to look for jobs, starting to look for accommodation and how we would be going about with those activities. Had a plan of what my husband could do for work on arrival.
Thanks for your reply. With this amount of information did you get approval?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As this isn’t my area of expertise, I am uncertain and that’s why I posted here. I don’t know what appears as red flags and don’t have a broad enough understanding of the topic and what depth it is expected to go into.
For what it's worth, our application had a lot less evidence than you are providing. We had a letter of support from my wife's parents and a letter of explanation from us about our plans. That was however back five years ago. Things have got stricter since then, especially for certain demographics.

ursus

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
File Transfer...
26-04-2018
Med's Request
05-04-2018
Med's Done....
25-04-2018
Passport Req..
17-08-2018
My advice is don't worry about what you've submitted but work now (don't wait 'til they ask for more proof!) on developing a continuous paper trail now that you've submitted the application proving the sponsor intends to move back. Continue the emails to friends, email potential work contacts, rental/real estate agencies, start preparations for moving (e.g. sponsor contacts shipping companies for quotes), just whatever you can think of doing that you can document and send to them if they ask for futher proof.

What you've submitted sounds good, more than what we did - we then got a request for further proof and submitted some of the stuff above, but wished we had been a bit more proactive in doing things that created a paper trail rather than just waiting for approval to start moving prep properly. Luckily the futher proof we had was acceptable to them though!

Reactions: jnt211

jnt211

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
New York
App. Filed.......
08-08-2018
If you were looking at what you
My advice is don't worry about what you've submitted but work now (don't wait 'til they ask for more proof!) on developing a continuous paper trail now that you've submitted the application proving the sponsor intends to move back. Continue the emails to friends, email potential work contacts, rental/real estate agencies, start preparations for moving (e.g. sponsor contacts shipping companies for quotes), just whatever you can think of doing that you can document and send to them if they ask for futher proof.

What you've submitted sounds good, more than what we did - we then got a request for further proof and submitted some of the stuff above, but wished we had been a bit more proactive in doing things that created a paper trail rather than just waiting for approval to start moving prep properly. Luckily the futher proof we had was acceptable to them though!
super helpful. Thank you!!

oconnor87

Jul 7, 2018
Hey all! We just received medical request today along with a note about additional documents stating we needs items such as sponsors evidence to establish themselves in Canada from rental agreement, job offer, employment contract, letter of invitation etc.

With our application we submitted all of our messages to friends about waiting on visa and wanting to move, letter from family & friends supporting our move along with us previously reaching out to jobs about work.

My fiancé the sponsor is Canadian and we are living in the Caribbean, she has to give her work 3 months notice and wasn’t planning to do so until visa is approved. She does not own anything in Canada but of course we want to buy a house together one day there.

Any suggestions besides adding in another letter for supporting documents?
Appreciate it in advance

ursus

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
File Transfer...
26-04-2018
Med's Request
05-04-2018
Med's Done....
25-04-2018
Passport Req..
17-08-2018
I posted this in another thread, this is what we submitted and got PPR/DM a few weeks afterwards:

* Screengrabs of instant messaging conversations between the PA and the sponsor where moving was mentioned, e.g. looking at rental listings
* Emails from sponsor to her friends back in Canada telling them she's moving back
* A government job bank profile for the sponsor
* Emails to shipping companies by the sponsor looking for quotes on moving her stuff back to Canada
* Emails to a pet moving company about moving our cats to Canada, alongside ownership documentation for the cats in her name
* Emails to sponsor's family about moving back, including emails from the sponsor herself and also from her parents to other relatives where they talk about the move

A few weeks before we received the request for further proof, we had actually decided to take a gamble and plan to move in October despite not being sure I'd have COPR by then. This was possible because I'm lucky enough to be from a visa exempt country so could go as a visitor under dual intent. Because of this we were also able to submit evidence of booking a short term rental for our first month back in Canada. But I don't think this was necessary in addition to the above to prove intent. Also, some of the above was done after the request for proof, and some was done beforehand.

We also included a letter outlining the 'narrative' of the evidence above, and explaining why some things weren't there, such as:

* Explaining we are not in the position to buy a house because we can't afford it and there's not much point contacting rental agencies until you have a firm moving date that's within a month or two
* We don't have financial assets etc to move so have limited proof of financial planning for sponsor returning
* It's difficult for the sponsor to look for a job without knowing a firm moving date and it being relatively soon, so preparation on that front was limited to having a speculative job bank profile

We were initially concerned we didn't have the type proof the letter suggests you provide ("proof that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada when you become a permanent resident. This includes but is not limited to copies of correspondence with: potential employers, real estate companies, property rental agencies, health care agencies, insurance agencies, financial institutions, etc.") but clearly given our example there's plenty other acceptable proof you can provide even if you don't have most of those things.

My strong advice would be a) not to panic about it and b) just spend time creating a paper trail of moving preparations, no matter how informal, that you could submit evidence of if you are asked to. As I said above, some of the proof we provided was actually created after we received the request (and I've seen other people on here only submit proof created after receiving the request), so it's not a huge problem if you get the request Indeed, we mentioned in our narrative letter that we were taking the request for further proof as an indication that our application was approaching the final stages and that it was a sign to begin to prepare more seriously for the move, so that's why some bits of proof were dated after the request. But it will also be much easier to comply with and satisfy them if you do get it if you've already been creating that paper trail where you can.

oconnor87

Jul 7, 2018
I posted this in another thread, this is what we submitted and got PPR/DM a few weeks afterwards:

* Screengrabs of instant messaging conversations between the PA and the sponsor where moving was mentioned, e.g. looking at rental listings
* Emails from sponsor to her friends back in Canada telling them she's moving back
* A government job bank profile for the sponsor
* Emails to shipping companies by the sponsor looking for quotes on moving her stuff back to Canada
* Emails to a pet moving company about moving our cats to Canada, alongside ownership documentation for the cats in her name
* Emails to sponsor's family about moving back, including emails from the sponsor herself and also from her parents to other relatives where they talk about the move

A few weeks before we received the request for further proof, we had actually decided to take a gamble and plan to move in October despite not being sure I'd have COPR by then. This was possible because I'm lucky enough to be from a visa exempt country so could go as a visitor under dual intent. Because of this we were also able to submit evidence of booking a short term rental for our first month back in Canada. But I don't think this was necessary in addition to the above to prove intent. Also, some of the above was done after the request for proof, and some was done beforehand.

We also included a letter outlining the 'narrative' of the evidence above, and explaining why some things weren't there, such as:

* Explaining we are not in the position to buy a house because we can't afford it and there's not much point contacting rental agencies until you have a firm moving date that's within a month or two
* We don't have financial assets etc to move so have limited proof of financial planning for sponsor returning
* It's difficult for the sponsor to look for a job without knowing a firm moving date and it being relatively soon, so preparation on that front was limited to having a speculative job bank profile

We were initially concerned we didn't have the type proof the letter suggests you provide ("proof that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada when you become a permanent resident. This includes but is not limited to copies of correspondence with: potential employers, real estate companies, property rental agencies, health care agencies, insurance agencies, financial institutions, etc.") but clearly given our example there's plenty other acceptable proof you can provide even if you don't have most of those things.

My strong advice would be a) not to panic about it and b) just spend time creating a paper trail of moving preparations, no matter how informal, that you could submit evidence of if you are asked to. As I said above, some of the proof we provided was actually created after we received the request (and I've seen other people on here only submit proof created after receiving the request), so it's not a huge problem if you get the request Indeed, we mentioned in our narrative letter that we were taking the request for further proof as an indication that our application was approaching the final stages and that it was a sign to begin to prepare more seriously for the move, so that's why some bits of proof were dated after the request. But it will also be much easier to comply with and satisfy them if you do get it if you've already been creating that paper trail where you can.

this is very helpful and good to know we can also start a new paper trail after this request. with our initial application we did include letters already from family supporting our move, screen shots to friends for past year us talking about how we are in process of visa cant wait to move etc etc so it is strange they ask for more. We will reach out to health insurance companies, sunlife financial on details how to transfer pension, etc showing we are ready to move and submit our work notice once approved. will also write a detailed letter as well in further explanation of our move and financial status. positive thoughts it all works out.

oconnor87

Jul 7, 2018
hello again, once we have our paper trail & further letters together do we upload the documents somehow or mail them in?

Thank you

ursus

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
File Transfer...
26-04-2018
Med's Request
05-04-2018
Med's Done....
25-04-2018
Passport Req..
17-08-2018
hello again, once we have our paper trail & further letters together do we upload the documents somehow or mail them in?

Thank you
If you've been asked for proof you should have an upload slot on MyCIC. When you're on the application page look for the 'view submitted application' link on the top left and click that to get to the upload slots.

oconnor87

Jul 7, 2018
If you've been asked for proof you should have an upload slot on MyCIC. When you're on the application page look for the 'view submitted application' link on the top left and click that to get to the upload slots.
no there is no upload spot as of yet, it doesnt even say we have requested additional documents we only received that in the email so perhaps it will take a bit of time to update the online gckey?