+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sudden Death of a filipino worker in Canada

flis

Apr 29, 2009
i would like to ask what is the best way for my freind who pass-away yesterday while sleeping .He's a filipino, and right now the company is arranging he's remain , and doing the autopsy and i want to know what can the philippine government do for my friend , can he's immediet family go to Canada as soon as possible ? it would be a very great help from all of you if you can help us .thansk you very much in advance

flis

Apr 29, 2009
flis said:
i would like to ask what is the best way for my freind who pass-away yesterday while sleeping .He's a filipino, and right now the company is arranging he's remain , and doing the autopsy and i want to know what can the philippine government do for my friend , can he's immediet family go to Canada as soon as possible ? it would be a very great help from all of you if you can help us .thansk you very much in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sorry about your friend. Where do they want to bury him, in Canada or the Philippines? If they want to bury him in Canada, they will need to apply for visit visas to go. If they want to bury him in the Philippines, they need to arrange for the remains to be transported. If he's a low skill worker, his company may have been responsible for his flights. If they already have a ticket for him, you may ask the airline if that ticket is still honored. Maybe he also had a return ticket himself already. If not, if they do not have money to bring him back, you can ask the Philippine government for help or charities, both in the Philippines and Canada. Also ask the employer if he had insurance through his work. My employer offered a supplemental health insurance that had a life insurance component for $60,000

flis

Apr 29, 2009
Thank you very much for your soon reply. he is a TWP - just arrived in Canada for 2 months only .we were informed that the coverage is only health and travel insurance we belived is CAD10,000 he can recieved , and the family wants his remains to be send back to the philippines . the problem is it cost tooo much .around CAD20,000 .
question:
1.who will provide the travel expenses of the family to go Canada? if incase he will be cremated and it is a fmily memeber only who can bring his ashes back home .
2.Can a family member apply for urgent Visa?and how to process this ?
3.Will the philippines consulate in Canada or Canada government help write a letter to Canada Embassy in Philippines requesting for urgent visa?
thansk you very much again .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Like I said before, if they do not have the money to bring his ashes home, they can ask the Philippines government for help or some charities in the Philippines or Canada. I do not know specifically of any program that helps with funeral expenses or family travel expenses. You can ask the airline also for special rates or discount because of the circumstances. Especially if he already had a return ticket which will not be used now.

2. They can talk to the Canadian embassy requesting an urgent visa because of the situation

3. If the Canadian embassy in the Philippines refuses to process an urgent visa because of the situation and doesn't offer any other options, then you can certainly talk to the Philippines government, possibly through the consulate in Canada or if you are in Canada, you can talk to your MP to pull some strings.

saver

Jun 17, 2009
sending a dead body to any country is more expensive than alive.as far as i know the owwa will be the best agency that can help the family.Because every legal OFW pays certain amount to OWWA for insurance,philhealth and repartration ask this office what can they do to help.Condolence

askulitz

Jul 1, 2009
You must call the nearest POLO office in your area to verify if your friend's employer has submitted some documents(ie:addendum to employment contract) before the arrival of his employee.That is an agreement stated and signed by both parties that employer is responsible for the cost of repatriation of remains to the country of origin of his/her worker.condolence..

yes OWWA pays P100,000.00 to the dependents.