+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Success) Flagpole Experience PGWP: Peace Bridge (Fort Erie), Rainbow Bridge

sidj31

Aug 9, 2022
The transcript I applied from my university was digital copy. Is it okay if i take a print out and produce it before CBSA ?
Do I have to print it in a special paper? Or do you recommend applying again for a physical copy ($15)?
Do we have to print proof of graduation in a special paper?
I just got a color copy, no special paper.

Reactions: nithinte44

luckytruds

Aug 25, 2022
I went to the border here in BC this morning and got my PGWP in less than 30 mins! Very similar experience with the this post, except that I didn't go to another border crossing since I was lucky enough to be successful with my first try :)

Also got my wife's OWP extended already and my son's visitor record as well.

Congratulations! I have the same situation with my husband. But I still don't have my documents from my school. You already have a full time job when you applied for PGWP?

JohnSmith123

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022
Hey guys I made my flagpole last week! I started a new thread another day but it looks like nobody cares lol
I went to the St Stephen 3rd bridge border at NB, NOBODY is doing flagpole there, so it's guaranteed to see an officer to process your request.
I went to the border at 12 am, the US border sucks, and people were waiting in line at the moment, my friends and I were asked to enter their building which made me feel like a prisoner. They asked about my name, birth date, parents' name, parents' birthday, home address, phone number, email, and my god d**m social media accounts. It took us 2 HOURS at the US place, they also asked for the car key to search the car!
After all the lengthy stuff in the US, we returned to the Canadian side, everything was smooth, the super muscle man at the Canadian side was super nice, he took my passport, sealed transcript, study permit, and confirmation to graduate. 15 mins later he got me my work permit!

The Canadian side building was empty, officers were chit-chatting when we arrived, and that was 2 pm. Couldn't believe what will happen at the busy ports like the rainbow bridge at 2 pm, they probably stopped accepting queries for PGWP at the moment.

Xandra1

Aug 31, 2022
Hi everyone, I just wanted to add onto the compendium of anecdotes on here for flagpoling so that it helps others looking to flagpole in the future.

I left early around 5 AM to get to the Rainbow Bridge border and got there around 7:30 AM. I went inside the office and told the officer that I was there for flagpoling, and they said they weren't accepting flagpole applications that day. There was no one else there, so I'm not sure why they didn't let me flagpole (they said that they had other higher priority applications, whatever that means). Would not recommend going there because the officers there seemed like they didn't even want to interact with me (though I might be biased because they didn't let me flagpole).

After this, I decided to try my luck at the Peace Bridge border (Fort Erie). I got there by car, but I decided to complete the flagpoling process by walking. It took me a long time to figure out where to go because I was walking and got some wrong directions, so I got to the bridge around 11 AM. After that, I crossed and got to the US border to get my flagpole notice. The officer there took my passport and fingerprints and asked me a few questions about where I live, what my current status is, if I had ever been in the US etc. He then gave me a piece of paper that had my information on it and had "FLAGPOLE" written in the middle.

After this, I headed back to the Canadian side where the officer asked for my ID and why I was there. I gave them my passport, study permit, and flagpole notice. They then gave me a slip and redirected me to the immigration office or whatever it's called. I walked to the office and handed one of the officers the slip I got earlier, my passport, and the flagpole notice. Later they called me and asked me for all the documents for the PGWP application. After they were done looking over them, they called me again, took my biometrics, and asked me to pay. After payment, I received my work permit. It really only took around 20 or so minutes to get my work permit from when I submitted my documents. The main bottleneck is travelling. The officer who processed my application was really chill (was joking around while he was taking my biometrics lol) so I would recommend this location (assuming you get a similar officer).

I was in a situation where I had actually overstayed my welcome here in Canada. My last semester was Fall 2021 but my graduation got delayed to May so I stayed in Canada for the entire Winter 2022 semester without actually being a student (pretty sure that violates my study permit conditions). That's the main reason I decided to flagpole. I had an explanation letter prepared but they never asked me anything about my Winter 2022 status so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tl;dr I would recommend flagpoling if you have extenuating circumstances and aren't sure if you followed all the requirements to be eligible. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort to go all the way to the border unless your job requires you to have a physical work permit before you start or something.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a question please. Was you TRV still valid? Mine is expired. Can I still flagpole?

atlanticbay

Star Member
Aug 23, 2020
Hello there, Need Help Please.
- My study permit is expired and has been given it for an extension, it's been 3 months I'm waiting for my study permit extension from IRCC.
- That leaves me with no valid study permit or TRV
- i have finished my graduation,
- is there a way i can go for the flagpole to get my PGWP without having a valid study permit / TRV?
- Note: my study permit extension is in implied status.
Any help would greatly help me.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Hello there, Need Help Please.
- My study permit is expired and has been given it for an extension, it's been 3 months I'm waiting for my study permit extension from IRCC.
- That leaves me with no valid study permit or TRV
- i have finished my graduation,
- is there a way i can go for the flagpole to get my PGWP without having a valid study permit / TRV?
- Note: my study permit extension is in implied status.
Any help would greatly help me.
You'll have to wait it out, there's no other option for you. To flagpole you either need to be from a visa-exempt country, or have a valid TRV, or have a valid work or study permit.

atlanticbay

Star Member
Aug 23, 2020
You'll have to wait it out, there's no other option for you. To flagpole you either need to be from a visa-exempt country, or have a valid TRV, or have a valid work or study permit.
If you have a valid Study / work permit and not TRV, you can flagpole? How would they let you inside canada without a TRV?

joeale89

Jul 5, 2021
Hi everyone! My wife did the flagpoling for PGWP successfully today at Peace bridge (Fort Erie). This is our story..

First of, we heard that Peace bridge and Rainbow bridge were usually very busy and take up only a few applications, so we considered other options.

We heard about the border in Sarnia which usually isn't that busy and upon calling the CBSA number there, they did say that flagpoling for PGWP is available everyday 24 hours but suggested to come in the morning times. We reached the border at 5 am last thursday with my friend who had a US visa and offered to help my wife cross the border in car. They crossed and came back at the Canadian side within 15-20 minutes. The officer at US border was very friendly and took her passport, study permit and biometrics. After this she got a yellow slip for flagpoling and came to Canadian border. The border official at the Canadian port of entry was not willing to give the permit saying that PGWP is an inland application and follow the online process, so we were heartbroken. She tried reasoning with him about a job offer and an immediate travel we needed as her study permit and TRV were expiring in 20 days. The officer was unwilling and seemed to not know about the process at all, so kept pushing back.

Today we went to Peace Bridge - Fort Erie and reached at about 7.30a.m. The officer at Canadian border instructed her not to come back before 8 a.m. or it won't be counted for flagpoling. She walked towards US side and reached US customs by 7.50a.m. and the officer asked her for the passport, took her photo and gave a flagpoling sheet(white) within a minute. She walked back to Canadian side and reached by 8.10a.m. At the Canadian border, the officer had given preference to pedestrians and she was able to get in fast. The officer took her passport and gave her a yellow flagpoling slip and she entered the CBSA office where her passport and flagpoling slip(white and yellow) were collected. She was surprised to see about 15 people before her inside the office even at 8.15 am when the flagpoling only opens at 8 am. There were also people for other landing procedures and only two officers were handling PGWP applications. After a long wait, by 10.45am, the officer inside called my wife's name and asked for her study permit, course completion certificate, transcript and asked to wait. Official sealed transcript is preferred but some people with a printed copy were asked by the officer to show the online copy in college portal or so. Luckily, she too had only the printed copy but the officer was okay with that. After that he asked her to pay the fees of 255 CAD and whether she has a valid medical and proof of that. After that within minutes, she got her work permit in hand and was out by 11 a.m.

Thank you all for sharing your previous experiences which inspired us to go for it and thank God everything worked out well. Wishing you all success and hope our experience helps any of you!

Liam_Smith

Sep 4, 2022
Hi everyone, I just wanted to add onto the compendium of anecdotes on here for flagpoling so that it helps others looking to flagpole in the future.

I left early around 5 AM to get to the Rainbow Bridge border and got there around 7:30 AM. I went inside the office and told the officer that I was there for flagpoling, and they said they weren't accepting flagpole applications that day. There was no one else there, so I'm not sure why they didn't let me flagpole (they said that they had other higher priority applications, whatever that means). Would not recommend going there because the officers there seemed like they didn't even want to interact with me (though I might be biased because they didn't let me flagpole).

After this, I decided to try my luck at the Peace Bridge border (Fort Erie). I got there by car, but I decided to complete the flagpoling process by walking. It took me a long time to figure out where to go because I was walking and got some wrong directions, so I got to the bridge around 11 AM. After that, I crossed and got to the US border to get my flagpole notice. The officer there took my passport and fingerprints and asked me a few questions about where I live, what my current status is, if I had ever been in the US etc. He then gave me a piece of paper that had my information on it and had "FLAGPOLE" written in the middle.

After this, I headed back to the Canadian side where the officer asked for my ID and why I was there. I gave them my passport, study permit, and flagpole notice. They then gave me a slip and redirected me to the immigration office or whatever it's called. I walked to the office and handed one of the officers the slip I got earlier, my passport, and the flagpole notice. Later they called me and asked me for all the documents for the PGWP application. After they were done looking over them, they called me again, took my biometrics, and asked me to pay. After payment, I received my work permit. It really only took around 20 or so minutes to get my work permit from when I submitted my documents. The main bottleneck is travelling. The officer who processed my application was really chill (was joking around while he was taking my biometrics lol) so I would recommend this location (assuming you get a similar officer).

I was in a situation where I had actually overstayed my welcome here in Canada. My last semester was Fall 2021 but my graduation got delayed to May so I stayed in Canada for the entire Winter 2022 semester without actually being a student (pretty sure that violates my study permit conditions). That's the main reason I decided to flagpole. I had an explanation letter prepared but they never asked me anything about my Winter 2022 status so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tl;dr I would recommend flagpoling if you have extenuating circumstances and aren't sure if you followed all the requirements to be eligible. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort to go all the way to the border unless your job requires you to have a physical work permit before you start or something.
Hi,

Can you please guide me? Even I need to collect my study permit. Actually I came here as Visitor on Feb 25 and applied for study permit online on March 07 and got it approved on August 05. My 6 months of stay as visitor got over on August 25. My agent misguided me and told that my study permit will be mailed to me but just 2 days before he gave me POE letter. Now, I need to do the flagpoling process. Now I'm really tensed as my 6 months of visitor got over but my study permit was approved before that. Can you please guide me if you're aware as to which bridge will be helpful in my situation - Peace or Rainbow? Is it also issued at Sarnia Blue water bridge ?

Xandra1

Aug 31, 2022
Hi everyone! My wife did the flagpoling for PGWP successfully today at Peace bridge (Fort Erie). This is our story..

First of, we heard that Peace bridge and Rainbow bridge were usually very busy and take up only a few applications, so we considered other options.

We heard about the border in Sarnia which usually isn't that busy and upon calling the CBSA number there, they did say that flagpoling for PGWP is available everyday 24 hours but suggested to come in the morning times. We reached the border at 5 am last thursday with my friend who had a US visa and offered to help my wife cross the border in car. They crossed and came back at the Canadian side within 15-20 minutes. The officer at US border was very friendly and took her passport, study permit and biometrics. After this she got a yellow slip for flagpoling and came to Canadian border. The border official at the Canadian port of entry was not willing to give the permit saying that PGWP is an inland application and follow the online process, so we were heartbroken. She tried reasoning with him about a job offer and an immediate travel we needed as her study permit and TRV were expiring in 20 days. The officer was unwilling and seemed to not know about the process at all, so kept pushing back.

Today we went to Peace Bridge - Fort Erie and reached at about 7.30a.m. The officer at Canadian border instructed her not to come back before 8 a.m. or it won't be counted for flagpoling. She walked towards US side and reached US customs by 7.50a.m. and the officer asked her for the passport, took her photo and gave a flagpoling sheet(white) within a minute. She walked back to Canadian side and reached by 8.10a.m. At the Canadian border, the officer had given preference to pedestrians and she was able to get in fast. The officer took her passport and gave her a yellow flagpoling slip and she entered the CBSA office where her passport and flagpoling slip(white and yellow) were collected. She was surprised to see about 15 people before her inside the office even at 8.15 am when the flagpoling only opens at 8 am. There were also people for other landing procedures and only two officers were handling PGWP applications. After a long wait, by 10.45am, the officer inside called my wife's name and asked for her study permit, course completion certificate, transcript and asked to wait. Official sealed transcript is preferred but some people with a printed copy were asked by the officer to show the online copy in college portal or so. Luckily, she too had only the printed copy but the officer was okay with that. After that he asked her to pay the fees of 255 CAD and whether she has a valid medical and proof of that. After that within minutes, she got her work permit in hand and was out by 11 a.m.

Thank you all for sharing your previous experiences which inspired us to go for it and thank God everything worked out well. Wishing you all success and hope our experience helps any of you!
Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. Do we need medicals now for the post graduation work permit?

Xandra1

Aug 31, 2022

Also, please is the money paid in cash or card?