+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submitting Paper Application After Online Submission

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Having noticed the processing time difference between paper applications and online applications ( Jan-21 Online Applicants beginning to receive AORs just now ), does it make sense to submit a paper version of the application, given I already have all the documentation? Is there anyone who has done the same? And is there a possibility this might result in any concerns by IRCC?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Having noticed the processing time difference between paper applications and online applications ( Jan-21 Online Applicants beginning to receive AORs just now ), does it make sense to submit a paper version of the application, given I already have all the documentation? Is there anyone who has done the same? And is there a possibility this might result in any concerns by IRCC?
And why would you do that? If you submit 2 applications of the same kind, then it might cause further delays because IRCC has to contact you and ask which application you want to proceed with. Also, what are you going to do about the fees.

My recommendation is to stay put. If you want to submit a new application, then withdraw the old one.

I see no point in submitting 2 applications for citizenship, doesn't make much sense.

Give this a read...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-multiple-applications.html

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
And why would you do that? If you submit 2 applications of the same kind, then it might cause further delays because IRCC has to contact you and ask which application you want to proceed with. Also, what are you going to do about the fees.

My recommendation is to stay put. If you want to submit a new application, then withdraw the old one.

I see no point in submitting 2 applications for citizenship, doesn't make much sense.

Give this a read...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-multiple-applications.html
Thanks for the link. I had read this before posting my question - which was actually based on two points mentioned in the same link you provided here.

1. Unless a client specifically requests CIC to process two or more applications at the same time, all applications will be held by CIC until processing on the initial application is completed.

2. If the applicant is successful on the first application
  • then the first application will be processed to ceremony;
  • and the second application is not processed to completion. The file is retired and the Right of Citizenship Fee is refunded.
To answer your question - I have mentioned in my original post - the processing times are significantly faster on paper vs online applications - and I would rather my application is returned in 2 months vs 6 months if they have to return it for any reason.

If my paper application is considered the first application ( assuming I receive AOR on it prior ), then as they mention - second can be discarded. I am more than happy to withdraw the online application if its longer - just that they don't give me an option to do that till I receive my AOR ( which is probably by end of the year ).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks for the link. I had read this before posting my question - which was actually based on two points mentioned in the same link you provided here.

1. Unless a client specifically requests CIC to process two or more applications at the same time, all applications will be held by CIC until processing on the initial application is completed.

2. If the applicant is successful on the first application
  • then the first application will be processed to ceremony;
  • and the second application is not processed to completion. The file is retired and the Right of Citizenship Fee is refunded.
To answer your question - I have mentioned in my original post - the processing times are significantly faster on paper vs online applications - and I would rather my application is returned in 2 months vs 6 months if they have to return it for any reason.

If my paper application is considered the first application ( assuming I receive AOR on it prior ), then as they mention - second can be discarded. I am more than happy to withdraw the online application if its longer - just that they don't give me an option to do that till I receive my AOR ( which is probably by end of the year ).
1. Re-read the instructions, as your first application was not paper based, then it will be processed first to completion.

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Hi

1. Re-read the instructions, as your first application was not paper based, then it will be processed first to completion.
Isn't the first application the one which receives AOR first? App received really doesn't count for much till we receive AOR, no?