+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying with PGWP visa.

mhankuki

Jan 29, 2012
Hi.

Everyone.

I hold a PGWP visa vaild until 2014 NOV, and study permit too(until 2010 OCT).

I knew that I am not allowed to take any academic course at any institution.

Otherwise, when I took a look my visa condition, there is saying that "unless authorized, must not to attend any educational institution or take any academic, professional or vocational training course."

unless authorized means, there would be possibility in some conditions.

So, I think I can write a letter to get an extension of my study permit to pursuing my B.A.

Does any one try to do this, or hear about the the same situation with me?

I found some questions here, but no answers regarding for those questions.

As long as many of international students get PGWP, this situation would be happening often.

Thank you for reading this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mhankuki said:
Hi.

Everyone.

I hold a PGWP visa vaild until 2014 NOV, and study permit too(until 2010 OCT).

I knew that I am not allowed to take any academic course at any institution.

Otherwise, when I took a look my visa condition, there is saying that "unless authorized, must not to attend any educational institution or take any academic, professional or vocational training course."

unless authorized means, there would be possibility in some conditions.

So, I think I can write a letter to get an extension of my study permit to pursuing my B.A.

Does any one try to do this, or hear about the the same situation with me?

I found some questions here, but no answers regarding for those questions.

As long as many of international students get PGWP, this situation would be happening often.

Thank you for reading this.
You have a choice, you can either study or work, you can't do both. If you decide to apply for a new study permit, then your PGWP is invalid, and since you would have already had one PGWP you won't get another.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
DwightKShrute said:
Surely if I applied for a study permit after getting a PGWP I could study? Do you have a link to verify this?
they are mutually exclusive is one or the other so if you applied for another study permit it would likely cancel the current pgwp and pgwp is a one time thing.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
DwightKShrute said:
Where are you getting this info? I've seen posts about PGWP holders being allowed to apply for study permits.
Apply for study permits yes but not hold both fully active at same time is my understanding hence the phrase mutually exclusive.

Just think about it PGWP is an open work permit work as many hours as you like full or part time , study permit allows only part time work during study time so having both at the same time contradict each other.

Happy for someone to correct me if wrong and I did not say cannot apply for a study permit whilst on a PGWP just one probably cancels the other by that I mean once on a study permit only part time work allowed not full time as with PGWP . The exception would be if the course is 6 months or less in which case you do not need a study permit anyway

Even the answer to the original post says exactly the same thing although ultimately this is a forum so only applying will give a current answer despite what anyone says here each application can be treated differently.

As said if I am wrong then happy to be corrected if someone shares a link from CIC guidance.