+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying online (canadian university) without Study Visa. help please!!!

Canaspire777

Sep 25, 2020
My friend is outside canada, couldn't apply back in july-august for study visa due to embassy was closed.

He took permission from a canadian university and paid the tuition fees and started doing online classes without study visa.

Early September he applied and mid September he got results that study visa is rejected. (Was his online classes legal?)

What can be done next? He really wants to continue studying and get a study visa. Do he need a new offer letter for 2nd semester?

Help please!
I don't think it's relevant your friend was studying without a study permit, what is relevant are the reasons for refusal of the permit. GCMS notes will enlighten him more.
My friend is outside canada, couldn't apply back in july-august for study visa due to embassy was closed.

He took permission from a canadian university and paid the tuition fees and started doing online classes without study visa.

Early September he applied and mid September he got results that study visa is rejected. (Was his online classes legal?)

What can be done next? He really wants to continue studying and get a study visa. Do he need a new offer letter for 2nd semester?

Help please!
In the Current Situation Studying online for International students Without AIP or SP is legal while the SP application is in process.
If it was not legal, university wouldn’t allow students to study online without AIP or SP.
Many students are doing it and some of them got AIP later as well.

But getting approval or refusal for SP is a different thing.

In your friend’s case, studying online without AIP or SP was not the reason of refusal.

Your friend should order GCMS notes to find out the actual reason of refusal in the notes.
Address/fix that reason and then reapply if they wish to.

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, studying online without aip will not count towards pgwp...this is from a Uni website....

Can I start courses online without a study permit/visa, if I am outside Canada?

In general, a study permit/visa is not required for online courses.
However, studying without a visa or AIP could affect your future post-graduation work permit, which students apply for after graduation.
Time spent taking online courses without a valid study permit/visa application started/in process or approved, will not be counted towards validity of your PGWP. Therefore, students are advised to start online courses only if they have been approved for stage 1/AIP..

Canaspire777

Sep 25, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, studying online without aip will not count towards pgwp...this is from a Uni website....

Can I start courses online without a study permit/visa, if I am outside Canada?

In general, a study permit/visa is not required for online courses.
However, studying without a visa or AIP could affect your future post-graduation work permit, which students apply for after graduation.
Time spent taking online courses without a valid study permit/visa application started/in process or approved, will not be counted towards validity of your PGWP. Therefore, students are advised to start online courses only if they have been approved for stage 1/AIP..
COPIED FROM CIC’s Official FACEBOOK PAGE

Time spent studying online outside Canada now counts towards the length of a post-graduation work permit starting from when you apply for a study permit. Before, only time spent studying online after being approved for a study permit counted.

Learn more: https://canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#eligibility

Reactions: Khanasma

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020

Time spent studying online outside Canada now counts towards the length of a post-graduation work permit starting from when you apply for a study permit. Before, only time spent studying online after being approved for a study permit counted.

Learn more: https://canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#eligibility
But it seems to only count if the friend of the first post applied for SP before September 15th and the app is still in progress

Khanasma

Sep 20, 2020
Who said s
Not sure why people think they have the right to study without aip or sp, it doesn't matter if the University said. And online study from abroad is only when someone has an aip.
Who said so, IRCC very clearly asked students to study online even without AIP, after all they knew that it's not possible for them to provide AIPs to all within time. So we haven't left with any choices and we have to take risk at the end of the day.

Khanasma

Sep 20, 2020

But later on through tweet they conveyed that time counting will start from the time when you apply for permit not from time when you started your studies.