+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying 2 different programs (1 year each) - will my education qualify for CEC?

miller31

Jul 26, 2009
I am planning to study the Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Computer Science at SFU which will last for 1 year. After which, in order to complete the 2 year study requirement for CEC, I plan to take an 11 month Certificate in Network Administration and Security Professional Program at BCIT. Both programs are for full time study (8 months + 11 months = 19 months total study time).

My first question would be, will I be able to extend my student visa onshore in Canada to allow me to continue studying from SFU to BCIT?

My 2nd question is whether studying these 2 courses will allow me to be eligible to for the CEC pathway to getting Permanent Residency in terms of Canadian Education Qualifications achieved from the 2 programs? (I understand that I would still need to apply for temporary residency after studies and work for at least 12 months in a Skill 0/A/B occupation to satisfy all requirements. I am just confused whether I need to study a 2 year program or I can dissect the study time into 2 different subject areas and schools.)

Many thanks for any help on my inquiry.

anim_geek

Aug 15, 2009
Re: Studying 2 different programs (1 year each) - will my education qualify for

Your answer, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp
but i my self am confused. In this it is written

a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or
a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

right, which says no certificate or diploma will do, so what i did was a little search, on the filed which i wana take, what i got was every college is offering either a certificate or a diploma, what should i do.

I was thinking of joining a post grad course in computer animation, at sheridan. Sheridan provides a Ontario College Graduate Certificate for that programe. So i am confused, does that programme will do or not. If i join that programme, will i be able to apply a PR.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
If you plan to take up 1 yr. program and an additional 1 yr. program to fulfill CEC requirement of 2 yrs. study, then certificates and diplomas will not count under this exception (you have to have a Master's degree of 1 yr.).

If you want to qualify with 1 yr. program then you should work for 2 yrs. (qualify as temporary foreign worker in Canada).

anim_geek

Aug 15, 2009

ya i saw that, right now, and had one querry,

it is written 2 years of post secondry education, should it be a same course of 2 years, or 2 courses of 1 year will do ?
as i was intrested in joining sheridan which offers 2 courses of 1 years= 24 months, 16 months of study

mmr

Aug 15, 2009
Hello,

i have completed two year masters program from uottawa and then get admitted to a one year MBA program in Canada which i will complete next semester.i am planning to apply for post graduate work permit. my question is will be i be granted one year work permit since my last program duration is one year or i will be granted two+one total three years of work permit since i completed two masters degree in Canada?

please reeply me. i am really confuse as cic website mention that work permit will be the same as duration of study. but don't say anything if some one do two program.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
anim_geek:

If it is 2 courses of 1 yr. then atleast one of them has to be a Master's degree.

mmr:

If you have not applied for post-graduate work permit then you would be eligible to get a 3 yrs. open work permit. It should not matter on how many programs you do.

mmr

Aug 15, 2009

to accreddy: thanks for the advice and information. i will apply for work permit on next year January.

anim_geek

Aug 15, 2009

oh i c :(, thanks Mr. accreddy, and if want a post study i have to go for continue 2 yr prog, be it a diploma, it wont matter. i am not able to find a proper masters, otherwise would have gone for that only, cause i have bachelor's degree. All the college offer ontario college graduate certificate, which i guess is post diploma of 1 year. No masters :(.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
I think that is what it says on CIC website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/cec/cec-faq11.asp

mmr

Aug 15, 2009

hi,

i have a friend he also completed masters with me at uottawa and now doing graduate diploma in accounting at mcgrill because he want to become cga. will he also qualify for three year work permit? will it be matter for him to get three year work permit because he is doing diploma after masters?

please reply me. thanks.....

xenoboy

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know this is an old topic, but I just want to coment that my college (centennial) told me that is posible to study two diferent post diploma programs, of one year each one and get a 3 years work permit.

And this is the information in the website of CIC:

Example 2: A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit.

This is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194.asp

I think that this is important to know, thats why I decided to coment in this old topic

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

xenoboy said:
I know this is an old topic, but I just want to coment that my college (centennial) told me that is posible to study two diferent post diploma programs, of one year each one and get a 3 years work permit.

And this is the information in the website of CIC:

Example 2: A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit.

This is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194.asp

I think that this is important to know, thats why I decided to coment in this old topic
Read the highlighted text

xenoboy

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

A diploma or certificate are degrees as well