Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
Interesting. I have read on these forums that you can not get a student permit if you are waiting for the final result on an in-country permanent residence application. This actually isn't entirely true.

If you have received Approval in Principle, and also receive an open work permit, you can apply for a student permit from inside of Canada.

This completely changes my way of thinking. I now believe that it is best for my wife to come to Canada and then submit and in-country application.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

I

iarblue

Yes she can come and submitt an inland but needs to be here under status,work,study,.As long as she can get here.So she needs to get an approval from a university or somewhere to get the study permit,or get a job that is on the skilled workers list and get a work visa.
Or come as a visitor,and stay in status.But if your saying your going to start the process first then she is going to apply for a work visa or study permit she can try,but likely will be turned down.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
Actually, she already has a temporary resident visa.

So, I'll bring her to Canada, submit the in-country application for permanent residence and the work permit together. This give her status in principle until the AIP is received. Once she has the AIP she can apply for a student permit in-country. Without the work permit, she would need to exit the country to receive her student permit. By exiting the country to get her student permit, she would forfeit the in-country application for permanent residence. However, with a preexisting work permit she is allowed to receive the student permit without exiting the country, and her permanent residence application is unaffected.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
annabruce

My husband's appliaction is outland. He goes and comes (luckily he does not need visa). We could have been done in 3-4 months time. Unfortunately the delay is only for one reason, which is a police clearance from one country (Iraq). He stayed there for only 7-8 months, as dependent with his parents. This happened 20 y ago when he was only 18.

The reason I am saying that is for you to reconsider your decision. Some visa posts are faster for outlanders than even the time you may spned to get your AIP/first approval as Inlander. Think about it and make your mind.

Good luck

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
Thanks, but what worries me most of all is leaving her in the USA to wait with very vulnerable status. She is there as a student doing her Optional Practical Training ( work after study ). This work isn't guarenteed. If she can't maintain the required hours, she is forced to return to Russia where she is a citizen. If this happens, she can't attend an interview in the USA. This will cause a bunch of delays. We have decided that we'd rather not take this risk. There is lots she can do to prepare her life in Canada while she is waiting for approval. Also, as a musician, so long as she doesn't establish an employee/employer relationship, she is allowed limited work. Gigs. Weddings, Churches etc. She is also allowed to take four to six month courses. She can take French in preparation for her degree in Montreal.