+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study with PGWP for more PR points

nehg

Aug 24, 2020
Hello,

I graduated from 2 yrs (Diploma) course in Dec’19 and applied for PGWP in Apr’20. I would like to study 8 months more and get Adv. Diploma as I realize that three yrs of study gives more points than 2 yrs of study. But, I already applied for PGWP so can I still apply for Study Permit and complete 8 months study more and then work 1 yr (as I still have 2 yrs of PGWP left) then after 2 yrs I would be eligible for PR application.

Q1. ) Can I get study permit without harming my PGWP status.
Q2. ) Will my study count towards PR POINTS as I’m having 8 month gap and was studying with PGWP.
Q3. ) Will there be any problem?

Please help me asap!

Thanks

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. Yes.
2. Yes; however, any work experience gained while a student will not count and you can't extend or renew your PGWP.
3. You need to go through the study permit application process like normal, show proof of funds, etc. You may be refused since it is obvious your intent is to become a PR and not return to your home country.

Reactions: nehg

nehg

Aug 24, 2020
1. Yes.
2. Yes; however, any work experience gained while a student will not count and you can't extend or renew your PGWP.
3. You need to go through the study permit application process like normal, show proof of funds, etc. You may be refused since it is obvious your intent is to become a PR and not return to your home country.
As my PGWP status is still implied so can I cancel my PGWP and continue my study and re-apply for PGWP?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Maybe? You would have to try and combine the lengths of the two programs, otherwise you would be trading a three-year PGWP for an eight-month one.

nehg

Aug 24, 2020
So its 100% guarantee that I can withdraw my PGWP application and then re-apply without any issues. Only, concern would be that IRCC would consider my gap or else they would just give me PGWP according to most recent continues study i.e. 8 month course (As I will have 8 month gap between two courses so they wont add up for my PGWP).

?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
So its 100% guarantee that I can withdraw my PGWP application and then re-apply without any issues. Only, concern would be that IRCC would consider my gap or else they would just give me PGWP according to most recent continues study i.e. 8 month course (As I will have 8 month gap between two courses so they wont add up for my PGWP).

?
You can hold only 1 PGWP ever. So if it is still not issued you are good.

Also, this is why you do your research before taking important decisions.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019

?
You need to complete both programs within two years so an eight month gap will not work and you would only get a shorter PGWP than what you can get now.

nehg

Aug 24, 2020
What option would you prefer on my place and why?

A. ) *Take 3 yrs PGWP (no cancellation) but also get Study Permit for 4 months (4 months permit I currently have) and study for 8 months of my total 3 yr PGWP so I get PR points ~= Bachelor’s degree.

B. ) Cancel my PGWP for now and study for 2 yrs more but taking more advance course like completing 4 yrs Bachelor's (2 yrs Diploma bridging to Degree from clg or uni) and reapply for PGWP after 2 more yrs of study.

C. ) Don’t mess with PGWP thing and change province get PR from Atlantic Immigration Program. Provided I get job in this pandemic situation.

*Current course I completed is https://www.georgiancollege.ca/academics/full-time-programs/computer-programming-co-op-cmpg/ and course I’m planning to pursue is https://www.georgiancollege.ca/academics/full-time-programs/computer-programmer-analyst-co-op-copa/.

Thank you everyone for your guidance!

Madhusha12

Feb 16, 2017
Withdraw your PGWP application immediately before they give you. If they give you then you can not change again. And then apply for study permit again.

nehg

Aug 24, 2020
If I cancel my PGWP I wouldn’t have any legal status in Canada as my Study Permit expired 90 days after Dec’19. So, I am worried that If I cancel my PGWP I will have to have any legal status to remain here and also will I get Study Permit approved as this all is soooo messed up?
Can we stay in Canada on Study Permit applied status!?