+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa

aman.singh98

Aug 18, 2018
Hi, I'm Amanjot Singh. I want to apply for Study visa for Canada. My qualifications are:-
1. 10th C.B.S.E. Board (5.6 CGPA) , year passed 2014
2. Diploma of Mechanical Engineering (66%) 11 Backlogs, year passed-2017
For valid reasons I think I cannot apply under SDS but I want to ask is it fine to apply under general category. Hence not affecting my further future for applying for permanent residency.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi, I'm Amanjot Singh. I want to apply for Study visa for Canada. My qualifications are:-
1. 10th C.B.S.E. Board (5.6 CGPA) , year passed 2014
2. Diploma of Mechanical Engineering (66%) 11 Backlogs, year passed-2017
For valid reasons I think I cannot apply under SDS but I want to ask is it fine to apply under general category. Hence not affecting my further future for applying for permanent residency.
sds and general category are basically the same. the sds is just a streamlined process in visa application. because of the required 1 year tuition and a gic of cad10k, the applicant needs less financial documents to submit.

applying for pr in the future does not depend on sds or general category, mate, so you don’t have to worry about that. as of now, the pr is based on express entry points (i think its in the 440 range at the moment). getting at least a 2year program would qualify you for up to 3 years of pgwp. those adds up to much needed points to boost your chances n getting ita for pr.

best of luck to you!

aman.singh98

Aug 18, 2018
sds and general category are basically the same. the sds is just a streamlined process in visa application. because of the required 1 year tuition and a gic of cad10k, the applicant needs less financial documents to submit.

applying for pr in the future does not depend on sds or general category, mate, so you don’t have to worry about that. as of now, the pr is based on express entry points (i think its in the 440 range at the moment). getting at least a 2year program would qualify you for up to 3 years of pgwp. those adds up to much needed points to boost your chances n getting ita for pr.

best of luck to you!
I really appreciate such a soon response. I have another query regarding backlogs. As if I have 11 backlogs with no extension of time duration in my latest studies. How bad affect it can have on my profile and how to tackle with this?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I really appreciate such a soon response. I have another query regarding backlogs. As if I have 11 backlogs with no extension of time duration in my latest studies. How bad affect it can have on my profile and how to tackle with this?
i have several backlogs myself. and i have more than 20yrs of study gap. not to mention that my previous study was different from what i want to take up in canada. although, that study gap was filled with experience related to my intended program. i got unconditional acceptance at durham college. it’s the sp i’m more concerned right now. i have yet to file for my sp application, just waiting for the gic certificate from scotia bank.

the sp is harder to predict. but for colleges and universities, there’s no harm in trying. based from what i read here in different threads, applicants ussually get loa from colleges and unis. can’t say the same for sp application, though.

but, hey, let us think positive, mate! :)

Reactions: aman.singh98