+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa refusal based on purpose of visit

Shruti_01

Apr 22, 2020
Hi members,

My sister got study visa refusal from India - I am looking for suggestions if we should re-apply or appeal and challenge this decision.
This is what officer mentioned in Refusal letter

“ I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Given your previous education and/or employment history, I am not satisfied that the motivation to pursue this particular program at this point in time in Canada is reasonable. Refused under R216(1)(b).”

Points to notice :-
• Although she is in India, but she has already started her studies from Jan 2021(online).
• Her course is business management and she has done +2 in Commerce and one year of Air hostess program

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shruti

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi members,

My sister got study visa refusal from India - I am looking for suggestions if we should re-apply or appeal and challenge this decision.
This is what officer mentioned in Refusal letter

“ I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Given your previous education and/or employment history, I am not satisfied that the motivation to pursue this particular program at this point in time in Canada is reasonable. Refused under R216(1)(b).”

Points to notice :-
• Although she is in India, but she has already started her studies from Jan 2021(online).
• Her course is business management and she has done +2 in Commerce and one year of Air hostess program

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shruti
There is no appeal process. You can ask for an informal review. I agree that it doesn’t make much sense to do a business management course after having done a commerce course. Can you show that these are different programs and show progression in her education? Is this a diploma in business management of a PGD?

Shruti_01

Apr 22, 2020
It’s 3 years Diploma in Business Management. Commerce is equivalent to secondary education (Grade 12) with Accounts as major.
Her 1st interest was in flight management, but we knew this course would not have career options afterwards. So, next best interest was to go with Business management.
It would be a progression for her career as she only has Grade 12 so far.

Reactions: Hudzon

Hudzon

Jan 4, 2021
It’s 3 years Diploma in Business Management. Commerce is equivalent to secondary education (Grade 12) with Accounts as major.
Her 1st interest was in flight management, but we knew this course would not have career options afterwards. So, next best interest was to go with Business management.
It would be a progression for her career as she only has Grade 12 so far.
You can order gcms notes, if you want to know the exact reason for refusal. Will take min 30 days to receive. Can you share the time line, dates applied, Medicals, Biometrics, eligibility review etc. And which intake?

Shruti_01

Apr 22, 2020
Sure -
Application Applied : November 28,2020
Biometrics : Already valid ( she had done that earlier)
Medical : 10 March, 2021
Review : 11 March, 2021
It's for Jan 2021 intake (she's attending online classes and almost done with 1st sem)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Why did she start her studies wIthout an approved study permit? Her program is a college diploma in business and would not give her any career progression. If she was considering a 3 year program, she should have applied to universities for a business degree instead.

Reactions: usman_1986

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
High school graduates or along with short term course completers are not considered as bonafide candidates for foreign studies by the VO and a lot of them are statistically refused.

Similar cases scrutinised :
i.e Applying for bachelors degree with a long gap after highschool.
i.e Candidate going for diploma courses after a long gap at a very late point of their life (30+) failing to show progression or any prospect.

Last edited: