+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa/Permit extension

AfzalivE

May 1, 2010
Hello,

My study visa and study permit are expiring on 17th August and I want to go back to my country during the summer (right now my plane ticket is confirmed for May 15th).

I have some questions:

1. Should I apply for renewal of both in Canada? I have gathered that first I need to apply for the renewal of Study Permit and then apply for the renewal of TRV from Buffalo, problem is...this will probably take up all of the summer.

2. Can I apply from my country (Pakistan)? The International Students office of McMaster told me that they will renew both the Visa and Permit at once.

3. Can I come back to Canada on August 10th (or so) and apply for renewal of Permit then and later apply for the renewal of Visa?

What happens if I apply for permit on say August 14th and my Visa expires on 17th, will the "Implied Status" still apply and will I be able to stay and study in Canada still?

Thank you

AfzalivE

May 1, 2010
please help...?

also, I saw that Permit renewal should be applied for 30 days before expiry, so is it possible that I depart from Canada mid-May and come back on something like July 10th and apply then?

samahmedpk2000

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
u shud apply first for study permit. SUppose u applied 2day for study permit and your permit will expire tomorrow, still they will consider your application. But in case u went to pak ...i dont know how it works...

AfzalivE

May 1, 2010
Thank you for the replies.

As I got informed by some of my friends and family, actually Pakistan Immigration tries to make an issue out of this if the permit expires in a month, dunno why...maybe to get some under the table money.

therefore I have applied already, hope to get it soon

I really appreciate the help