+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa or Express Entry

Mands

Aug 17, 2015
Hi Guys,

I wish to immigrate to Canada, with that aim i have two paths that i am confused about. Either to the study visa way or apply for Express Entry. I am 33 years old, an IT consultant with over 10 years of experience. Would really appreciate your help.

Cheers!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You need to share more information for any sensible feedback such as education level, IELTS language outlook, NOC category which needs to be 0/A or B for a skilled application and so on.

Applying for a study permit is no guarantee at all of obtaining PR and is a big investment as an international student (approx 25-30k CDN per year including fees/living) plus is a long term plan say 2 years studying plus a 3 year post grad work permit where you could in theory build Canadian work experience towards a PR application in the right skilled job.

Have you totalled your points for EE to see if you get anywhere near as a minimum 450 although current selections are around 480 plus so higher the better.

There are a few options/alternative programs available although trying to apply for jobs or a sponsor from outside Canada has a remote chance of success as employers prefer people already authorised to work, not always but generally.

Expect you already read through here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

Also see here to map your job description/responsibilities to a NOC for a skilled worker application http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp

I am sure other forum members will chip in to the discussion

Twhy

Oct 29, 2016
I got admission into one of the Universities in Canada for Fall Next year. My Aunt who resides in the US has agreed to be my sponsor. I will be travelling to see her by next week for one month. Can i apply for my study permit during my visit ( with my bi/b2 visa) from the U

Mands

Aug 17, 2015
Bs65 said:
You need to share more information for any sensible feedback such as education level, IELTS language outlook, NOC category which needs to be 0/A or B for a skilled application and so on.

Applying for a study permit is no guarantee at all of obtaining PR and is a big investment as an international student (approx 25-30k CDN per year including fees/living) plus is a long term plan say 2 years studying plus a 3 year post grad work permit where you could in theory build Canadian work experience towards a PR application in the right skilled job.

Have you totalled your points for EE to see if you get anywhere near as a minimum 450 although current selections are around 480 plus so higher the better.

There are a few options/alternative programs available although trying to apply for jobs or a sponsor from outside Canada has a remote chance of success as employers prefer people already authorised to work, not always but generally.

Expect you already read through here
Also see here to map your job description/responsibilities to a NOC for a skilled worker application

I am sure other forum members will chip in to the discussion
Hi Bs65,

Thank you so much for the reply, my apologies for not providing the details. my IELTS over all score is 7 and i have gone through the eligibility tool, which says i am available for express entry. My NOC that best describes me is 2175 Web designers and developers "A" level & 5241 graphic designers & illustrators "B" level.

After thinking and reading your reply i feel that EE would be ideal for me. Can you please share what are the other ways "There are a few options/alternative programs available although trying to apply for jobs or a sponsor from outside Canada has a remote chance of success as employers prefer people already authorised to work, not always but generally."

As i am planning to apply myself i'll be relying on all information and guidance online.

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks!