+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa or Express Entry?? What should we choose?

Smriti Kumar

Sep 11, 2020
Hi Everyone.. We are completely confused and therefore asking for help from you.

My husband (39) and I (37) am interested in moving to Canada. We have 2 dependent children, 5 and 3 years old.
We are both architects.

He, has his own architectural firm, proper employment records, tax papers, everything. He has done his Masters from UK. However, his English is a slight deterrent to his being the main applicant for an Express Entry Profile. Also his age is 39 and so we don't score there either.

I, on the other hand am good at English (11,11,12, 10 Celpip) but was teaching for the last 8 years and am currently pursuing a second masters course from India itself. I have done my first masters from UK. My ongoing degree, is not WES evaluated but the previous one has been done.
My employment, therefore is a bit of a hurdle as far as skills shortage is concerned. However, if I am the main applicant for Express Entry, we score 432, which is still a bad score.

We either need a PNP or as someone suggested, we should go for the study route, where my husband goes in for PG. But considering his age and the gap between now and his last degree, we feel that there is a strong chance that he will not get a study visa.

Can someone please suggest what could be our best bet?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I would say there is essentially no possibility for either of you to be approved for a study permit for a post-graduate diploma program since you already both have master's degrees. One of you would need to go for a PhD.

Smriti Kumar

Sep 11, 2020
I would say there is essentially no possibility for either of you to be approved for a study permit for a post-graduate diploma program since you already both have master's degrees. One of you would need to go for a PhD.
PhD would be long and expensive. Also the Master's degree we were planning would be in a subject like Project Management which is on Skills Shortage list. Since my husband's first master's was in Interior Design, this would definitely be a change into a parallel line.
Also, is it necessary that we show his first master's at all?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You need to give your complete personal history in the application. As for skills shortage, the whole point is that going for a post-graduate diploma at your age, when you already have a master's, clearly shows that your goal is PR and not education. They will know you are only looking to study because your points are not high enough for Express Entry due to age. You are of course free to apply for whatever course you want, but I am telling you if you don't go for a PhD, the study permit route is not realistic.

Reactions: Smriti Kumar

Smriti Kumar

Sep 11, 2020
You need to give your complete personal history in the application. As for skills shortage, the whole point is that going for a post-graduate diploma at your age, when you already have a master's, clearly shows that your goal is PR and not education. They will know you are only looking to study because your points are not high enough for Express Entry due to age. You are of course free to apply for whatever course you want, but I am telling you if you don't go for a PhD, the study permit route is not realistic.
Thanks for the suggestion.
So then the next option for us is to go for a pnp. Are there any chances of getting one for architects?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the suggestion.
So then the next option for us is to go for a pnp. Are there any chances of getting one for architects?
It's possible there may be. You're going to have to do the leg-work of researching each PNP program to see if they have an in-demand list and which occupations are on it. I would also recommend that you dedicate time to reading through the historical posts in the PNP section of the forum.