+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa for certificate course but already have a bachelor's degree

ShireenV

Nov 11, 2019
Hello
I had applied to Niagara College for a year long certificate course in baking and pastry arts and received an offer letter for the same but I'm not sure if I'll get a visa or not because I have already done a bachelor's in arts from India where I reside.
I applied last year for a visa for the same course in George Brown college but it got rejected with the reason that I might not leave the country after the completion of the course.
I applied for the officer's notes which said that because I already have a bachelor's degree considering my academic and work background doing this course seemed odd (though I had mentioned in my SoP that I've been baking for over a decade and want to make a career in it). The notes also said that my study plan seemed general and the officer couldn't understand how doing this course will help me (I had mentioned my plans of opening a bakery back home in India).
I'm not sure if I should apply for a visa again or not as my academic and work background remains the same but I can provide a detailed financial statement from a chartered accountant and a document that says that I've applied to get a home bakery licence but haven't received it yet (though without any proper stamp by the authorities, just a copy of the form I submitted online to the government body). Also considering the corona situation I'm not sure if applying again will give me a positive result.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

D_D

Jun 8, 2020
Hello
I had applied to Niagara College for a year long certificate course in baking and pastry arts and received an offer letter for the same but I'm not sure if I'll get a visa or not because I have already done a bachelor's in arts from India where I reside.
I applied last year for a visa for the same course in George Brown college but it got rejected with the reason that I might not leave the country after the completion of the course.
I applied for the officer's notes which said that because I already have a bachelor's degree considering my academic and work background doing this course seemed odd (though I had mentioned in my SoP that I've been baking for over a decade and want to make a career in it). The notes also said that my study plan seemed general and the officer couldn't understand how doing this course will help me (I had mentioned my plans of opening a bakery back home in India).
I'm not sure if I should apply for a visa again or not as my academic and work background remains the same but I can provide a detailed financial statement from a chartered accountant and a document that says that I've applied to get a home bakery licence but haven't received it yet (though without any proper stamp by the authorities, just a copy of the form I submitted online to the government body). Also considering the corona situation I'm not sure if applying again will give me a positive result.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you
Hi from experience I will suggest you that you don’t apply for the second time for the same type of course…(doesn’t matter if you are providing home ties or financials, the problem in your case was simply not a progression of studies) therefore, I will sincerely advise you to not go for it, instead if you really wish to go to Canada, then find a more suitable post graduate course related to your previous academic qualifications, then also fill the gap with some relevant information, internship or work then complete that post graduate level program for one year then for the second year you can opt for a course in culinary arts (as at that time you will be having an already valid study permit and you will simply require to file for an extension… & additionally if you manage to secure a post graduate level of course in culinary as your 2nd course, then you might also be eligible for 3 years of Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada… during which time you can work in your choice of field which in your case can be Baking, etc whatever you like)
But I will repeat myself again… don’t apply again for the same course DON’T !!!

D_D

Jun 8, 2020
Hi from experience I will suggest you that you don’t apply for the second time for the same type of course…(doesn’t matter if you are providing home ties or financials, the problem in your case was simply not a progression of studies) therefore, I will sincerely advise you to not go for it, instead if you really wish to go to Canada, then find a more suitable post graduate course related to your previous academic qualifications, then also fill the gap with some relevant information, internship or work then complete that post graduate level program for one year then for the second year you can opt for a course in culinary arts (as at that time you will be having an already valid study permit and you will simply require to file for an extension… & additionally if you manage to secure a post graduate level of course in culinary as your 2nd course, then you might also be eligible for 3 years of Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada… during which time you can work in your choice of field which in your case can be Baking, etc whatever you like)
But I will repeat myself again… don’t apply again for the same course DON’T !!!
I missed a point… while filling the gap you will also have to make a solid Letter Of Explanation, elucidating why you are changing the course from culinary … maybe tell them that it is your passion which you keep on learning and experimenting by yourself and from Internet, but in terms of a professional career you don’t see yourself in the field of culinary arts … instead you are applying for that particular course (in which you have secured admission related to your past education and some job or internship to fill gap, everything should be in symmetry)
Just an idea to make you understand the situation in a better way

hope it helps

ShireenV

Nov 11, 2019
I missed a point… while filling the gap you will also have to make a solid Letter Of Explanation, elucidating why you are changing the course from culinary … maybe tell them that it is your passion which you keep on learning and experimenting by yourself and from Internet, but in terms of a professional career you don’t see yourself in the field of culinary arts … instead you are applying for that particular course (in which you have secured admission related to your past education and some job or internship to fill gap, everything should be in symmetry)
Just an idea to make you understand the situation in a better way

hope it helps
Yes I understand, thank you so much. Even I was thinking that applying for a culinary course again won't help, now I'm even more sure.

Reactions: D_D

sanyinmon

Star Member
Oct 30, 2016
Hello, Shireen V,
Did you get your study permit? I am on the same boat going to apply for study visa of culinary arts from vcc. Do you think I can get rejection?
Thanks

ShireenV

Nov 11, 2019
Hello, Shireen V,
Did you get your study permit? I am on the same boat going to apply for study visa of culinary arts from vcc. Do you think I can get rejection?
Thanks
Hey, I decided not to apply again but hoping for the best for you!