+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa Denied - No evidence of lawful admission

sfcoxinhe

Aug 28, 2016
My study visa just got rejected and I was hoping for a suggestion on how to act next.

Here's my situation:
I came to Canada in February on a visitor visa to visit my partner.

In May, I decided I'd apply for a postgrad course. I applied, got accepted and received a partial scholarship.
I started my study permit application as soon as I could. I applied through the Los Angeles office via mail.

Today, five weeks later, I received a reply. It had been rejected for the following reason: "You failed to provide satisfactory documentary evidence of lawful admission and valid temporary resident status in Canada or in the USA; and are therefore not eligible to apply for study permit at this office."

I sent a copy of my visa (both American and Canadian), but I could not provide proof of entrance since the Canadian Border Agent didn't stamp my passport. I, stupidly, assumed that if they didn't stamp it it meant that they had it in their data base and they could check (since the passport was scanned). I don't have anything that proves that I entered this country legally (I have boarding pass and that's all). I have requested the Travel History but because of the high demand for these (probably because they don't always stamp anymore) it will take another 4 to 6 weeks. I didn't even know this document existed until today. In my opinion, it's not my fault my passport wasn't stamped. Is there a way I can get an appeal on this? Or should I reapply? What documents could work since my Travel History will come in too late.

Oh, and my status here expires in August (the six month limit). I have very little time to figure this out.