+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Plan / SOP / Statement of Purpose, is it compulsory ????

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
Is it important to write a Study Plan / SOP / Statement of Purpose? because if you check the Visa Application Center VAC london website, they don't require it, not mentioned in their checklist or anywhere?

Has anyone submitted their application without it?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
It is always good to submit it because it explains the reason why you are going to Canada and also that you would come back to your country after finishing your studies. So yes its very important that you write it.

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for replying... I am not saying that you may not be right, but just have a question here..

Why submit something when they haven't asked for,,, and which (i think) will make your application complicated? So why not just submit the things they ask for...

One thing more, if you write SOP, they will judge you from the reasons ( and everything) you wrote in SOP... and in the other case they will look at your application and only look if you have fullfilled the requirements, and in this case i think better chance to get a positive response...

This is what i think.... want to know your comment on this? thanks

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Sahil Khan said:
Thanks for replying... I am not saying that you may not be right, but just have a question here..

Why submit something when they haven't asked for,,, and which (i think) will make your application complicated? So why not just submit the things they ask for...

One thing more, if you write SOP, they will judge you from the reasons ( and everything) you wrote in SOP... and in the other case they will look at your application and only look if you have fullfilled the requirements, and in this case i think better chance to get a positive response...

This is what i think.... want to know your comment on this? thanks
this is right if u have no problems with ur profile, strong home ties and u have strong financial profile too. When u submit just the list means ur asking them to judge u based on just the documents u submitted which may not be the case and u have better reason of studying in canada. SOP or what ever u call it ties all the documents together and can explain ur side of the story and how they shouldn't misinterpret ur documents or lack thereof.

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
I have got my father's bank statement, which will be sufficient to cover my tuition fees, accommodation and living costs etc.

An offer from George brown college for post graduate certificate,,, recently i have graduated, got my university degree..

I don't have any other document to prove ties with my home country apart from my family back home and my father's bank statement from same country,,, i don't have any other document because i believed that they don't require it based on what i have read in VAC london and CIC websites.

Do you think i have to provide others documents too which should show my ties with home country,,, because again as i said it is NOT in their documents requirements list or check list???

Your reply will be appreciated!!!

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
mead said:
this is right if u have no problems with ur profile, strong home ties and u have strong financial profile too. When u submit just the list means ur asking them to judge u based on just the documents u submitted which may not be the case and u have better reason of studying in canada. SOP or what ever u call it ties all the documents together and can explain ur side of the story and how they shouldn't misinterpret ur documents or lack thereof.
I have got my father's bank statement, which will be sufficient to cover my tuition fees, accommodation and living costs etc.

An offer from George brown college for post graduate certificate,,, recently i have graduated, got my university degree..

I don't have any other document to prove ties with my home country apart from my family back home and my father's bank statement from same country,,, i don't have any other document because i believed that they don't require it based on what i have read in VAC london and CIC websites.

Do you think i have to provide others documents too which should show my ties with home country,,, because again as i said it is NOT in their documents requirements list or check list???

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Sahil Khan said:

I am not sure which list ur looking at but according to UK CIC u have to add study plan.
source: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/assets/pdfs/forms-formulaires/e_schecklist.pdf

also be careful of

"What is acceptable evidence of funds in support of my study permit application?

Proof of funds can be in the form of your bank statements or your parents’ bank statements accompanied by a letter from your parent(s) confirming that they will be financially responsible for you. All funds must be in an account in Canada or in the country of your current residence. Funds located in off-shore accounts are not acceptable as proof of funds. General letters of reference from banks are not sufficient. For more details, refer to the CIC page on Proof of Financial Support. "
source: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/faq.aspx

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
I am looking at the VAC london website, it provides the checklist and forms required to be submitted with the application. You will see it doesn't ask about SOP or proof to show ties with home country.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
mead said:
I am not sure which list ur looking at but according to UK CIC u have to add study plan.
source: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/assets/pdfs/forms-formulaires/e_schecklist.pdf

also be careful of

"What is acceptable evidence of funds in support of my study permit application?

Proof of funds can be in the form of your bank statements or your parents' bank statements accompanied by a letter from your parent(s) confirming that they will be financially responsible for you. All funds must be in an account in Canada or in the country of your current residence. Funds located in off-shore accounts are not acceptable as proof of funds. General letters of reference from banks are not sufficient. For more details, refer to the CIC page on Proof of Financial Support. "
source: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/faq.aspx

I am looking at the VAC london website, it provides the checklist and forms required to be submitted with the application. You will see it doesn't ask about SOP or proof to show ties with home country.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Sahil Khan said:

thats a general list and u have to look at the visa office where u r going to apply. different countries have different requirements. U have to look at UK office

"Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office"

Sahil Khan

Sep 15, 2013
mead said:
thats a general list and u have to look at the visa office where u r going to apply. different countries have different requirements. U have to look at UK office

"Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office"

I got this list linked from the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in London's website. I will be applying through the VAC, not through the visa office (which is the embassy)..
To see the documents required for study permit in the VAC website,,, they give you this check list which I have sent you...

So now I am confused because mostly I see people submitting SOP with their application while this website doesn't ask for...
And I am surprised that in the VAC website they don't even ask for to proof ties with home country. ?? ??
??? ??? ???

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Sahil Khan said:
I got this list linked from the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in London's website. I will be applying through the VAC, not through the visa office (which is the embassy)..
To see the documents required for study permit in the VAC website,,, they give you this check list which I have sent you...

So now I am confused because mostly I see people submitting SOP with their application while this website doesn't ask for...
And I am surprised that in the VAC website they don't even ask for to proof ties with home country. ?? ??
??? ??? ???
ultimately ur application will go to visa office london whether u apply through VAC or online or directly ....
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/london.asp

sammytwig1234

Sep 1, 2013
I am M.Sc (16 years of education). Please clarify me At which level my education stands for Canada? Is 16 year education equivalent to their Graduation or equivalent to their masters? I haven't seen any option like MPhil/MS on the various universities.

Thanks

RAJA304

Jul 28, 2013
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sahil Khan said:
Is it important to write a Study Plan / SOP / Statement of Purpose? because if you check the Visa Application Center VAC london website, they don't require it, not mentioned in their checklist or anywhere?

Has anyone submitted their application without it?
Don't write it if u applying under SPP..

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
RAJA304 said:
Don't write it if u applying under SPP..
why not? it shouldn't hurt ur application . I guess ur from india then none of the check lists ask for SOP but we still add them to improve our odds.

I am M.Sc (16 years of education). Please clarify me At which level my education stands for Canada? Is 16 year education equivalent to their Graduation or equivalent to their masters? I haven't seen any option like MPhil/MS on the various universities.

Thanks
i believe Bachelors