+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDY PERMIT WITHIN CANADA

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

I just got accepted into a program starting fall. Im currently on work permit, which is expiring on mid august. I also have my application in for EE. I wanted to know what the processing times are like when applying within canada? On the website it says 77 days! I don't know how accurate that is.

Id appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2015
hi, i am from Nepal and i am 27 years old. i want to study in Canada for bachelor course. But there is a 6 year study gap between 10th class and diploma. Is there is any problem in my study gap or my age for study in Canada.

ganglix

Nov 19, 2013
1. short answer: you do not want to count on that 77 days information when making your plan.

2. long answer: 77 days, it is an accurate number, but it means the time it took to process 80% applications dated from (dd/mm/yy stated in the next column of that table), technically it does not give you estimation of processing time starting today or in the future, especially when processing time is long (77 is rather a long time). But I can see a trend that the processing time has decreased recently; if I make an presumable extrapolation of this trend I would expect shorter processing time for recent applications. After all, these immigration officers probably has had enough vacation and they would be ready to get back on the horse.

3. Good luck :)

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
questionsasked said:
Hi,

I just got accepted into a program starting fall. Im currently on work permit, which is expiring on mid august. I also have my application in for EE. I wanted to know what the processing times are like when applying within canada? On the website it says 77 days! I don't know how accurate that is.

Id appreciate any help!

Thanks.
are you switching from an open or closed work permit to a study permit?

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
I'm switching from post grad work permit to study permit. Also, if there's a chance that my study permit comes after my classes start, what happens?

The university has given me the option of deferring one semester if it happens. However, how do I let CIC know? And what status would I be holding while waiting to go back to university in January?

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Anyoneee? I'm going to be calling CIC tomorrow, but if anyone has been through similar situation or knows what happens in such cases, I'd really appreciate some feedback!

Thanks so much in advance

anusreesub

May 6, 2015
hi questionsasked, i am also transferring form worker status to student, waiting for SP. Please share with us the info you get from CIC.
thanks

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
anusreesub said:
hi questionsasked, i am also transferring form worker status to student, waiting for SP. Please share with us the info you get from CIC.
thanks
Sure! I applied yesterday. When did you apply?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
questionsasked said:
I'm switching from post grad work permit to study permit. Also, if there's a chance that my study permit comes after my classes start, what happens?

The university has given me the option of deferring one semester if it happens. However, how do I let CIC know? And what status would I be holding while waiting to go back to university in January?
You can't start your studies until you have a valid study permit. If you have to defer by one semester, then you would have to apply to change your status to visitor (and obviously stop working) in order to remain in Canada until school starts.

optimist28

Jul 8, 2015
I am in the similar situation. I applied for study permit on June 8th, 2015 and my class starts on September 8th, 2015. Basically, When your post grad work permit expires, you go on implied status for 90 days until you receive you new study permit. Most schools have something as DNE (did not enter) deadlines, which is usually in mid September and you are responsible to provide your study permit to school by this date.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
optimist28 said:
I am in the similar situation. I applied for study permit on June 8th, 2015 and my class starts on September 8th, 2015. Basically, When your post grad work permit expires, you go on implied status for 90 days until you receive you new study permit.
Nope - not correct. You're mixing up different rules.

When your PGWP expires you are out of status in Canada and then have 90 days to apply to restore your status. This is absolutely NOT the same thing as implied status. When you have implied status your status in Canada is still valid. If you let a permit expire - you are out of status in Canada and have 90 days to apply to restore your status.