+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit with hiv positive

daniel84

Nov 1, 2018
Hello,
please i need advise, i applied for study permit and i got accepted, and am going to montreal in January 2019, but the problem am hiv positive undetactable .. and i only take one pill perday.. and i do blood test once per year.. my question is.. how to choose my insurance plan? and are they gonna cover my blood test or medication.. and if not.. is there any association that help the positive foreign students?

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
Hello Daniel.

You have applied for study permit and it has been sanctioned?
I am from India and I am really worried. I am hiv positive too and I am highly uncertain about the sanctioning of study permit.
Can you please tell me how you were able to get study permit? Did you have to show funds to cover the cost of HIV to the embassy?
Or it was never asked?
The excessive demand clause has been increased to thrice the value as before and the first line ARV for HIV treatment should fall below that.
I am with undetectable viral load and CD4 780.
Please let me know. This will really help me for my case. Thanks.

Reactions: Lucky_59 and Asmii

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Daniel.

I am from India and I am really worried. I am hiv positive too and I am highly uncertain about the sanctioning of study permit.
Can you please tell me how you were able to get study permit? Did you have to show funds to cover the cost of HIV to the embassy?
Or it was never asked?
The excessive demand clause has been increased to thrice the value as before and the first line ARV for HIV treatment should fall below that.
The medical threshold for students is different. Have you declared your HIV status during your medical? It will depend on the province. Some provinces cover students under the provincial plan where as other provinces have an international student medical insurance plan. You would have to determine whether it provides you with enough coverage. Some provinces will refuse your admission because of the cost. You are only allowed to bring a 90 day supply of medication with you when you arrive in Canada.

Reactions: gipps

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
The medical threshold for students is different. Have you declared your HIV status during your medical? It will depend on the province. Some provinces cover students under the provincial plan where as other provinces have an international student medical insurance plan. You would have to determine whether it provides you with enough coverage. Some provinces will refuse your admission because of the cost. You are only allowed to bring a 90 day supply of medication with you when you arrive in Canada.
Yes. I declared my HIV status during medicals and I had shown my reports and medicine to doctor. Doctor asked for few more tests after that.
So i have offers from university in Quebec and a University in British Columbia. I am applying for visa in Quebec. The medical insurance they provide covers CAD7500 for prescription drugs for a Pre Existing Condition and then CAD20000 in the next year.

rr185133

Feb 1, 2016
Yes. I declared my HIV status during medicals and I had shown my reports and medicine to doctor. Doctor asked for few more tests after that.
So i have offers from university in Quebec and a University in British Columbia. I am applying for visa in Quebec. The medical insurance they provide covers CAD7500 for prescription drugs for a Pre Existing Condition and then CAD20000 in the next year.

Hi how was your application so far? I'm planning to apply as a a student as well in Quebec. I have not yet started. My CD4 is 500+ and i am undetectable as well. I'm currently taking Efavirenz / Lamivudine / Tenofovir.

rr185133

Feb 1, 2016
What's the threshold for students?

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
Hi how was your application so far? I'm planning to apply as a a student as well in Quebec. I have not yet started. My CD4 is 500+ and i am undetectable as well. I'm currently taking Efavirenz / Lamivudine / Tenofovir.
I am still under the process. My advice to you would be to apply for Visa 4-5 months in advance of your course start date.
I have been informed by embassy doctor that the embassy would expect me to cover the ART medicine costs by myself. I checked online and I have been told that the students must have a private insurance while staying in Canada. The private insurance partially covers the cost of HIV medicines.
I got in touch with few NGOs in Quebec and they informed me that international students are taking free medicines from them without any trouble.
Even I am on TLE.
I am waiting for somethings to work out.
Will get to know about everything after 3rd of September. Will update my whole case, whatever it would be. I am hopeful and I hope to my Visa soon.

When are you planning to go for studies?

rr185133

Feb 1, 2016
I am still under the process. My advice to you would be to apply for Visa 4-5 months in advance of your course start date.
I have been informed by embassy doctor that the embassy would expect me to cover the ART medicine costs by myself. I checked online and I have been told that the students must have a private insurance while staying in Canada. The private insurance partially covers the cost of HIV medicines.
I got in touch with few NGOs in Quebec and they informed me that international students are taking free medicines from them without any trouble.
Even I am on TLE.
Will get to know about everything after 3rd of September. Will update my whole case, whatever it would be. I am hopeful and I hope to my Visa soon.

I just recently asked Fortrust Education here in the Philippines, i think they're an agency specializing in student visa. I have not visited their office personally yet. But I'm planning somewhere in Montreal or anywhere in Quebec as long as I can afford it. Do you have any suggestions? I do hope I can start the earliest possible time next year.. What's your course by the way?

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
I just recently asked Fortrust Education here in the Philippines, i think they're an agency specializing in student visa. I have not visited their office personally yet. But I'm planning somewhere in Montreal or anywhere in Quebec as long as I can afford it. Do you have any suggestions? I do hope I can start the earliest possible time next year.. What's your course by the way?
My course is M.Eng. Aerospace Engineering in Concordia Uni. But Now I am planning to go for M.Eng. in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at UBC. I have received an admit in UBC too.

marcfill

Dec 3, 2019
Hello Daniel.

Or it was never asked?

Hi,
I am from Brazil and I am going to study in Montreal next year, and Because of that I was looking for some information about the hiv medication availability.
I am elso hiv positive with undetectable viral load and cd4 800.
During the visa process iN the medical exames I just needed to prove that I was in treatment and undetectable. After the doctor sending my exames, the Canadian consulate asked for others exames, mainly related to hepatitis.
About founds, they just asked me to present enough money to pay my studies and to live there (about CAD$ 11.000). Nothing more about the medicine, treatment, etc.
So I think There is no problem for you to get your permit study if you are in the same condition! :)
Good luck!!!

Reactions: Lucky_59

fredochub

Jun 20, 2020
hello to everyone i am planning to study in canada i am a fresh graduate here in philippines i am a hiv positive since 2015 how many chance that i am accepted in canada and give me a visa? and what need to do or requirements is there additional requirements for us?

fredochub

Jun 20, 2020
Even I am on TLE.

hello can you tell me about the process and did the canada give you canada visa or not?

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
hello can you tell me about the process and did the canada give you canada visa or not?
Hello fredo. I got my visa, although it was delayed bcz they had a doubt that I had TB. I got my passport with Visa on 22nd September 2019.
They first check your HIV status. Then they ask for another test- your CD4 and Viral Load. My viral load was undetectable and the CD4 count was 720 which is good. They also did my TB blood test which is Gamma Inteferon i guess. If your viral load and CD4 count is good. You would not have any problem with Visa. They did not ask for any private insurance. In my statement of purpose to the embassy during the Visa application, I had informed them that the university is providing with the insurance and that it covers the medicines.

fredochub

Jun 20, 2020
Hello fredo. I got my visa, although it was delayed bcz they had a doubt that I had TB. I got my passport with Visa on 22nd September 2019.
They first check your HIV status. Then they ask for another test- your CD4 and Viral Load. My viral load was undetectable and the CD4 count was 720 which is good. They also did my TB blood test which is Gamma Inteferon i guess. If your viral load and CD4 count is good. You would not have any problem with Visa. They did not ask for any private insurance. In my statement of purpose to the embassy during the Visa application, I had informed them that the university is providing with the insurance and that it covers the medicines.
wow congrats so your in canada right now? so no problem at all? when your in canada what they did or what first did you do? i wish i would have that good news soon i am starting to apply, after finish study do we have a chance what do you say?

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
Yep. I am in Vancouver right now. It is midnight here. Haha. and I am so glad to be here.
Yes, there is a very good chance that you would be able to get visa, given that your health is good.
Before flying to Canada, I had asked the doctors here to give me a prescription for 3 months along with medicine. I brought 3 months medicine with me because the MSP (government insurance in British Columbia) starts in around 3 months of applying. So, when I landed I straight away applied for MSP and got it within 3 months. And for TB they had given me a surveillance letter and I had to contact the hospital here. They gave me appointment and things are sorted with them. So, I would advise you to get admission in a really good university and would be good to go. But do your visa medical 4 months in advance of course start date.