+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit While Visiting Canada

aaristi5

Aug 9, 2011
Hi there,

I was accepted at Queens University for a Master of Science.
Currently I hold a temporary resident visa (multiple entries) valid for three years. To process a study permit in my country it will take more than two months. Since i will start classes on Sept 12, i don't have enough time to request the study permit here in Colombia.

Is it possible to request the study permit while i am in Canada as a visitor, travelling two or three weeks before classes start? I found on the CIC website that it is possible, however I would like to be sure of that.

Thanks for all the help you can give me.

Regards,

Andres.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aaristi5 said:
Hi there,

I was accepted at Queens University for a Master of Science.
Currently I hold a temporary resident visa (multiple entries) valid for three years. To process a study permit in my country it will take more than two months. Since i will start classes on Sept 12, i don't have enough time to request the study permit here in Colombia.

Is it possible to request the study permit while i am in Canada as a visitor, travelling two or three weeks before classes start? I found on the CIC website that it is possible, however I would like to be sure of that.

Thanks for all the help you can give me.

Regards,

Andres.
No, visitors can't switch to a study permit. So you have to apply to Bogota.

aaristi5

Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for your answer.
In the CIC website: online services it says i am elegible to apply for a study permit while visiting Canada. Well it says that I can apply for a study permit from inside Canada as a visitor.

Are you sure the only way is to request the permit from the Canadian embassynin bogota?

Regards,

Andres

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aaristi5 said:
Thanks for your answer.
In the CIC website: online services it says i am elegible to apply for a study permit while visiting Canada. Well it says that I can apply for a study permit from inside Canada as a visitor.

Are you sure the only way is to request the permit from the Canadian embassynin bogota?

Regards,

Andres
Certain, visitors cannot switch to a study permit inside of Canada.

aaristi5

Aug 9, 2011
Again, thank you for your kind and fast answer.

Have you checked the Study Permit Self-Assessment Tool in the online services section?

I completed the questionary and it say that I can,

Sorry to bother you with this matter, but it is very important for me... If I have to apply for the permit here in Colombia, i would need to postpone my masters until 2013, sice the core members of the faculty will be on sabathical.

Regards,

Andres

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aaristi5 said:
Again, thank you for your kind and fast answer.

Have you checked the Study Permit Self-Assessment Tool in the online services section?

I completed the questionary and it say that I can,

Sorry to bother you with this matter, but it is very important for me... If I have to apply for the permit here in Colombia, i would need to postpone my masters until 2013, sice the core members of the faculty will be on sabathical.

Regards,

Andres
Well if you want, come to Canada, apply to Vegreville for a study permit, get refused, go home. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp#step3

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Well if you want, come to Canada, apply to Vegreville for a study permit, get refused, go home. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp#step3
Priceless :)

aaristi5

Aug 9, 2011
Jeez, if thats all the help you can bring... I was expecting a more polite answer.

Anyway... Thanks for being so expressive...

aaristi5

Aug 9, 2011
Thanks Baloo.

The Q/A were:

Apply for a Study Permit (in Canada)

1. From where are you applying for a Study Permit? From inside Canada
2. Which of the following situations apply to you? I do not have a study permit
3. To find out if you qualify to study temporarily in Canada without a study permit, indicate which of the following situations applies to you.
None of the above.

According to the answers you have provided, you do not qualify to study temporarily in Canada without a study permit.

4. You may be eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you.
Holder of a Temporary resident Permit (Visa) valid for a minimum of six months
(mine is valid for three years).

5. Have you been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada? Yes
6. Do you have enough money to pay for:
•your tuition fees?
•your living expenses?
•your return transportation?
YES
7. Do you have a criminal record? No
8. Are you willing to complete a medical examination? Yes
9. Do you plan to leave Canada once you have completed your studies? Yes

According to the answers you have provided, you are eligible to apply for a Study Permit.

Note: If you apply to study in Quebec, you must have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ), before you apply for a Study Permit. For more information, visit the Immigration-Quebec website. Your school can also provide you with information about applying to study in Quebec. The length of time for which your Study Permit is valid will not exceed the validity of your CAQ. In certain cases a valid Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) may exempt you from needing a valid Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ). For more information on CAQ exemptions, visit Immigration Quebec at: (No links allowed)

This self-assessment tool is intended for general guidance and reference only. A Citizenship and Immigration Canada officer will make a legal decision based on the information you provided in your application.

I am not in Canada yet, however the company I work for has the headquarters in Toronto, so I can travel this same week if necessary.

Best regards,

Andres

rosoc

May 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico D.F.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11, 2011
Doc's Request.
July 22, 2011
Med's Request
None
VISA ISSUED...
August 3, 2011
LANDED..........
If god permits, August 24, 2011
Then go ahead and apply, however, I don't think it will be ready by the time classes start. I am going to Queen's as well.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aaristi5 said:
Thanks Baloo.

The Q/A were:

Apply for a Study Permit (in Canada)

1. From where are you applying for a Study Permit? From inside Canada
2. Which of the following situations apply to you? I do not have a study permit
3. To find out if you qualify to study temporarily in Canada without a study permit, indicate which of the following situations applies to you.
None of the above.

According to the answers you have provided, you do not qualify to study temporarily in Canada without a study permit.

4. You may be eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you.
Holder of a Temporary resident Permit (Visa) valid for a minimum of six months
(mine is valid for three years).

5. Have you been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada? Yes
6. Do you have enough money to pay for:
•your tuition fees?
•your living expenses?
•your return transportation?
YES
7. Do you have a criminal record? No
8. Are you willing to complete a medical examination? Yes
9. Do you plan to leave Canada once you have completed your studies? Yes

According to the answers you have provided, you are eligible to apply for a Study Permit.

Note: If you apply to study in Quebec, you must have a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ), before you apply for a Study Permit. For more information, visit the Immigration-Quebec website. Your school can also provide you with information about applying to study in Quebec. The length of time for which your Study Permit is valid will not exceed the validity of your CAQ. In certain cases a valid Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) may exempt you from needing a valid Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ). For more information on CAQ exemptions, visit Immigration Quebec at: (No links allowed)

This self-assessment tool is intended for general guidance and reference only. A Citizenship and Immigration Canada officer will make a legal decision based on the information you provided in your application.

I am not in Canada yet, however the company I work for has the headquarters in Toronto, so I can travel this same week if necessary.

Best regards,

Andres
1. Except that you don't have a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit, issued to a person inadmissible to Canada) you have a TRV, Temporary Resident Visa. Go back use the on-line services and answer NO to TRP and see what the result is.

evolvingfaith

Jul 22, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
IELTS Request
Not needed, took the GRE
Med's Request
28-07-2011
Med's Done....
30-07-2011 (results forwarded to New Delhi on 05-08-2011)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Stamped 12-08-2011; Valid Till 12-08-2015; Picked up on 18-08-2011 (Total Process Took 8 Weeks)
LANDED..........
Hoping to land on 09-09-2011
Yeah, a Temporary Resident Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa aren't the same thing -- they're different visa categories altogether (quite confusing, I know).

Andres, when did you get your acceptance letter? On the CIC website it says the processing time for Colombia is 5 weeks:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/students.asp

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

1. Except that you don't have a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit, issued to a person inadmissible to Canada) you have a TRV, Temporary Resident Visa. Go back use the on-line services and answer NO to TRP and see what the result is.
"According to the answers you have provided to us, you are not eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada. "

Easy to misread TRV / TRP.

aaristi5

Aug 9, 2011
Well... thanks to everyone who posted ccommentaries on this thread.
Yes, you are right... TRP is different from TRP.

I only got my acceptance letter two or three days ago... So basically i am gathering all the required information to apply for the permit here in Colombia... is at least worth trying, start late the courses and catch up.

Again, Thanks to everyone.

Best regards,

Andres Aristizabal.