+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit states "Unless authorized prohibited from engaging in employment"?

Passat89

Nov 22, 2014
Hi everyone I'm just a little bit confused with the above statement printed on my study permit. I've read the CIC work rules for foreign students thoroughly and what I understood was, all foreign students applying for study permits after June 1, 2014 maybe eligible to work off-campus without a work permit. I've met all the CIC requirements to be eligible to work off-campus. I've enrolled in a 16 month Master's program at a Designated Institute, have a valid study permit, and enrolled in courses Full-Time. I only need to obtain a Social Insurance Number. Can someone explain why is this "Unless authorized prohibited from engaging in employment" stated on my study permit?

Note: I arrived in Canada on the 1st of DEC and my program starts in JAN 2015 (in case you need this info to answer my question).
Thank you.

From the CIC website:
Work off campus
Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

during regular academic sessions and
full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.
To qualify, you must:

have a valid study permit,
be a full-time student,
be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
It is written on all Study Permits. Go to your local CIC office with your study permit and get a Social Insurance Number. Then you will be authorised to work. Where are you in Canada ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shradzsaraf said:
It is written on all Study Permits. Go to your local CIC office with your study permit and get a Social Insurance Number. Then you will be authorised to work. Where are you in Canada ?
CIC doesn't issue SINs, Service Canada offices do.

Sonechok

Dec 7, 2014
Hi, I have a similar issue, i have applied for a study permit in August, arrived to Canada on Dec 4th, my study permit says the same:

1.Unless authorized prohibited from engaging in employment
2. Must leave Canada by ...
3. Must be in attendance at a university approved pursuant to the immigration regulations.

According to the cic website and the new rules I should be able to work for 20 hours off campus, I went to get a SIN but they did not give me that (they said I need a permission letter from the college to work on-campus, because my study permit doesn't say that I'm allowed to work on-campus either). But, I'm more interested in the ability of working off campus, what should I do?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
Go to your graduate office in your University and ask them for a Study Permit Information letter. Tell them you need it to get your SIN number. They would know what you are talking about. They might charge you some money for it. My university charged me 10 dollars for it. They would issue it to you in a day or two and you can take that letter to the Service Canada office (i wrote CIC office by mistake before) and ask them to issue you a SIN number. They would do it.

Sonechok

Dec 7, 2014
Thank you for your reply, the officer in service canada told me the same thing, but as I understand, this will only grant me an on-campus work permit, what about off-campus?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
Sonechok said:
Thank you for your reply, the officer in service canada told me the same thing, but as I understand, this will only grant me an on-campus work permit, what about off-campus?
No this would give you off-campus work permit as well. Once you get your SIN number, you can work off-campus. All students who have come to Canada after June 2014 are automatically eligible to work off-campus part-time.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shradzsaraf said:
No this would give you off-campus work permit as well. Once you get your SIN number, you can work off-campus. All students who have come to Canada after June 2014 are automatically eligible to work off-campus part-time.
It's not really acutomaticially. It's up to immigration officer's decision.
I also got a study permit for the first time without allow to work off campus, although it is public school and post secondary level.

Many immigrantion officers make a mistake, because some gusy dont know the new rule which allow to work(off campus) as an international student.

Like me, people have to submit to ottowa with application and relevent papers.

Canadians are not smart and slow learners... It takes time to follow the rule. We should understand their mistakes and wait for new study permit...

Reactions: Tharu00000

Tharu00000

Oct 17, 2018
It's not really acutomaticially. It's up to immigration officer's decision.
I also got a study permit for the first time without allow to work off campus, although it is public school and post secondary level.

Many immigrantion officers make a mistake, because some gusy dont know the new rule which allow to work(off campus) as an international student.

Like me, people have to submit to ottowa with application and relevent papers.

Canadians are not smart and slow learners... It takes time to follow the rule. We should understand their mistakes and wait for new study permit...
Hi,
I also had to face the same situation. Even though I'm automatically eligible to work off campus, they printed that I can't do it. How did you change this condition exactly? Which application should I fill?