+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit (SDS Category) with two dependent Minor Children

SILVI SETHI

Feb 20, 2021
My Husband has applied for his study permit (SDS) application without any accompanying family member.
However recently i have also got offer from his university and now i intend to also apply for my study permit under SDS category. Since we have two dependent minor children, in my application i will mention that they will accompany me to Canada. I have following queries in this regard,

1. As my husband has separate study permit application do i need to also mention that my spouse will accompany me to canada in my study permit application ? We may travel on different dates.
2. For dependents (10 Years and 2 Years) do we need to fill TRV application form (IMM5257e) separately or children would be automatically granted visitor status once i have indicated them as accompanying family members on my study permit application ?
3. Any further suggestion which we should take care as per our situation would be appreciated ?

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
@SILVI SETHI - I am not an expert but below are my comments:

1. As my husband has separate study permit application do i need to also mention that my spouse will accompany me to canada in my study permit application ? We may travel on different dates. - (Please mention he will accompany even though he may travel separately)
2. For dependents (10 Years and 2 Years) do we need to fill TRV application form (IMM5257e) separately or children would be automatically granted visitor status once i have indicated them as accompanying family members on my study permit application ? (Yes you have to create separate applications. When you create your application there will be option to add more family members. So you can add them with your application. 10 years old will require a study permit whereas 2 years old will need a visitor visa. you have to attach all forms separately for yourself and each kid)
3. Any further suggestion which we should take care as per our situation would be appreciated ? (Attach a small explanation for each kid in client information that you need them with you as both of you will be there for studies. Just keep it simple.)

SILVI SETHI

Feb 20, 2021

1. As my husband has separate study permit application do i need to also mention that my spouse will accompany me to canada in my study permit application ? We may travel on different dates. - (Please mention he will accompany even though he may travel separately)
2. For dependents (10 Years and 2 Years) do we need to fill TRV application form (IMM5257e) separately or children would be automatically granted visitor status once i have indicated them as accompanying family members on my study permit application ? (Yes you have to create separate applications. When you create your application there will be option to add more family members. So you can add them with your application. 10 years old will require a study permit whereas 2 years old will need a visitor visa. you have to attach all forms separately for yourself and each kid)
3. Any further suggestion which we should take care as per our situation would be appreciated ? (Attach a small explanation for each kid in client information that you need them with you as both of you will be there for studies. Just keep it simple.)
Regarding study permit for 10 year minor dependant it seems the answer is NO according to below table

The following table summarizes whether a minor child needs a study permit to enroll in a school. School authorities may also use the table to help determine when school fees apply.
If the child is…Documents neededStudy permit required
a CanadianPassport, citizenship card, or birth certificateNo
a permanent residentRecord of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292); or Permanent Resident CardNo
a foreign national accompanied by a parent in the visitor classStamp on the child’s passport or on the father’s or mother’s passport on which the child is listed as a son or daughterYes
alone or with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permitChild’s passport or child listed on the parent’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit.Footnote1No
a refugee claimant, accompanied or not by a parentDetermination of Eligibility letter from us. Child’s passport or child listed on a parent’s passport, or any available travel or identity documents. May also have an expired IRCC document.No
in Canada without statusChild’s passport or child listed on a parent’s passport, or any available travel or identity documents. May also have an expired IRCC document.No

Footnotes
Footnote 1

The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if he or she has only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on his or her passport.

rayrayray

Sep 23, 2016

Hi,
The idea that i am getting reading these posts is that VOs now ask for SP applications for children above 5 years and visitor visa applications for children under 5 years. I already got my study permit last year and am in Canada. I am now planning to extend my study permit internally until next summer and I am planning to submit applications for my son, who is 4 years and 7 months old and for my daughter who is 2 years old, all in one single application. I know that a visitor visa application would be sufficient for my daughter but should I apply for a study permit for my son who is only 5 months away from being 5 years old?