+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refused

Saanya

Jun 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

I applied for a Canadian study permit last month and received a letter of refusal today citing "personal assets and financial status" as the reason for denial.

I had applied under the General category for a studying in a postgraduate diploma program. The reason I applied under General and not SDS is because the bank was willing to cover my living costs equalling 10000 CAD per year but they wouldn't cover it without me getting the visa approval first. I submitted all the required documents as asked by my consultant including the bank loan papers and property papers, etc.

I have got a 7.9 CGPA in my bachelor studies and a score of 8.5 in IELTS. My course is going to begin on the 27th of August so I'm not sure if I have enough time to reapply. Do you think I should ask the college for an extension and reapply or is it a waste of time? How do you think I can improve my application?

I have worked on this admission and visa application process for months and I am very disappointed by this outcome. Any advice would be appreciated.
I think you should first defer your admission to January then you should disburse your tuition fee and ask for official receipt from college or university. there are many cases when people get fake loan sanction letter. So I think disbursement is very important these days to make your application strong.
Don't worry just pay the fee from bank and apply again. I got visa after refusal once. All the best

Indigrrl

Star Member
Dec 10, 2017
India
I think so too.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can defer till next year right now. I will have to talk to my consultant. And the student loan will gather interest till next year too so I have to consider that.

Yes, a friend of mine was granted a study permit in the General category last year after getting a refusal in the SPP category (as it was known at that time) and given the same reason. I have emailed him to know what he did to improve his application. The only difference is that he had a GIC certificate but it's not mandatory under the General category.

I think I failed to clarify in my application that part of the education loan was going to be used for living expenses too. I think that's the problem but I'm not sure because the reason given is vague, to say the least. I assumed that they would understand that the loan includes the living costs because the loan amount is higher than the total tuition fee.

I think CAIPS notes will take some time to arrive. I will have to talk to my consultant about that too.

I will consider my options with my consultant and get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you for your help! :)
I used education loan as my pof too. You are right they will disperse loan only after your visa is approved. I did not get a GIC. I only showed money as fixed deposit in my account.

raj jain

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hi,

I didn't pay for GIC because the bank said that they will cover my living expenses for two years but they need the visa approval to disburse the money. They were talking about a FOREX card, I think.

The loan is disbursed when needed, for instance, when I would have needed to make the second-semester fee payment I would've had to contact my bank and they would make the payment. In case of living expenses, they were going to disburse it to my account after providing the visa approval letter.

Thank you for replying!
I feel very sorry for you! However, see if any of my points help you reapply:
1. The GIC makes a strong case. It gives surity to the immigration officers that money is parked with a Canadian financial institution.
2. You needed the money DISBURSED into your account, boy. Including Sanction Letter is perfect, but you need to show money in your account from the same bank which is giving you the education loan. Which bank is this which asks for Visa approval to disburse the money? :-\.
3. Did you pay the first-semester fee through your loan or your dad's money? Where's the track of that transaction?

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
I think so too.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can defer till next year right now. I will have to talk to my consultant. And the student loan will gather interest till next year too so I have to consider that.

Yes, a friend of mine was granted a study permit in the General category last year after getting a refusal in the SPP category (as it was known at that time) and given the same reason. I have emailed him to know what he did to improve his application. The only difference is that he had a GIC certificate but it's not mandatory under the General category.

I think I failed to clarify in my application that part of the education loan was going to be used for living expenses too. I think that's the problem but I'm not sure because the reason given is vague, to say the least. I assumed that they would understand that the loan includes the living costs because the loan amount is higher than the total tuition fee.

I think CAIPS notes will take some time to arrive. I will have to talk to my consultant about that too.

I will consider my options with my consultant and get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you for your help! :)
whether in the Regular or SDS category, GIC is mandatory only with the exception if an application is quite impressive but not a guarantee either

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
What does general category mean?
Its a category were your requirements in terms of applying for SP with IELTS of nothing less than 5.5 just in a single module and tuition fees payment of just a semester but with average guarantee of visa chances unlike the SDS that demands an IELTS of nothing less than 6 in each module with a year's tuition fees and have a more chances of Visa chances than the Regular/General category if the application is convincing

FYI: both category requires the applicants to pay for GIC

Last edited:
Reactions: FMAS

altairirfan

Jul 29, 2018
Can't you defer for next semester?
CAIPS will take a month, if you apply now you are good for Jan sem.
What I heard is that until you withdraw some amount from loan, interest is not accumulated. So ask about it too.
That is exactly what my consultant suggested and we are working on the deferment to Jan intake right now. Hopefully, the college will comply with my request.

Thank you for the suggestion!

altairirfan

Jul 29, 2018
I think you should first defer your admission to January then you should disburse your tuition fee and ask for official receipt from college or university. there are many cases when people get fake loan sanction letter. So I think disbursement is very important these days to make your application strong.
Don't worry just pay the fee from bank and apply again. I got visa after refusal once. All the best
Hi!

Thank you for replying. My consultant said that after deferment to the Jan intake (if granted) we should pay the tuition fee for one complete year this time and get a GIC certificate anyway to make my application strong and challenge the reasons given for the refusal. From what I understand they were kind of shocked by the refusal too because I had a very strong application already.

Let's hope its the same for me and I get the visa on this try. I am very reassured by that. Thank you!

altairirfan

Jul 29, 2018
I feel very sorry for you! However, see if any of my points help you reapply:
1. The GIC makes a strong case. It gives surity to the immigration officers that money is parked with a Canadian financial institution.
2. You needed the money DISBURSED into your account, boy. Including Sanction Letter is perfect, but you need to show money in your account from the same bank which is giving you the education loan. Which bank is this which asks for Visa approval to disburse the money? :-\.
3. Did you pay the first-semester fee through your loan or your dad's money? Where's the track of that transaction?
Thank you for replying!

Yes, I will try to get a GIC certificate this time if I can.

I paid my first-semester tuition fee myself because the bank was taking time to process my application and the deadline was approaching. The bank then reimbursed the same amount to me after a while. I showed this amount equalling 4 lakh rupees as additional funds and included the disbursement letter to show how I got these funds in my account.

The State Bank of India. The branch in my city is the most stubborn one I've encountered in my life and I had to literally call up an agency called GyanDhan who help with student loans to prove to the bank that they can sponsor living expenses too BY SHOWING THEM A CIRCULAR ISSUED BY THE BANK ITSELF. But they don't ask for visa approval for disbursing tuition fee. Only for living expenses.

altairirfan

Jul 29, 2018
I used education loan as my pof too. You are right they will disperse loan only after your visa is approved. I did not get a GIC. I only showed money as fixed deposit in my account.
I paid my first-semester tuition fee myself because the bank was taking time to process my application and the deadline was approaching. The bank then reimbursed the same amount to me after a while. I showed this amount equalling 4 lakh rupees as additional funds and included the disbursement letter to show how I got these funds in my account. Again, I know people who have got their visa approved by showing fewer proofs.

Maybe it's just my bad luck. I'll try again and see what happens. I don't want to waste more time running after this visa. I graduated last year with hopes of studying in Canada. I even included my internship letters even though my study gap wasn't that big.

Thank you, everyone here is very helpful. I appreciate all the suggestions.

raj jain

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Thank you for replying!

Yes, I will try to get a GIC certificate this time if I can.

I paid my first-semester tuition fee myself because the bank was taking time to process my application and the deadline was approaching. The bank then reimbursed the same amount to me after a while. I showed this amount equalling 4 lakh rupees as additional funds and included the disbursement letter to show how I got these funds in my account.

The State Bank of India. The branch in my city is the most stubborn one I've encountered in my life and I had to literally call up an agency called GyanDhan who help with student loans to prove to the bank that they can sponsor living expenses too BY SHOWING THEM A CIRCULAR ISSUED BY THE BANK ITSELF. But they don't ask for visa approval for disbursing tuition fee. Only for living expenses.
I know! The State Bank employees are salaried on the tax-payer's money and at any branch in India, they (except very very few) do not want to do any work. Gyandhan people are quite helpful. They helped me as well.