+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refused !! Please advise.

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Point taken. Then I don't know how to show strong ties :)
strong ties would be property in your name or other assets / investments .. employment ( letter of job offer after finishing program ) or duties in community you are part of . do you have family members that need your care like kids or spouse ? does your family have shop or business ? you could mention that u are taking care of it and u have to comeback for it ( for example ) . your case is different than mine as you are older than me for example 21 years old applicants ties to home country would be family members. you could also show a job posting in company that u are interested in and u need the credentials in Canada to obtain similar posting back in your home country or current company you work for.

Reactions: altctrdelighted

altctrdelighted

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
strong ties would be property in your name or other assets / investments .. employment ( letter of job offer after finishing program ) or duties in community you are part of . do you have family members that need your care like kids or spouse ? does your family have shop or business ? you could mention that u are taking care of it and u have to comeback for it ( for example ) . your case is different than mine as you are older than me for example 21 years old applicants ties to home country would be family members. you could also show a job posting in company that u are interested in and u need the credentials in Canada to obtain similar posting back in your home country or current company you work for.
Thanks ! That was informative. I just have my parents and extended family here. Not married yet. I don't have any physical assets as such. Those are in my parents name. Can fixed deposits and mutual funds be shown as such ? Yeah, I would show some job postings in the company that I am interested in. Thanks again !

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
No matter what SoP you write, it just doesn't make sense for you someone to come to Canada to take a flying course (which I assume is extensively more expensive than in India) to then say that you are going back to India to fly. On top of that, you have no prior experience and education in this field and are by no means young. Career change is nothing something VOs look favorably upon.

Education diversion/Career change = major life changes -> goes hand in hand with likelihood of immigration

Reactions: wonderbly

altctrdelighted

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
No matter what SoP you write, it just doesn't make sense for you someone to come to Canada to take a flying course (which I assume is extensively more expensive than in India) to then say that you are going back to India to fly. On top of that, you have no prior experience and education in this field and are by no means young. Career change is nothing something VOs look favorably upon.

Education diversion/Career change = major life changes -> goes hand in hand with likelihood of immigration
I have explained why India is not a favorable destination for flight training. And your assumption is wrong. Flight training is more expensive here in India (I will add this bit in the SoP. Thanks!) and will take me almost double the time to complete. Also explained why I would go back to India because it's the fastest growing aviation market compared to Canada which is a much mature market with much less opportunities. I have explained the reason for my change of career. If only some VO would care to read rather than being hell bent on refusing applications left right and center.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
It's for CPL. Yeah, Canada is quite cheap for CPL. South Africa is the only cheaper option compared to Canada that I found where you also get quality training.
TBH, I’m very surprised that flight training here is cheaper than Asian flight schools. In the Philippines alone, the equivalent of CAD$50k is the average for PPL training which only gives you 40hrs of flight time (and mostly with single engine aircrafts).

altctrdelighted

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
TBH, I’m very surprised that flight training here is cheaper than Asian flight schools. In the Philippines alone, the equivalent of CAD$50k is the average for PPL training which only gives you 40hrs of flight time (and mostly with single engine aircrafts).
Yeah, it's a shame tbh. The costs are high here because of higher aviation fuel costs, higher maintenance costs and instructors charging exorbitant fees. The instructors can easily join airlines and to make them stay the flight schools must pay them a good amount. In US/Canada fuel is much cheaper and instructors are paid much less. In these countries the instructors can't make directly to the right seat of say an A320, which is the norm in India. They have to start from small planes and gradually reach there in 6-7 years. Also, it means that as a pilot they are paid much less initially, especially if you compare in PPP terms.

Last edited:

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Yeah, it's a shame tbh. The costs are high here because of higher aviation fuel costs, higher maintenance costs and instructors charging exorbitant fees. The instructors can easily join airlines and to make them stay the flight schools must pay them a good amount. In US/Canada fuel is much cheaper and instructors are paid much less. In these countries the instructors can't make directly to the right seat of say an A320, which is the norm in India. They have to start from small planes and gradually reach there in 6-7 years. Also, it means that as a pilot they are paid much less initially, especially if you see in PPP terms.
Well, small planes such as the classic Cessna 172, still gives a pilot trainee the best experience because they are still manual controlled . Unlike the newer commercial planes which are mostly fly-by-wire. There’s nothing like feeling the pressure from your aileron as you push and pull that stick...

But I’m getting off-topic. Just wishing you all the best in your application. Hope you get approved the next time.

altctrdelighted

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
Well, small planes such as the classic Cessna 172, still gives a pilot trainee the best experience because they are still manual controlled . Unlike the newer commercial planes which are mostly fly-by-wire. There’s nothing like feeling the pressure from your aileron as you push and pull that stick...

But I’m getting off-topic. Just wishing you all the best in your application. Hope you get approved the next time.
I agree with you. This is what most of the pilots say when I have a conversation with them. There's very less to no hand flying in an airline setup. You are basically a systems manager.
Thanks man ! Appreciate it.

Reactions: rogelcorral

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I didn't suggest that I want to become a captain because I am motivated by salary. My current profession pays me quite well and I will submit my salary slips in proof of funds. Through my explaination I wanted to show my love for aviation and my desire to fly. Is being "salary motivated" a negative though ??

I have written a whole section on this in my SOP. This is like an appendix to the main SOP that discusses specifically the visa refusal reasons. This is what I have written in my SOP :

Why choose Canada as a flight training destination?

I have gone through an elaborate thought process before fixating on Canada as my flight training destination. Initially, I wanted to study in India but with more research I learned that the airspace is quite congested here and the training quality is poor as most experienced flight instructors are vigorously poached by the airlines. These issues result in the flight training duration to extend up to 2 to 4 years! Briefly, I was also considering destinations such as Johannesburg (South Africa) and Miami (United States of America) where the weather makes it possible to fly all year round. However, considering that I want to make a career in India where the weather is so diverse ranging from extreme summer heat to heavy monsoon to snowy winter in the north, I wouldn’t be doing myself any favors by becoming a fair weather pilot.

There’s only one other country that offers a combo of a wide array of weather and an excellent standard of flight training – Canada. Canada’s diverse weather allows the student pilots to train in conditions that they may not experience in another country. The trainees generally experience daylight visual conditions for the most part, but as they advance in their training they learn how to deal with icing, rain, thunderstorms, snow showers, flying in cloudy or reduced visibility conditions, and are able to experience actual IMC (Instrument meteorological conditions).

I have also found out that the standard of training in Canada is highly respected worldwide because of their first class education system. Their emphasis on flight safety and ground training as enforced by the regulator - Transport Canada is also very high. Training in Canada, I believe would give me the right international exposure, world class training as well as the cutting edge to stay far ahead of my peers who might have trained elsewhere. It’s my firm opinion that training in Canada will enhance my career prospects immensely when I return back to India.

However, the most important reason to choose Canada is its people. In my 9 years of experience of working in an international setup, I have interacted with people from different countries and backgrounds. I have found Canadians to be humble, courteous, friendly and most welcoming of the lot.

Yes, That's one of my questions. I am trying to understand if showing properties in India in my parents name somehow means "strong ties to the home country". So, that they would that that I am inclined to return to India.
I think I have shown enough funds in my name (total 171k CAD in form of (bank balance + FD + mutual funds + 10k CAD GIC + 10k CAD prepaid tuition fees). Will adding my parents properties make any difference ?

Yeah I guess so. I am just trying to find a way around it

Thanks a lot for your advise !! Any other pointers ? Can you try to take those questions I highlighted in red ?
I have read about why you chose Canada over any other country but seems not convincing to me, but unfortunately I can not provide you with alternative wording. you mentioned about India as fast moving in aviation and is more prospect than Canada, and yet you mentioned that India aviation is highly congested and has very poor quality in terms of training, making it longer to complete by extending from 2-4yrs. It contradicts previous assertion that you will return to work to the same industry having poorly trained members. If I were you, I would refrain from making general conclusion to make my point.

You mentioned that you will benefit from training in all whether in Canada, as in India compared to Johannesburg and Miami. This in my opinion, is assumption that in general, all Pilots and Aviation expert who were trained in other country not Canada lacks some training and or whether experience, plus there are many other countries that has 4 seasons, and has vibrant aviation Industry, more than Canada Airspace. Again question of why did you choose Canada has not been addressed properly. Mind you, you have to convince VPO why you are changing your career at mid 30 on top of this.

You can't use your parents properties as proof of home ties, due to the age factors. However you can show those in your name as proof of strong economic ties. I don't know how long your Study Plan is going to look like, but Im afraid officer will want to prove previous decision. so making it loong with detailed research may not make much of the difference.

Key issues I see here is

1. changing of career at mid 30 and gap
2. Why Canada, and if you will return back to your Canada

Once you have the notes, review and re apply. I don't mean to discourage you, but I want you to succeed, All the best

Reactions: wonderbly

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Career change always happens, so you're free to change to what you love to do. But then, my concern is @34, with all the money that you showed that you have, you still don't have a single investment to tie to your home country like marriage, kids, housing, lands, assets etc. It shows that you're not tied to your home country in anyway and free as a bird to remain in Canada.

Is good you have applied for your note, but then why not try to get some assets in your name before you reapply. You can acquire land or any good home ties, get a flight company to give you recommendations that will show you're back.

In summary, just get some home ties to your name. At 34 nd showing almost 120k as POF then to use parents properties as home ties may tell the VO that maybe, the 120k you're showing isn't really yours.

My humble opinion though, might be wrong. All the best

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I'm sorry, but your SOP is laborious to read. You are trying too hard and stringing together many unnecessary words to express yourself. E.g.:

"I have gone through an elaborate thought process before fixating on Canada as my flight training destination". This exaggerated sentence is not useful. All you have to say is "I chose Canada for my studies because....".

Also, you have shot yourself in the foot with your SOP. What do you mean by the airspace in India is congested??? Too many planes flying, so no more room in the sky? Why then do you want to join an obviously over-saturated industry??? Also, what you said about the weather - every country experience different weather situation all year round, still pilots fly all year round!

You need to do a A LOT of work on your SOP. Remove the exaggerated emotional writings and false claims and keep it VERY simple.

Finally, I think you are missing the whole point behind the "purpose of visit" reason given. It means that the VO is not convinced you are a intending to go to Canada for flight training. I am not a VO and by simply reading your SOP and the amount of inconsistent claims made in there, I am not convinced either.

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
I'm sorry, but your SOP is laborious to read. You are trying too hard and stringing together many unnecessary words to express yourself. E.g.:

"I have gone through an elaborate thought process before fixating on Canada as my flight training destination". This exaggerated sentence is not useful. All you have to say is "I chose Canada for my studies because....".

Also, you have shot yourself in the foot with your SOP. What do you mean by the airspace in India is congested??? Too many planes flying, so no more room in the sky? Why then do you want to join an obviously over-saturated industry??? Also, what you said about the weather - every country experience different weather situation all year round, still pilots fly all year round!

You need to do a A LOT of work on your SOP. Remove the exaggerated emotional writings and false claims and keep it VERY simple.

Finally, I think you are missing the whole point behind the "purpose of visit" reason given. It means that the VO is not convinced you are a intending to go to Canada for flight training. I am not a VO and by simply reading your SOP and the amount of inconsistent claims made in there, I am not convinced either.
indeed. LOE and SOP should be very simple, direct and consistent. everything must align together. one must imagine that it is the interview and u answer in paper instead of talking . Also one must assume that the vo have rejection in their heads before reviewing the application so we should prepare strong case and arguments so the vo feels comfortable with the application.

the biggest factor in very application is whether you are a trustworthy person or not. and that should be proved not only with words but with other solid proofs. your profile is everything. while reading his profile and his letter . i felt like there were so many complications and stuff that need to be explained in a simple way.