+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit refused due to "purpose of your visit", is it possible for IRCC to reconsider?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Close, but no. I started computer engineering at 16 years old and dropped out 2 years later - because I didn't enjoy computer programming and especially because there's little opportunity for fresh Engineering graduates and technology workers where I live. That's when I decided to start working in Oil & Gas (the most developed industry in my hometown) as an admin assistant - and have been in the same company for the last 3 years.
I doubt your credibility. You just said you are 16, but then you say NO, you are not but CLOSE. So what is close? 17 or 15? If again you say you are 16, how possible you have been working for 3 years and live with partner. Anyway, its your personal life but atleast be straight with your profile and members will advise you accordingly.

“I thought they'd understand it's not exactly easy figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life at 16 years old, when you're graduating from high school”

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
You are taking an Associate of Arts, which doesn’t even exist in the Canadian public system. So you are transferring to a public university? How will this program help your career in your home country.
I doubt your credibility. You just said you are 16, but then you say NO, you are not but CLOSE. So what is close? 17 or 15? If again you say you are 16, how possible you have been working for 3 years and live with partner. Anyway, its your personal life but atleast be straight with your profile and members will advise you accordingly.

“I thought they'd understand it's not exactly easy figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life at 16 years old, when you're graduating from high school”
I never said I was 16. When I answered "No, but close", I meant the sentence as a whole was close to reality. I'm in my twenties.

I dropped out of Engineering because I made the decision of starting Engineering very early, when I was 16 - which is a time in your life when you don't know much about anything. What I meant to say is that if you make a decision under such circumstances, you shouldn't feel like you have to stick to it for life.

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
You are taking an Associate of Arts, which doesn’t even exist in the Canadian public system. So you are transferring to a public university? How will this program help your career in your home country.
It is recognized by the Canadian public system, though (https://www.bctransferguide.ca/associate/transfer). I couldn't say that transferring to a public university in BC is what I plan to do with the AA, since my total funds at the time of my application wouldn't be enough for that, but that's something I consider doing. The program can help me in my home country mostly for the fact that employers value international more than domestic higher education here, by improving my writing and communications skills and giving me important concepts about management - which are valuable in the administrative field. And I know that sounds a bit generalist, but it's just how business programs work...

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020

But I apoligize, I guess I wasn't clear enough and this comment was unnecessary. I came here for help after all, not to convince you that I'm right.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
But I apoligize, I guess I wasn't clear enough and this comment was unnecessary. I came here for help after all, not to convince you that I'm right.
My apologize if i was too harsh. Could be the way you put it, and i wasnt the first to ask if you are 16. When some other member asked are you 16, you said NO, but too close. Too close cant be twenties. Again we are here to help each others, not to prove right or wrong

Reactions: pedrocoelho

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Last Saturday I had my study permit application refused by IRCC. My last correspondence letter says the following:

"I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit."

I've already ordered an ATIP, but also wrote them a letter to ask for reconsideration, especially since I've already started my online studies (from my home country). I emailed this letter to the visa office that refused my application alongside some supporting documents, and also submitted them via web form.

How common is it for IRCC to reconsider applications that were refused like this?

I chose the Associate of Arts program at a business university, having been a Computer Engineering student in the past who dropped out. Even though I explained this in my application, I believe this was most likely the reason for my refusal.
You can ask for reconsideration but low chances this request will be considered. Most likely you will need to reapply and put together a stronger application.

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
IRCC have just responded to my request for consideration, and you guys were right after all. I feel like a clown, because I know deep down I just came here for validation

Here's what they wrote me back:
"I have received your request for reconsideration of my decision. I have thoroughly reviewed and considered the information on the application. Upon review, all relevant evidence was fully considered. Therefore, I decline your request for reconsideration. Should you have different or additional information, you may wish to submit a new application for temporary residence in Canada along with new fees."

Anyways, I appreciate you being realistic. I wanted to be heard and ended up coming off as rude in some of my replies, sorry about that. I'll wait on my GCMS notes and see what I can do, and I'm on the verge of asking UCW to give be the full refund (8k CAD paid so far).

Last edited:

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
It is recognized by the Canadian public system, though (https://www.bctransferguide.ca/associate/transfer). I couldn't say that transferring to a public university in BC is what I plan to do with the AA, since my total funds at the time of my application wouldn't be enough for that, but that's something I consider doing. The program can help me in my home country mostly for the fact that employers value international more than domestic higher education here, by improving my writing and communications skills and giving me important concepts about management - which are valuable in the administrative field. And I know that sounds a bit generalist, but it's just how business programs work...
Your story is full of holes and inconsistencies. The others here have already pointed it out. It is highly likely that you're trying to use a study permit to stay in Canada and not return home according to the visa officer. Your course of course and institution also confirms it. UCW is a degree mill, the visa officer knows it. The school only wants you to pay for the fees, of course they would let you start remotely, if you pay.

You have to reapply, if you want to try again.

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
Your story is full of holes and inconsistencies. The others here have already pointed it out. It is highly likely that you're trying to use a study permit to stay in Canada and not return home according to the visa officer. Your course of course and institution also confirms it. UCW is a degree mill, the visa officer knows it. The school only wants you to pay for the fees, of course they would let you start remotely, if you pay.

You have to reapply, if you want to try again.
In your opinion, should I reapply with UCW or get my refund and try somewhere else? Yes, I do have dual intent. But if I admit it, I'll most likely get refused again, right?

I'm taking IELTS General to be able to reapply through the Sudent Direct Stream, so I'm thinking of applying to Express Entry's Federal Skilled Worker program as well

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
Honestly, I thin
In your opinion, should I reapply with UCW or get my refund and try somewhere else? Yes, I do have dual intent. But if I admit it, I'll most likely get refused again, right?

I'm taking IELTS General to be able to reapply through the Sudent Direct Stream, so I'm thinking of applying to Express Entry's Federal Skilled Worker program as well
SDS gives a faster processing time. Not easier requirement. SDS or non-SDS, UCW stays to be a bad choice.
EE FSW, you will likely need at least 470 CRS points to get invited.

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
Honestly, I thin

SDS gives a faster processing time. Not easier requirement. SDS or non-SDS, UCW stays to be a bad choice.
EE FSW, you will likely need at least 470 CRS points to get invited.
Yes, I'm aware that the SDS only affects processing time. I'm unsure whether or not expressing dual intent on my second study permit application would make me look bad, because I've seen someone do it and their application was approved.

My CRS score would stay between 300 and 350, so my only hope for immigration for now would be getting a provincial nomination based on my 3-year NOC B (1241) foreign work experience.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021

So far you've only showed single intent, to stay in Canada, based on the VO's evaluation. You have not yet shown that you will leave Canada (2nd intent) at the end of your stay.

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
So far you've only showed single intent, to stay in Canada, based on the VO's evaluation. You have not yet shown that you will leave Canada (2nd intent) at the end of your stay.
Right, I understand. I was reading IRCC's definition of dual intent just now. Here's the thing: So far I've tried showing the single intent of leaving Canada after the authorized period, which obviously failed. If I mention dual intent when reapplying, does that reduce my chances of approval (since I'd be pretty much admitting I lied before)?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Right, I understand. I was reading IRCC's definition of dual intent just now. Here's the thing: So far I've tried showing the single intent of leaving Canada after the authorized period, which obviously failed. If I mention dual intent when reapplying, does that reduce my chances of approval (since I'd be pretty much admitting I lied before)?
Dual intent is a big problem if applicant profile is no strong or in between. Setting up EE account prove that you will not return back to your country. It works best for spousal sponsorship. Thats why advice is do not set up EE account if you later plan to apply TRV. You can reapply if you can overcome reasons applied during refusal and most important the dual intention.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Last Saturday I had my study permit application refused by IRCC. My last correspondence letter says the following:

"I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit."

I've already ordered an ATIP, but also wrote them a letter to ask for reconsideration, especially since I've already started my online studies (from my home country). I emailed this letter to the visa office that refused my application alongside some supporting documents, and also submitted them via web form.

How common is it for IRCC to reconsider applications that were refused like this?

I chose the Associate of Arts program at a business university, having been a Computer Engineering student in the past who dropped out. Even though I explained this in my application, I believe this was most likely the reason for my refusal.
An associates degree would unlikely lead to career advancement and it would be really tough to justify coming to Canada for an associates degree in business at UCW. There are likely similar degrees if not much better degrees in your home country. Like everyone else you’ll need to see what GCMS says.