+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refused Due to Family ties in Canada, Financial Status and Purpose of visit

May 9, 2019
Greetings Everyone,

I recently applied for my student permit and got rejected based on:
-Purpose of visit
-Financial Status (Which I may know why)
-Family ties in Canada and country of residence.

So financial status may have been an issue ebcause my bank statments were not of the past 4 months and were slightly older, which may have been a possible factor.
I do have relatives in Canada and they are my custodian as i got the custodianship declaration form signed, but still got rejected.
I do not know what they mean by purpose of visit. I explained everything in my LOE/SOP

Kindly assist me on what could have possible gone wrong. I am already getting CAIPS and beginning the reapplication soon.

AMONKIPROTICH

Apr 29, 2019
KENYA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi members please advise,i applied for study permit online on 22nd april.in the optional documents ,i also added temporary residence visa application.My application has since been rejected basing on the temporary residence visa which was not my primary application.The letter of refusal stated that MY application for VISITING visa could not be granted and am thinking that my STUDY permit application was not considered.i have a strong conviction that when reviewed for study permit, i stand a chance of getting it.how best should i adress this issue?study permit applications usually take 9weeks here and my decision was made within 2weeks and as such i believe they processed a wrong visa and i regret why i had o include the application for TRV.kindly help

Bellap

May 10, 2019
The exact same thing happened to me. I applied for a study permit. I was given a response in 2 weeks and it said VISITING as well. I truely hope you figure yours out. family ties and purpose of visit were also reasons for my refusal.

Strygald

Mar 15, 2019
"Family ties in Canada" - this one really bugs me, it seems like having relatives in Canada counts against the applicant. First off, where's the compassion in keeping family split apart? Second, if an applicant has relatives in Canada then they, more than likely, have someone to fall back on if they run into serious difficulties. Thirdly, I heard visa officers have real difficulty understanding dual intent .. i'd say a lot of international students choose to study in Canada because they are interested in immigrating at some point in the future, having relatives already there would make that transition easier... smoother integration too.

AMONKIPROTICH

Apr 29, 2019
KENYA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
The exact same thing happened to me. I applied for a study permit. I was given a response in 2 weeks and it said VISITING as well. I truely hope you figure yours out. family ties and purpose of visit were also reasons for my refusal.
what did you do?i have written to them and i hope they will respond in due course

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
"Family ties in Canada" - this one really bugs me, it seems like having relatives in Canada counts against the applicant. First off, where's the compassion in keeping family split apart? Second, if an applicant has relatives in Canada then they, more than likely, have someone to fall back on if they run into serious difficulties. Thirdly, I heard visa officers have real difficulty understanding dual intent .. i'd say a lot of international students choose to study in Canada because they are interested in immigrating at some point in the future, having relatives already there would make that transition easier... smoother integration too.
If you read the entirety of the rejection reason, it says "family ties in Canada and your country of residence." It could be either. A lot of the time, this is when there are no family ties in the country of residence because they are all coming to Canada (ie, a family travelling together).

There's a difference between dual intent - which is having an intent to eventually immigrate but respecting terms of admission - and doing anything you can on a study visa just to get in and stay. The pathway from study permit to PR is actually very easy in comparison to others, so the level of review is much more stringent.

You can thank everyone who spends tens of thousands of dollars on a horrid private college that's in a tiny office in a nondescript office building, and then tries to string together enough part-time work and after-graduation work to barely qualify for PR for raising the level of review on study permit applications.

Strygald

Mar 15, 2019
You can thank everyone who spends tens of thousands of dollars on a horrid private college that's in a tiny office in a nondescript office building, and then tries to string together enough part-time work and after-graduation work to barely qualify for PR for raising the level of review on study permit applications.
I agree with your sentiment, but what can be done? exclude private colleges from accepting international students? have a priority flow for applicants accepted into public colleges and universities? i'm sure anything like that would make a lot of people unhappy and wont happen anyway because it would mean a lot less money flowing into Canada. The stringent level of review has left my application in processing for 6 months, and i've been accepted by a reputable public college... my life is really not that interesting so I have no clue what they could be checking that would take that long. In fact it's taken so long i've gotten bored of waiting and started looking at other options. Luckily for me I live in a country that has institutions that are as good as, and better, than Canadian institutions; there is also a nationwide levy on companies to provide apprenticeships, including higher and degree-level apprenticeships.. so I have plenty of options at home.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I agree with your sentiment, but what can be done? exclude private colleges from accepting international students? have a priority flow for applicants accepted into public colleges and universities? i'm sure anything like that would make a lot of people unhappy and wont happen anyway because it would mean a lot less money flowing into Canada. The stringent level of review has left my application in processing for 6 months, and i've been accepted by a reputable public college... my life is really not that interesting so I have no clue what they could be checking that would take that long. In fact it's taken so long i've gotten bored of waiting and started looking at other options. Luckily for me I live in a country that has institutions that are as good as, and better, than Canadian institutions; there is also a nationwide levy on companies to provide apprenticeships, including higher and degree-level apprenticeships.. so I have plenty of options at home.
What they do is extreme levels of review for people who do not have enough prima facie ties to their home countries or reasons to return. Dual intent isn't a magic incantation that overrides visa officer concerns.

I'm sorry you were caught in this but I'm happy you have other options.