+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refusal

gmchinchayan

Jun 24, 2017
Hello all

I wanted to know if there is a way to appeal instead of reapplying as suggested by the embassy. The only reason I am saying this is because my studies would commence on September 7th and a reapplication for a study permit took more than 4 weeks for my canadian embassy to reply in Abu Dhabi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone wants to know about my case, I got refused because of my purpose of visit. The other reason section also mentioned that my previous studies and employment history does to convince the immigration officer that I will study the proposed program I am applying to. Which is simply ludicrous.

I studied Biotechnology diploma in my hope country but after somw time I decided to go to the US and earn a Bachelors Degree in Economics. After that I was able to land a position with Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP as an Accountant, but since I was not a US Citizen nor had sponsorship my contract terminated after year.

So the program I chose to study at the University of Windsor is a Post Graduate Certification in Accounting which will help me obtain a CPA. It seems like I was suppose to write this in the Letter of Explanation but I didn't think it would be that extreme.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Given it is already August 19th even if there were an appeal process it would be unlikely you would meet your course start date so probably best to defer and just submit a new application.

As for your application maybe it was a hard sell that you were working as an accountant for PWC which cannot have been an easy job to have landed yet you want to study accounting now in Canada. Thats all I can think of as being where you need to be more convincing in your reasoning.

gmchinchayan

Jun 24, 2017
Given it is already August 19th even if there were an appeal process it would be unlikely you would meet your course start date so probably best to defer and just submit a new application.

As for your application maybe it was a hard sell that you were working as an accountant for PWC which cannot have been an easy job to have landed yet you want to study accounting now in Canada. Thats all I can think of as being where you need to be more convincing in your reasoning.
appreciate your response, I am going to do the re-application with a detailed Letter of Explanation. I am also going to be applying to the embassy in Turkey since I can go there with a visitor visa, and the processing time is just a week so hopefully that can work it out

M

MayorGrom

appreciate your response, I am going to do the re-application with a detailed Letter of Explanation. I am also going to be applying to the embassy in Turkey since I can go there with a visitor visa, and the processing time is just a week so hopefully that can work it out
Be careful to do so. Make sure that the embassy in Turkey services your country.

Reactions: Playcold

Playcold

Star Member
May 20, 2017
You might be told to apply from your home country. Ensure they have jurisdiction to process citizens from your home country.

gmchinchayan

Jun 24, 2017
You might be told to apply from your home country. Ensure they have jurisdiction to process citizens from your home country.
I applied for a study permit from the UAE which I am not from, however the refusal that I received did not mention that I had to apply in my home country. So I am basing on that judgement.

On the FAQ page there is a question about this as well.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1017&top=16

if you are legally admitted to the country you are currently in, you can apply at your nearest visa application centre (VAC). The VAC can help make sure your application is complete and that all proper documentation is included. You must state clearly on your application why you have not applied in your normal country of residence.

Playcold

Star Member
May 20, 2017
"Legally Admitted" is the important words here.
Are you not under working visa in UAE ??
If you think turkey fits that and you can explain it under a visitors visa then why not - go for it.
All the best

gmchinchayan

Jun 24, 2017
"Legally Admitted" is the important words here.
Are you not under working visa in UAE ??
If you think turkey fits that and you can explain it under a visitors visa then why not - go for it.
All the best
My parents live here, I am under a visitor visa status in the UAE. I can go under the same status if I visit Turkey as well, anyways I will call CIC on Monday just to confirm if this is possible. thanks for your help, I appreciate it