+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit proof of financial support question

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
Hello,

I was recently accepted to a Canadian university and am now in the process of applying for the study permit. I have about half the total amount of money required to complete the programme (tuition+all other expenses)in my bank account. The other half will be provided by my father.

My question is, should I:

1. Let him transfer the required balance to my account first, then get bank statement for my account with everything all together or
  2. Get 2 separate bank statements, one for each of us, and the sponsor letter where he agrees to fund the remainder (tuition?)
Thanks for any help!

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
You should consider paying the university of the first year to show the visa officer you're serious. Make sure you can get a refund from the university incase study permit is refused.

But to answer your question, it doesn't matter. Reason: if your father transfers the funds to you, you will have to explain it where it came from. If you explain it, that means you have to provide his statement as well.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
You should consider paying the university of the first year to show the visa officer you're serious. Make sure you can get a refund from the university incase study permit is refused.

But to answer your question, it doesn't matter. Reason: if your father transfers the funds to you, you will have to explain it where it came from. If you explain it, that means you have to provide his statement as well.
Wow so not only do you need to provide evidence of the funds, but also the source of the funds?

It doesn't say that anywhere on the website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/get-documents.html#doc3

Having to explain source of funds is such a headache, what documents do you even need for that!? I don't have payslips from my last job whereI earned this money, although I have payslips from work before that.

As for my father's funds, it's going to take forever for our government (his employer) to issue a letter. Won't his past payslips/pension letter suffice?

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Wow so not only do you need to provide evidence of the funds, but also the source of the funds? It doesn't say that anywhere on the website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/get-documents.html#doc3
Let me explain: if you typically have large transactions in your account, then it's not an issue. You don't have to explain it. If however, for example, you earn $1000 a month and suddenly $5000 appears in your account a month or two before you apply for visa, the VO is going to wonder "is this money borrowed? is it really available for his education?". The UK student visa actually states you must have the money for 4 months in your account. I wish the CIC stated something as clearly because having money appear suddenly in your account is suspicious in the eyes of the VO.

You have to prove that the funds are unencumbered are intended for your study alone. An example of this is many people sell property to fund their education. If this is the case and a large amount appears in your statement, you explain it and you can only explain it by explaining the source. In your case, it is enough to prove it came from your father's - you don't have to prove where he earned it. Just explain his employment in your SOP.

This is a common reason for refusal. Unlike the immigration process, the study permit process feels a lot more opaque. You'll find that the list of required documents that CIC provides isn't even complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmoh

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hello,

I was recently accepted to a Canadian university and am now in the process of applying for the study permit. I have about half the total amount of money required to complete the programme (tuition+all other expenses)in my bank account. The other half will be provided by my father.

My question is, should I:

1. Let him transfer the required balance to my account first, then get bank statement for my account with everything all together or
  2. Get 2 separate bank statements, one for each of us, and the sponsor letter where he agrees to fund the remainder (tuition?)
Thanks for any help!

don't transfer the funds to your account before getting the bank statement otherwise it will seem to be either a borrowed funds or funds gotten for the sole interest of getting a study permit

It's advisable to just submit both your sponsors and your own personal bank statement since it already shows you are working or have gained work experience.

from your sponsors part, he have to show evidence of source of funds(employment letter, pension, gratuities, payslips for 3/4months, sponsors letter etc)

on your part, since you already have work experience or currently working, you have to show previous/current employment letter, payslips to prove your own personal source of funds. This would make your financial case stronger

be warned not to deposit a huge amount at once before getting the statement, it will eventually become suspicious of how the funds came

No matter how much is in the bank account, CIC always wants and command an explanation, and also a proof of financial source