+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit + Open work permit - System issue on application

rschenkel

Feb 15, 2019
Hi. I am from Honduras. Together with my wife, we are applying for obtaining a study permit (1.5 years temporary residence) for her and an open work permit for myself. We are also applying with our two children (aged 8 and 12) as visitors.

We submitted our application on Wednesday (2/13), with my wife as principal applicant. That same Wednesday, we received a notification we had a message, and when login in (myCiC), it showed my application had a message, and it was the Biometrics instructions letter. Only thing is that the letter is addressed to my youngest son (who is 8, and, AFAIK, would not need to give out Biometrics). Then I noticed that the name for my application had changed from mine to my son's.

It really seems that this is either a system error or human error on their end, as I am sure I submitted the correct application form for myself, which is an IMM1295 form, and my son's is an IMM5257. And I have the submission confirmation page with the application number and my name on it. Adding to this, I had logged in earlier and saw that my name was correctly displayed (only odd thing I noticed is that my application did not have a UIC number for me, but the other applications for my family did have a UIC #).

One other thing to mention is that we had all put our names in upper case letters on the submitted forms, and the ones for my wife and sons still appear that way, except for mine, which shows the name of my son in lower-case (except for the first letter of each name). It was only after we got the notification messaged that the name was changed. So it seems as someone typed this out on my application.

We have now received the Biometrics instruction letter for my wife, which is correct, but now we are not sure if we should try to go ahead to the VAC in our country (which is in a different city from where we live). I believe the VAC will not be able to take my biometrics, as the letter I have for it has my son's name on it. I am concerned that this will delay our application process, and my wife studies in Canada start in the first days of May.

For the moment, I have both tried to send an email to the Canadian Embassy in Mexico (which is where our applications will be processed) and sent a technical issue report within myCIC, but not sure if any of this options will help with this matter.

Is there any other way I can get help get this corrected? Any other instance I can go to? Should I try to call the embassy in Mexico?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rschenkel

Feb 15, 2019
Wait for them to respond is probably the best bet.
Thanks for your suggestion. We have already made the biometrics appointment with VAC in our country. It is a 4 hour car ride (one way), so we are going to go and hope for the best. Thinking they might have a way to help us with this. Or perhaps just take my biometrics and save them until my application is fixed. But at least I know they will be able to take my wife's biometrics.

Best regards.