+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDY PERMIT -Got my Port Of Entry (POE) letter before Passport Request Letter(PRL)

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
Hi
I am citizen of India and applied for my Canadian study permit on 18th September, 2023. I received a medical exam request on the 13th October and it was updated on 20th October. On 23rd, I get the Port of Entry letter(POE) and when I check my application status in the application tracker website, it says that my application is "Closed". Now I am confused as to why I would receive the POE letter before my Passport Submission Request and why would the application status would be "Closed". As far as I know, we are supposed to get the POE letter after passport stamping. I am still awaiting my passport submission request as of now. Pls advise.
Thanks.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi
I am citizen of India and applied for my Canadian study permit on 18th September, 2023. I received a medical exam request on the 13th October and it was updated on 20th October. On 23rd, I get the Port of Entry letter(POE) and when I check my application status in the application tracker website, it says that my application is "Closed". Now I am confused as to why I would receive the POE letter before my Passport Submission Request and why would the application status would be "Closed". As far as I know, we are supposed to get the POE letter after passport stamping. I am still awaiting my passport submission request as of now. Pls advise.
Thanks.
It could be an error on their part of sending you the POE, send a web form ASAP to try and get clarification. You can travel before getting your PP stamped.

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
It could be an error on their part of sending you the POE, send a web form ASAP to try and get clarification. You can travel before getting your PP stamped.
Raised the webform a week back....heard from them saying that it has sent to the concerned office for review. Let's wait and watch for now.

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
My reply should have said "can't" travel. Nothing you can do but wait for an answer to your web form.
The webform says that "you will not receive a reply from IRCC if your application is within the normal processing times". My applcication has been there for almost 7 weeks out of the 11 weeks it takes (official timing for study permit). So there is a chance right??. Also, does this explain as to why I haven't received any reply to my enquiry yet?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The webform says that "you will not receive a reply from IRCC if your application is within the normal processing times". My applcication has been there for almost 7 weeks out of the 11 weeks it takes (official timing for study permit). So there is a chance right??. Also, does this explain as to why I haven't received any reply to my enquiry yet?
A chance it will be approved within the 11 weeks? Yes. And yes to why you haven't received a response.

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
A chance it will be approved within the 11 weeks? Yes. And yes to why you haven't received a response.
I got a reply from IRCC. Had went to Canada a year back (2022) on Visitor Visa which is valid till 2031(stayed there for less than 6 months). Now, I am going to stay there for a period of 5 years on study permit . Is it possible to re-enter with that visa? , as the OFFICIAL reply was:

"We verified the information you provided.

We are pleased to inform you that your temporary resident visa (TRV) was issued on 2022, and it will expire on 2031.

Furthermore, we are pleased to inform you that your online study permit application was approved on 2023.

The port of entry letter (also known as the letter of introduction) is available in your account.

Please print this letter as you will need to present it at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada so that your permit can be issued to you.

Additionally, your TRV can be used for travel along with POE letter."

What could this mean???

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I got a reply from IRCC. Had went to Canada a year back (2022) on Visitor Visa which is valid till 2031(stayed there for less than 6 months). Now, I am going to stay there for a period of 5 years on study permit . Is it possible to re-enter with that visa? , as the OFFICIAL reply was:

"We verified the information you provided.

We are pleased to inform you that your temporary resident visa (TRV) was issued on 2022, and it will expire on 2031.

Furthermore, we are pleased to inform you that your online study permit application was approved on 2023.

The port of entry letter (also known as the letter of introduction) is available in your account.

Please print this letter as you will need to present it at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada so that your permit can be issued to you.

Additionally, your TRV can be used for travel along with POE letter."

What could this mean???
Congrats. It means your study permit has been approved. You can travel and enter Canada, subject to CBSA approval at the POE using your visitor visa. Your study permit will be issued at the POE. The length of validity of the study permit will be shown when it is issued to you at the POE.

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
Congrats. It means your study permit has been approved. You can travel and enter Canada, subject to CBSA approval at the POE using your visitor visa. Your study permit will be issued at the POE. The length of validity of the study permit will be shown when it is issued to you at the POE.
Okay I have a question, my friends who went with me to Canada a year back with the same visa, now when they applied for study permit got their PPR(they have got their TRV stamp in passport with a validity of 2 years, i.e. for masters program ). Why is there a difference?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Okay I have a question, my friends who went with me to Canada a year back with the same visa, now when they applied for study permit got their PPR(they have got their TRV stamp in passport with a validity of 2 years, i.e. for masters program ). Why is there a difference?
The TRV that was in the passport before the PPR, was it still valid? What type of TRV was recently put in their passport and when is it valid until, when does their passport expire?

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
The TRV that was in the passport before the PPR, was it still valid? What type of TRV was recently put in their passport and when is it valid until, when does their passport expire?
The TRV in the passport before PPR was WX-1 category(we went for a short-term internship), this TRV is valid for 9 years(2022 to 2031) . The TRV that is being stamped with respect to the study permit application is S1 category. As for the TRV expiry, the ones who are going for masters(2 years), it is 2025.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The TRV in the passport before PPR was WX-1 category(we went for a short-term internship), this TRV is valid for 9 years(2022 to 2031) . The TRV that is being stamped with respect to the study permit application is S1 category. As for the TRV expiry, the ones who are going for masters(2 years), it is 2025.
So your TRV, the visitor one is good until 2031. In your friends PP he didn't apply for and get a visitor TRV like you? If not, then his PP being stamped S1 until the end of the study period would be normal.

naved737

Oct 28, 2023
So your TRV, the visitor one is good until 2031. In your friends PP he didn't apply for and get a visitor TRV like you? If not, then his PP being stamped S1 until the end of the study period would be normal.
The TRV that was issued last year is common for me and my friends, valid until 2031(Wx-1 category). For the study permit application, they have received a TRV, while I haven't yet.....so confused if I can enter with that old TRV....is IRCC saying the same...am not sure

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The TRV that was issued last year is common for me and my friends, valid until 2031(Wx-1 category). For the study permit application, they have received a TRV, while I haven't yet.....so confused if I can enter with that old TRV....is IRCC saying the same...am not sure

This doesn't provide an answer your specific situation but I have found a reference saying a a person with a B-1 visa, if it is still valid and multiple entry, can use it to enter for tourism. If this is true for other types of visas, using your WX-1 to enter to study then is should be fine. That idea is backed up by IRCC telling you, Additionally, your TRV can be used for travel along with POE letter." So I THINK you are good to go, hopefully @scylla or @Naturgrl or @armoured will be able to give an opinion.

In the mean time, have you submitted a web form for clarification or do you have a friend in Canada who could call CBSA directly to get confirmation? As to why the officer gave your friend a S-1 visa when he still had a valid visa like you, I have no idea, probably a different officer and decided to issue the S-1.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=456&top=16

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This doesn't provide an answer your specific situation but I have found a reference saying a a person with a B-1 visa, if it is still valid and multiple entry, can use it to enter for tourism. If this is true for other types of visas, using your WX-1 to enter to study then is should be fine. That idea is backed up by IRCC telling you, Additionally, your TRV can be used for travel along with POE letter." So I THINK you are good to go, hopefully @scylla or @Naturgrl or @armoured will be able to give an opinion.

In the mean time, have you submitted a web form for clarification or do you have a friend in Canada who could call CBSA directly to get confirmation? As to why the officer gave your friend a S-1 visa when he still had a valid visa like you, I have no idea, probably a different officer and decided to issue the S-1.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=456&top=16
I have no idea.